Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Z51 3LT model and it has recently developed a really nasty "rattling" or "clanking" anytime a slight bump is hit. It is coming from the area where the passenger handle grip is near the center console. If I push into the corner of where the center console meets the handle area and the A/C fan speed it will stop, but when the pressure is relieved it happens again. I have brought it to the dealer - twice - each time they claim to have fixed it but then it comes back. THey said they removed the panels, adjusted / lubricated the clips.

I find it very frustrating that it keeps coming back and now it is all I hear. Has anyone else had this issue, and if so how was it solved?

On a completely separate but equally annoying note, the passenger seat will vibrate and make a rattling noise if I run over a bump. This appears to be due to side-to-side motion of the seat. I have adjusted the passenger seat and got it to go away for awhile, but now it is coming back so I find myself trying to adjust the passenger seat position to make it stop. I doubt the car should be like this. Anyone have this issue?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
pretty simple - pull the console - which is all just clips, no screws - and look at the harnesses near the power outlet, most likely they are not secured and vibrating...

no idea on the seat...I'd get under there and look for play in the whole adjusting/base mechanism...

and find another dealer, this stuff is basic for a tech....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips. The rattling isn't coming necessary from directly under the center console where the power outlet is, it seems to be where the center console, passenger handle and AC paneling all come together, in the passenger side forward corner. Do you still think it might be the harnesses?

·
1,400 Posts
For the passenger seat rattle...make sure it isn't the passenger seat belt hitting the seat frame. That has been a recurring issue.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Pull The console and take it out of the car
And get in the car , go down the road and get somebody to listen for the rattle

the lack of console will open up that whole area

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glen -

Thanks for the tip. I know you had a thread somewhere I saw on how to remove when you painted yours the carbon flash. I'll go back and have a look. Unfortunately I must admit I'm not the "handiest" of guys but it also didn't seem to bad. The dealer was saying it was loose / dry clips allowing the stacked panels where the leather / aluminum / carbon fiber stack up to the top left of the passenger side air bag. Certainly can't hurt though to remove the console and give it a shot. Appreciate all the feedback so far, but sounds like I'm the only one with this issue...

·
Registered
10,545 Posts
Like Glen said, find a new dealer with a service department which will do what it takes to find and fix this for you.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
My wife put one of the shoulder pads on her belt. The pad keeps her belt from retracting fully. When I hit a bump her seat belt buckle hits the door or seat frame. Sometimes its loud and sometimes a soft rattle. cutnout aka Charlie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts