Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the windows are down and I'm on anything but an extremely smooth road, I hear a squeaky rattle. It's hard to pinpoint, but sounds like it's coming from inside the driver side mirror. There's nothing I can do to stop it (i.e. I've tried pushing/holding the mirror but I still hear it). It's possible it's coming from somewhere else outside the car - it's hard to tell exactly. If the windows are up, I don't hear it so it has to be outside the car.

Any thoughts? Anyone else have this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
When the windows are down and I'm on anything but an extremely smooth road, I hear a squeaky rattle. It's hard to pinpoint, but sounds like it's coming from inside the driver side mirror. There's nothing I can do to stop it (i.e. I've tried pushing/holding the mirror but I still hear it). It's possible it's coming from somewhere else outside the car - it's hard to tell exactly. If the windows are up, I don't hear it so it has to be outside the car.

Any thoughts? Anyone else have this issue?

That's a new one for me. Are you sure it's not in the door?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a new one for me. Are you sure it's not in the door?
It's possible I guess, but I think I would hear it with the windows up if it were coming from the door. I only hear it with the windows down, which is strange because there's so much more air noise that way. Once I get up to about 45MPH, the wind noise is louder than the rattle so I don't hear it.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Here is a test for you. Adjust the mirror electrically as far as it will go left, check for the vibration, adjust it all the way to the right, repeat. See if this makes any difference.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent idea! I've been pushing on the mirror with my hand, but hadn't thought about adjusting the mirror motor to see if it changes anything internally in the mirror.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I gave it a shot. Moved the mirror in all positions with no affect on the rattle. Guess I'll have to see what the dealer thinks. I'm not convinced its the mirror, but the rattle is definitely coming from outside the car.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Make sure to let us know what they discover. Some earlier owners were having speaker brackets in the door rattle, but you did not mention having your radio on. Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine sounds like a handful of pennies rattling around. I think its in the door, and that with the window all the way up, whatever is chafing is isolated. First visit to dealer identified inadequately insulated clips. "Fix" lasted a few miles, but rattle came right back. Its in the shop now, Ill follow up with results. Rest of the car is sooo solid, this rattle driving me nuts...

2014 Lime rock green launch edition convertible...

·
Administrator
16,313 Posts
Welcome to our forum db9outstingrayin :cool: Sorry to read of your rattle and looking forward to their finding a solution. :cool:

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Mine sounds like a handful of pennies rattling around. I think its in the door, and that with the window all the way up, whatever is chafing is isolated. First visit to dealer identified inadequately insulated clips. "Fix" lasted a few miles, but rattle came right back. Its in the shop now, Ill follow up with results. Rest of the car is sooo solid, this rattle driving me nuts...

Well, the good news is they found out where it was coming from. That is 90% of the battle won right there...

·
Registered
4,607 Posts

Please also see if they looked / or found "other" possible sources and what did they do to isolate it / them.
Phinman have you found out anything about yours?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Please also see if they looked / or found "other" possible sources and what did they do to isolate it / them.
Salesman and service manager have both acknowledged that this high pitched rattle persists and is totally annoying, continues with road test with all interior trim removed as well, so it's in the door. This is it's 4th visit for a fix... Said please don't call me to pick it up 'till you're satisfied it's fixed. I know it might seem retentive, but I won't keep the car unless this is resolved. Boxster S, Maserati, BMW M6 cab 6-speed, Aston DB9, finally try American with this otherwise awesome car...Hope I don't have to bail over this rattle

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haven't had a chance to take mine to the dealer yet. I wrapped a towel around the sideview mirror and drove around and could still here it, so I'm thinking it's not in the mirror. I can still only hear it when the windows are down. Since it's been 100 degrees out, I've not taken opportunity to experiment more with the location.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts