Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I figure people as eager as myself would benefit from other people's experience as far as delivery by rail goes (at least for us left coast folks). If we can get enough data I'm hoping this can act as a good baseline so others may guesstimate a rough delivery date. So I'll start with mine and update as I go.

From VDC in Toledo, OH to Portland, OR:

5/12 Monday night: Depart Toledo, OH VDC
5/13 Tues 8am PST: Illinois
5/14 Wed 8am PST: Omaha-ish, NE
5/15 Thurs 1am PST: Cheyenne, WY
5/16 Fri 4pm PST: Laramie, WY
5/18 Sun 9pm PST: Hinkle, OR (VDC where from here it will be put on a truck straight to my dealer in Portland)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hard to say, my TPW was 4/28, my car went from "queued for production" to "shipped/enroute" sometime between 5/1 and 5/2, then I was bayed for a while, and I think I found out it was in Toledo on the morning of 5/8. I assume it would just be a 1 day trip to go the 400 miles by truck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey Stanton, glad your car is on the way. As of this morning my car is in Toledo, and my dealer is telling me it will take another month to get to my delivering dealer. It must be coming by rickshaw...

How are you tracking your car??

·
18,670 Posts
The "worst rail delivery" ever reported was 42 days from Bowling Green, coincidentally to your state. Things have improved since then, but as per the above article, still poor. The 42 day delivery was about five months ago. The worst recent delivery reported was 32 days from BG to the West Coast. Let's hope your dealer is wrong, and you get it in about three weeks, but less than that would be unrealistic. Sorry!

·
Registered
18 Posts
The "worst rail delivery" ever reported was 42 days from Bowling Green, coincidentally to your state. Things have improved since then, but as per the above article, still poor. The 42 day delivery was about five months ago. The worst recent delivery reported was 32 days from BG to the West Coast. Let's hope your dealer is wrong, and you get it in about three weeks, but less than that would be unrealistic. Sorry!
John, thanks for the info. Just getting anxious. They say that anticipation is the best part of a purchase, I think that is [email protected]#t. The best part of this purchase is getting to drive the car...

Mike

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mine is close to 30 going to NH. I agree the anticipation is not fun

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Stanton, glad your car is on the way. As of this morning my car is in Toledo, and my dealer is telling me it will take another month to get to my delivering dealer. It must be coming by rickshaw...

How are you tracking your car??
I'm just bugging customer assistance every day via "chat." Go to the tracking website and click the chat button on the bottom right.

Sent from my EVO using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am pretty sure that worst rail delivery was mine, Candy was stuck on a train for quite a while. She was built on Nov 4th, but I wasn't able to pick her up at Suburban in Sandy OR until December 15th. Well, at least I got her undamaged...

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
I am pretty sure that worst rail delivery was mine, Candy was stuck on a train for quite a while. She was built on Nov 4th, but I wasn't able to pick her up at Suburban in Sandy OR until December 15th. Well, at least I got her undamaged...
I thought it was Art's, from Washington, when he picked up his Laguna Blue around the first of the year. His got caught on trains in snow banks which shut down the railroad lines for weeks.

·
Registered
755 Posts
kIf one knows the rail car # and the rail company that is moving it, can we not track the rail car on the internet? I think we can but not sure how it is done. Dealer usually gets a rail car # when the cars are shipped.
Once they get across the border into Canada they go pretty fast across the baren waste land of the Canadian shield and Prairies to the West Coast with a slight hickup in the Rockies. Not too many railcrossings to whistle through. haha!! I guess they horn through them nowadays eh? LOL !!

·
Registered
18 Posts
5/18 Sun 9pm PST: Hinkle, OR (VDC where from here it will be put on a truck straight to my dealer in Portland)
So Stanton, have you gotten your car?? Mine is still in Shipping Limbo...

·
Registered
445 Posts
Per Autoblog
180,000 new vehicles are sitting, derailed by lack of transport trains - Autoblog

If you're planning on buying a new car in the next month or so, you might want to pick from what's on the lot, because there could be a long wait for new vehicles from the factory. Locomotives continue to be in short supply in North America, and that's causing major delays for automakers trying to move assembled cars.

According to The Detroit News, there are about 180,000 new vehicles waiting to be transported by rail in North America at the moment. In a normal year, it would be about 69,000. The complications have been industry-wide. Toyota, General Motors, Honda and Ford all reported experiencing some delays, and Chrysler recently had hundreds of minivans sitting on the Detroit waterfront waiting to be shipped out.

The problem is twofold for automakers. First, the fracking boom in the Bakken oil field in the Plains and Canada is monopolizing many locomotives. Second, the long, harsh winter is still causing major delays in freight train travel. The bad weather forced trains to slow down and carry less weight, which caused a backup of goods to transport. The auto companies resorted to moving some vehicles by truck, which was a less efficient but necessary option.

Now, things are finally starting to improve. The weather is warming, and the freight industry is putting more trains on the rails. According to The Detroit News, shipments will finally get back on track to normal in early July. That will give automakers a few months reprieve before the snow will begin falling again.

·
Registered
579 Posts
kIf one knows the rail car # and the rail company that is moving it, can we not track the rail car on the internet? I think we can but not sure how it is done. Dealer usually gets a rail car # when the cars are shipped.
Once they get across the border into Canada they go pretty fast across the baren waste land of the Canadian shield and Prairies to the West Coast with a slight hickup in the Rockies. Not too many railcrossings to whistle through. haha!! I guess they horn through them nowadays eh? LOL !!
I have heard train stops in Calgary and then its trucked here. lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
Literally just arrived 2 hours ago. I was there for it!
Jealous.....

Congrats. Tomorrow & Saturday are supposed to be great Corvette driving weather. Enjoy. :cool:

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
Reactions: stanton

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
currently my C7 is in new Boston Michigan, and has been there at distribution for 32 days as of today. NOT HAPPY
Oh man, really sorry to hear that, waiting for mine was tough enough and mine moved fairly quickly compared to many others. Built 5/2, arrived 5/22. Hang in there buddy.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts