Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
P4170015.JPG

Last night after driving home from the office, the back of my C7 was completely covered with oil. I immediately took it to the car wash then saw a puddle on my driveway this morning. Drove it to the dealer and they found the cooling hose for the rear axle came off. They now are keeping the car and have to pull apart the axle to inspect it, and may have to replace it based upon whether all the oil came out and damaged it. I’ve only had it 2 weeks! Ahhhhh!!! Fortunately I have an extra, but was really looking forward to this warmer weekend and the new car.

Will someone yell at Kentucky for me? Jeff

·
Administrator
15,548 Posts
That is unfortunate Rigos2000. Hope they get it back to you quickly. Welcome to our forum by the way!

·
Registered
827 Posts
Sorry to read the bad news. Hope there's no problems found.

·
18,667 Posts
Unfortunately Z-51 rear half shaft seal problems, if that is what it is, are not new (though usually occurring in colder weather than you are now having). Hope it gets fixed soon, and would you please, later post here what they found and fixed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Chip: No warning signs on the IP at all. I put my briefcase in the trunk so know it was not an issue then, 22 miles later covered in oil. I'll post what I find when the dealer solves the problem.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Jeff; If you can find out, ask how much rear end hypoid grease was left in the diff.? Or conversely how much grease leaked out? As John has stated there have been others with half shaft seal failures and I am curious to know if: 1) Are new seals available? (new part no.?) and 2) Will they replace both axle half shaft seals or just the one that has failed?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Les Stanford in Dearborn, MI corrected the problem and did a great job of fixing this issue. The problem was the assembly line worker did not "seat" the cooling hose properly and it blew out. The hose is similar to many water faucets you buy these days, in which you don't thread anything on, you just push the hose into a receptacle and it locks into place. The worker did not lock this in properly. Fortunately I was only driving a short distance to my home (22 miles), and it may have happened 1/2 way through the trip. I found the problem and got the car to the dealer right away so no axle problem (just a lot of oil that is under the car that I am cleaning today). There were no notices on the instrument panel so if the trip were longer a major problem would have incurred. Glad to have the car back, and Kentucky should probably put a little better QC into this process. Really nice car though!

·
Registered
10,269 Posts
I'm curious, Rigos2000, did you ask the dealership to clean ALL the oil from your car as part of the warranty service, or did you prefer to clean it yourself?

Hopefully the QC will get better. It reminds me of one of the reasons the workers are threatening a strike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts