Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Know a lot of you have waited too long between the time your StingRay left the factory and it arrival, via rail to your area, then to your dealer. Here's an article that discusses this issue from the perspective of many car companies experiencing this problem, primarily, but not exclusively being blamed on winter weather. Thanks to "steveinaz" for his sending this article my way -- for he just got his StingRay at long last yesterday due to the railroad shipping delays, and he is spending his time driving around, smiling, today!

AutoNews said:
Weather-related rail congestion keeps vehicles parked near factories!

Across the Rust Belt, thousands of freshly built cars, pickups and SUVs are parked, waiting for a ride that’s late.

A brutal winter and the highest automotive production in a decade have strained railroads and moved automakers to use more expensive over-the-road trucks to get their vehicles to dealerships.

Railroads in the lower Great Lakes region took a substantial hit from severe winter weather. Record or near record snowfalls impaired train movements and their crews’ ability to get to work. Subfreezing temperatures also reduce the number of rail cars an engine can pull.

‘Long winter’!!!

Residual congestion from the weather remains, especially for CSX Transportation. According to performance statistics reported to the Association of American Railroads, the average speeds of CSX multilevel trains -- those mainly handling auto carriers -- were off 18 percent during much of March compared with a year ago. Other railroads -- Norfolk Southern, BNSF Railway and Union Pacific -- also reported reduced average speeds in March.

“This has been a long winter,” said Carla Groleau, a CSX spokeswoman. “As the weather continues to improve, we hope our operations will continue to improve, too. We’re certainly moving as safely and swiftly as we can.”

Making the rail issues worse is the volume of vehicles set for shipment. North American light-vehicle production hit almost 16.2 million units last year, the highest level since 2002. In 2014, light-vehicle production is expected to reach almost 17.3 million units.

Nearly all major automakers, especially those with factories in the Midwest, say their rail deliveries are still delayed. Though automakers are reluctant to talk about their strategies to keep vehicles flowing to dealerships, many say they have turned to over-the-road trucks. Honda, Chrysler and Toyota acknowledge boosting their reliance on trucks in recent weeks.

Chrysler Group, for example, ships many of the vehicles it produces in the Midwest from rail yards in Toledo, Ohio, but because of the weather and a shortage of auto-hauling rail cars, it’s using trucks and other rail routes to avoid delays, a spokeswoman said.

A spokesman for General Motors said the company is “coping with slowing throughput” of the continent’s rail network, but said it expects the backlog to abate as the weather improves."

·
Registered
242 Posts
This is what my dealer told me yesterday after telling me earlier that I'd have it on 4/15. I'm currently at 4200 Status.

"I just talked to GM's Business Development Center who tracks the car's once they leave the Factory and due to a rail car shortage the car might be delayed a couple weeks beyond its expiration of transit of 4/15 on its factory invoice."

·
Registered
19 Posts
Rail is backed up for all industries, hearings held today on the issue in Wash, DC. Some rail experts are saying it may be a year before they "catch-up". Oil shipments alone are up 4,300% in the last five years. Too few companies involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
16.2 million units, and Corvette will sell about 34,000 units in the 2014 model year, how cool is that!? Very cool to in a very short time be a member of the super rare American super car C7 club. :)

·
Registered
391 Posts
About 10 days ago went to my local Chevy Dealer and put A deposit down on A 2014 1lt,no bells and whistles.They said I'm on the fence .
They said I will either get it in June,or I will have to wait til the 2015's come out.Then they said it would be Augest or September.Im thinking I might as well forget about June.And maybe think I might get it by November,December or even January 2015.I don't even have an order number for it.

·
Registered
810 Posts
First, I like your forum name, which is really ironic considering your post. 2nd, my understanding is there are larger dealers with inventory similar to your order on their lots. I suggest you look outside the realm of your local dealer.

·
Registered
104 Posts
About 10 days ago went to my local Chevy Dealer and put A deposit down on A 2014 1lt,no bells and whistles.They said I'm on the fence .
They said I will either get it in June,or I will have to wait til the 2015's come out.Then they said it would be Augest or September.Im thinking I might as well forget about June.And maybe think I might get it by November,December or even January 2015.I don't even have an order number for it.
Read and get educated about the buying process. It sounds like you don't really have a C7 ordered.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
There are threads on here regarding buying and ordering a Corvette. Pay special attention to the "Allocation" process as that is the key. Next ask your dealer if he has any allocations left for the 2014 model of your choice. If he says yes, ask how many and where you are on his list for one of those. He either does or does not have allocations left for 2014. If he does and you get one, you will get a car. If he doesn't you will definitely be getting a 2015, however depending on how many 2015 allocations he actually gets and when he gets them is key. My dealer only got 4 allocations for the 2014 model year, and he didn't get his first until 3/14, so anybody that would have ordered with him in early/mid 2013 would have been waiting a really long time. Your best bet is to go with one of the larger east coast dealers like MacMulkin, you will get your car, and he may have the one you want in stock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts