Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read that GM designed a fancy little trick that opens up a vent or something that makes it easier to close the rear hatch by allowing air pressure to escape when closing it. Mine takes a lot of force to shut when the windows are up and doors closed. So much so, it takes a few tries to close it. If a window or door is open, no problem. I'd anyone having this issue? VY coupe, 3LT. Thanks

·
Registered
10,551 Posts
This is a well-known issue. Many people reported it got better with time, and got better after many, many open/close cycles of the hatch over time.

In the meantime, many people choose to leave a door open until the hatch gasket breaks in.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. We'll give it a bit of time then.

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,681 Posts
The later C6's had that auto draw down, really liked that. It would have been nice if the C7's had it too, it's got all the latest gadgets and gizmos now accept that.:confused:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have the same problem... 2 weeks in of a new 2015 z51, everyday use.
Not getting any better, it's kinda embarrassing having to close it 2-3 times...

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I have not had much of the issue closing the rear hatch. For me it's all in how you flick the wrist and give it a good snap as you close the hatch.

I clearly realize that for some it can be an issue, for me at least I am successful in closing 98% of the time.

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
He needs to bulk up a bit more!

Reactions: somethincreativ

·
Administrator
16,504 Posts
I have the same problem... 2 weeks in of a new 2015 z51, everyday use.
Not getting any better, it's kinda embarrassing having to close it 2-3 times...
Two weeks is not enough time for the seal to ease. A couple of months will have it settled in nicely as well as getting you more comfortable with the best pressure and speed that works for you and your Stingray. Hang in there. :cool:

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Starting at about 4500 miles, mine closed all the time, every time, as said above, give it time. Gaskests that were weak and easy right away would be worthless at 50k miles .....

·
1,400 Posts
Starting at about 4500 miles, mine closed all the time, every time, as said above, give it time. Gaskests that were weak and easy right away would be worthless at 50k miles .....
Mine is at 6500 miles and still won't latch unless I slam hard or leave a door open.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I have 2900 miles on mine and it is much better than when it was new. What I did that also helped a lot was spray silicon lube on a rag and wipe the seal down with it. It helped a lot and has lasted for about 5 months now while the seal breaks in.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this to you or not. During my walk-around at the dealer they had a "stingray" guy show me all the little tricks to the car. If the hatch doesn't close all the way use the balls of your hands and press down simultaneously on the creases that come down below the back glass right next to the opening of the hatch. It will latch it and you wont have to keep trying to slam it shut. At first I had to do this a lot but now it closes on its own almost all the time now.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Didn't someone post on here that they adjusted the rubber stoppers, by twisting them in, and that made it easier to close the rear hatch?

·
Registered
296 Posts
On my C5's, I always opened a door to close the hatch. With the door open, the hatch closes with little effort.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
This is evidence that the cabin/interior are air tight and not leaky. If I remember correctly, this was a situation that existed in the VW Bugs of 50+ years ago, and they advised leaving a window cracked open. They advertised that it was a "feature" of an air tight car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I made a suggestion to GM that what they needed to do was to index the windows down when the hatch is opened.

Then you would have enough air flow to get the hatch closed just like the doors. It would just be a software change.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I made a suggestion to GM that what they needed to do was to index the windows down when the hatch is opened.

Then you would have enough air flow to get the hatch closed just like the doors. It would just be a software change.
That is a brilliant idea! I hope they are listening.
Derik

1 - 20 of 20 Posts