Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who ordered or otherwise have multiple roofs for your C7, why did you order multiple roofs and do you use all of them?

As I ponder a new Vette I think about my life with my C4. I have the smoked top and a solid top. Other than when my Dad took possession at the dealership almost 28 years ago and for one very short drive, my C4 has always had the smoked top on or been topless. The car was delivered with the solid top and the smoked glass arrived a couple weeks later if I recall things properly. And I popped the solid top in a couple years ago just to see what it was like, didn't like it, went right back to the glass.

I've seen some posts where the only reason I see people having two tops and using them is due to living in hot climates and going solid in summer to help with solar heating. Any other reasons folks have? Or have you ended up like me and just use one so the other sits around?

As a side note, after 27+ years of darn near no sun, the top color doesn't quite match the rest of the car despite it being waxed regularly, and generally being garaged and covered when not being driven. Time takes a toll I guess!

·
Registered
5 Posts
For those of you who ordered or otherwise have multiple roofs for your C7, why did you order multiple roofs and do you use all of them?

As I ponder a new Vette I think about my life with my C4. I have the smoked top and a solid top. Other than when my Dad took possession at the dealership almost 28 years ago and for one very short drive, my C4 has always had the smoked top on or been topless. The car was delivered with the solid top and the smoked glass arrived a couple weeks later if I recall things properly. And I popped the solid top in a couple years ago just to see what it was like, didn't like it, went right back to the glass.

I've seen some posts where the only reason I see people having two tops and using them is due to living in hot climates and going solid in summer to help with solar heating. Any other reasons folks have? Or have you ended up like me and just use one so the other sits around?

As a side note, after 27+ years of darn near no sun, the top color doesn't quite match the rest of the car despite it being waxed regularly, and generally being garaged and covered when not being driven. Time takes a toll I guess!
I ordered the dual roof option (transparent and body color). In sunny CA during the summer I mainly use the body color and during the sort of winter I use the transparent. I love to have the transparent on for nice evening drives because driving through the city (SF or LA) and being able to see the buildings and surrounding area is a different experience. I like options which is why I also have multiple watches, cars, bikes etc.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have multiple top for the same reason that C7BigTime posted, I even purchased an addition solid AW top that I had painted Carbon Flash to go with my White and Transparent top. I guess I like options, it is amazing how different the car looks just by changing the roof.

·
Registered
283 Posts
This car comes with so many option whether it's the exhaust, the suspension, shifting, electronics and I wanted to continue that with the top so I ordered the dual roof option (clear/body color). I'm a man with different driving personalities and want the car to be able to reflect that not only mechanically but visually as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
25 Posts
I didn't order any of the optional tops with my C7 to keep cost down. I did find a guy that got a C7 off the dealer lot with 2 tops and did not want the clear top. I am now a happy camper when I use my clear top during the evenings here in NYC. Great views.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Good question and my main reason was that, I had ordered the dual stripe package and with the transparent top that I like very much but I could not carry the dual stripe theme across the roof. So, I ordered the dual roof Bodycolor/transparent and so far do not regret it. I know that there will be times when I want the transparency look as I drive it and times that I want the stripe look etc. The stripe look is really a good look at Show and Shines if the weather is iffy. I can also put the transparent one in the trunk at the shines to show it off as well. I am really happy with the option. If the transparent one is your secondary roof so to speak, then you should not have too much of a problem with paint fade over time.

STUNG:cool:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your thoughts folks. I suspect that even though I don't use the solid top on my current Vette I will order both the painted top and a transparent top when the time comes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the transparent top but also bought the aftermarket stick in panel. It's heavy duty thick and keeps the heat out this summer. Off comes fall till winter and then back on to keep the heat in on those nice winter days.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have a transparent roof for sale if anyone is interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

1 - 12 of 12 Posts