Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want the Z07 but don’t want the rough ride. The main option I want from the stage 3 package is the ceramic carbon fiber brakes. Do you Guys and Galls think they will offer the ceramic carbon fiber brakes with the stage 2 package???

·
Registered
42 Posts
I want the Z07 but don’t want the rough ride. The main option I want from the stage 3 package is the ceramic carbon fiber breaks. Do you Guys and Galls think they will offer the ceramic carbon fiber breaks with the stage 2 package???
No they will not.

but with magnetic ride, it will not really be that harsh. If your comparing it to a lexus suv, then yes it may be harsher, but otherwise no.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
but with magnetic ride, it will not really be that harsh.
Hmm, very speculative (unless you've actually driven a Z07).

My speculation is that the Z07 will have one of the firmest suspensions available for 2015 (if not the firmest) - great for the track but not-so-great on public roads, even with magnetic ride.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well guess I will just go with the Z07 and see, only another 8000.00 what a deal LOL. I dont think it will be worse then my toyota truck daily driver... We will see

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Well guess I will just go with the Z07 and see, only another 8000.00 what a deal LOL. I dont think it will be worse then my toyota truck daily driver... We will see
Not a safe assumption. It all depends on what you want to use it for and where you live. At least 2 GM corvette team members have said they would not buy it if you weren't planning on using it on the track. As a daily driver it will be quite uncomfortable, even with mag ride.

One point that was made is due to the stiffness of the frame the spring rate are the highest they have ever used. The best shock it the world can't soften a spring.

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
153 Posts
After watching all the videos by Harlan Charles and Tadge regarding the Z07, I'd skip it. Unless you're going to track your car most of the time. The regular brakes will probably be better than 99.9% of the cars on the market.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I'd bet we will not see CCBs on any Z06 other than Z07 this year...MAYBE never.

My current plan is to skip the Z07 and add CCBs if I feel the need after getting the Z06. (Something tells me the steel brakes will be just fine,)

Trying to soften up a Z07 may not be easy. Springs and sway bar bushings is not rocket science. Swapping out tires is easy. But how the heck does the mag ride calibration get swapped. Plus, are any of the nannies optimized for the Cup 2 tires. It would not surprise me.

As much as I have a love affair with the idea of having CCBs, there is a limit to the amount of money or grief I'm willing to deal with in order to have them.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I agree. Good decision Joel. For what we're going to be doing with these cars, I'm sure the steel brakes are going to probably exceed any expectations we have. Besides, even CCB's are required to be replaced at some time..... The last I heard the price on those puppies can make a grown man cry... So if the CCB's are the only reason you've even entertained the thought of the Z07 package, it don't make any sense to this old Irishman.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The Ceramic brakes look kinda cool but how much better will they really perform? I honestly have no idea, maybe a few feet less than the regular Z06 brakes? I do know it's much more expensive when it's time for brakes.

·
18,670 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
My Z07 order went in yesterday. I have made a very informed decision and can't wait to add this car to my collection...at least until the next ZR1 (or Zora??) is made.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
The Ceramic brakes look kinda cool but how much better will they really perform? I honestly have no idea, maybe a few feet less than the regular Z06 brakes? I do know it's much more expensive when it's time for brakes.
On the street you will never feel the difference and I doubt they will record any magical new stopping distances as the steel brakes are pretty amazing already. The tires are your limiting factor in magazine tests.

What the CF brakes give you is repeatable performance on the track. They simply don't fade and they dissipate heat very fast so repeated braking is massive and predictable.

Honestly, CF brakes are a waste of money on the street but they certainly look cool.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I posted this on another thread but thought it appropriate here too.

My dealer spent most of week in Dallas with Corvette engineers and other dealers. I asked him to find out if the Z07 is okay as a daily driver or to take on short trips. He told me he spoke to a lot of engineers with seat time in the Z07. I think he summed it up best when he said: "The Z07 is a track car that can be driven on the street. If you don't mind a very stiff ride on the street and on trips then get it."

·
18,670 Posts
Thanks Jim. And for those who live in states with lousy roads, take Jim's post above and multiply the Z07 effect by 5. For those who live in states with great roads, take Jim's comment exactly as posted.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts