Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife came to airport to pick me up last week. I told her to be sure and drive the Stingray . I immedately noticed the low tire pressure symbol. Hmmm, I thought. looked at the tire pressure monitoring page and it says Left Rear Tire Pressure Low indicating 17 psi. I be damned.... The pressure monitors have already failed on this thing. Whatever, we go to dinner, its dark outside as I look at the tire, but it looks good to me. But, it WAS dark out.

Next morning we are planning on leaving about 6:40 am to go to the Corvette Club of Orlando Saturday morning breakfast.Ithink, ya know what, I should probably check that tire pressure for the hell of it. Holy Cow.... 17 psi. I feel around the tread and sure enough a large nail..... just about 1 inch from the edge. So, i put some air in the tire...Pressure seems to be holding. We take off to the breakfast. This was our first time at a function with this club. Made some new friends, and got a recommendation for a mechanic at a Chevy dealer where all this mechanic does is work on Corvettes. That's the guy I need. We follow another member to the dealer and mechanic comes out to see if he can plug it.....NOPE too close to the edge and sidewall is probably damaged.

Well, can't get a tire from his supplier til the following week. So, on Monday I call the dealer where I bought the car and talked with my salesman. Told him about the nail and asked if they could do anything about it, as in replacement. Of course, NO is the answer. He did offer to let me use his employee discount to buy the replacement. So, parts guy calls me back and says instead of $499 they could do $437. Well, i figger, that discount could pay for the mounting. I told him go ahead order it.

Next day. Parts Manager calls me and says good news / bad news.. Bad news... can't get the tire till late in the week or maybe even next week. Good news.... VERY good news. Parts Manager called Michelin and on a ONE time non recurring basis. Michelin will replace the tire at NO CHARGE.. now THAT is good customer service. Having only a little over 200 miles on it probably had some impact.

On a side note. they are doing construction in our community building new homes. A week later, our daily driver with onlly 1200 miles give a low tire pressure reading. sure enough another damned nail in the tire. THAT one was plugged. Right now , nails in the tire senario is getting OLD for me!!!!!!!

Reactions: Red-Ray

·
Registered
429 Posts
New construction. I wonder what liability the contractors carry. On such a site, nails and screws should be considered a road hazard. Gotta love those guys.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Feel for you, but you had good results. We have built 5 personal homes and I always walk the street in evenings looking for nails. You can see them in the day time from your car if you take the time. Hope you don't have to deal with it again.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I get them at Lowes or Home Depot. I would maybe speak to the head construction guy and let him know.

·
Administrator
16,496 Posts
Of all the tacked on , useless adds a dealer will try and sell you, the tire insurance on a run flat car makes sense for many....
I did get it on RedHot and of course hope not to need it, but it has saved me $$ on some of my other cars.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Funny. A few of us had nails in our tires. I did as well. I was able to have my tire plugged at 256 miles. It never lost air or went flat. The other guy who bought his car the next day after me had a nail and I've heard of a few folks on here having nails. I think something funny about it. Too many to be a coincidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am in a business which requires us to sweep the roads twice a day.
Report the nail problem to the constructiuon sup. and if you don't get satisfaction tell him you'r going to reprt it to the city and Dept. of Trans. In my state they are required to keep the roads totally free from debires.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Get one of these and walk your route out of the sub. Contractors have a way of overlooking the simplest tasks when faced with all the intense work in building construction. With any luck the site supervisor will see you doing it and get the message loud and clear that they are not stepping up to the task. I once hand collected over a hundred nails and screws in the roadway at a Florida resort we were vacationing at. I threw the pile on the site manager's desk and demanded a discount on our rental unit...and I got it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm having another garage bay being added. My contractor is the prsident of our Corvette Club. I figure I saved $400+ in tires by having him build it.

·
Administrator
16,496 Posts
I'm having another garage bay being added. My contractor is the prsident of our Corvette Club. I figure I saved $400+ in tires by having him build it.
Now that is one clever solution redwhtconv! :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts