Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the first issue. 8 months in, and the first problem. I went to get the golf clubs out of the rear trunk, and nothing... The button on the trunk? Nope, The fob? Nope. The button on the door? Nope. Won't open.

So off with the plate, use the key, open the trunk, remove everything, go to shut it.. No auto close, I had to push it closed.

So... Searching the Internet, it seems like the lock actuator is dead, a trip to the dealer to confirm, and then wait for a new actuator... Grrrrr.... I assuming it's the actuator because, the frunk opens, (meaning the fuse for the lock actuators is fine, same circuit) And when I press any of the trunk buttons, the lights flash as they are supposed to. Just no open... Grrrr

I guess the clubs will have to ride passenger... lol

·
Administrator
16,940 Posts
Is it possible that your (main) battery is weak?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well, the first issue. 8 months in, and the first problem. I went to get the golf clubs out of the rear trunk, and nothing... The button on the trunk? Nope, The fob? Nope. The button on the door? Nope. Won't open.

So off with the plate, use the key, open the trunk, remove everything, go to shut it.. No auto close, I had to push it closed.

So... Searching the Internet, it seems like the lock actuator is dead, a trip to the dealer to confirm, and then wait for a new actuator... Grrrrr.... I assuming it's the actuator because, the frunk opens, (meaning the fuse for the lock actuators is fine, same circuit) And when I press any of the trunk buttons, the lights flash as they are supposed to. Just no open... Grrrr

I guess the clubs will have to ride passenger... lol
Wow! No golf too. What a bummer.

I assume the dealer will pay for new clubs while you wait?!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow! No golf too. What a bummer.

I assume the dealer will pay for new clubs while you wait?!
What? Did you read the post? I used the key and opened the trunk. Yes, I’ll be golfing. I’ll either take my M3 or the Tacoma…
And oh by the way, the car goes to the dealer on Tuesday, I suspect they will order a new actuator.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So here’s how my day went..

2AM, all the smoke detectors in the house go off announcing that they are 10 years old and should be replaced… 2 AM, I kid you not…

ok, I deal with it.

I had made an appointment to get the car looked at. I was going to drop it off tonight and have them look at it tomorrow. I check the trunk, yep didn’t work in the garage. Drive the 5 minutes to the dealer, just check it again.. It works… The fob, the trunk button, the door button, all work… I just had to laugh.. Canceled the appointment, put the top down, enjoyed the drive home…

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
So here’s how my day went..

2AM, all the smoke detectors in the house go off announcing that they are 10 years old and should be replaced… 2 AM, I kid you not…

ok, I deal with it.

I had made an appointment to get the car looked at. I was going to drop it off tonight and have them look at it tomorrow. I check the trunk, yep didn’t work in the garage. Drive the 5 minutes to the dealer, just check it again.. It works… The fob, the trunk button, the door button, all work… I just had to laugh.. Canceled the appointment, put the top down, enjoyed the drive home…
Yeah my smoke detectors always wait until about 3 in the morning before they announce they need new batteries. It's good no one can see me at 3 AM, buck naked on a ladder on the second floor changing batteries. -Bob

·
Administrator
16,940 Posts
Nose Mouth Smile Human body Jaw
Hard to get that image out of one's mind Bob. ;) At any rate, lets please return this thread to the original focus of 'rear trunk not opening or closing.' Thanks.

Reactions: warp ten

·
Registered
2015 Corvette Z51, LT2 package, manual, convertible, torch red
45 Posts
You can fit a set of golf clubs in a C8 trunk? I was wondering.

Gremlins.

·
Administrator
16,940 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
View attachment 281891 Hard to get that image out of one's mind Bob. ;) At any rate, lets please return this thread to the original focus of 'rear trunk not opening or closing.' Thanks.
Yep, sorry for the partial hijack; somewhat poor taste to boot. But it really is annoying when the detectors go off in the middle of the night. --Bob

Reactions: jsvette

·
Administrator
16,940 Posts
Yes when they had the revealTadge said you could put two sets of clubs in the trunk. My clubs are in there right now
I don't recall Tadge saying two sets of clubs will fit the C8, and certainly not two regular cart bags with full drivers. One set is doable.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got two stand bags in (Callaway hyperlite), but it was like playing Tetris, and most of the stuff in the bag (not clubs) had to come out.. But it was doable. No way on earth two (even normal) cart bags are fitting in there, and I doubt a staff bag would fit either..

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update...

Well it didn't fix itself. The problem reappeared, so back to the dealer. This time they actually had it while it wasn't working. They determined that it is an electrical fault in the liftgate control module, Part number, GM 84621821 . Of course there are none in the US parts chain, and it has to be shipped from the factory. still not sure if that module is available itself or they have to replace the entire actuator.. We shall see.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update...

Well it didn't fix itself. The problem reappeared, so back to the dealer. This time they actually had it while it wasn't working. They determined that it is an electrical fault in the liftgate control module, Part number, GM 84621821 . Of course there are none in the US parts chain, and it has to be shipped from the factory. still not sure if that module is available itself or they have to replace the entire actuator.. We shall see.
Same thing happening to me here, trunk wouldnt open, scheduled appointment, that day it opened to I cancelled appointment. A month later it happened again and wouldnt open manually. Long story short the dealer is claiming it has water on the latch (even though they cannot get it open) to anyone having this issue please let me know if at any point you noticed water leaking into your trunk. They will not admit that there is a leak and they will not fix my trunk they are claiming I must have been in a flood.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
End of story..

Took it in, they confirmed it was a faulty control module on the latch, and since there are none in that parts system, they got it from the Bowling Green assembly plant Took about a week to get the part. Took the car in, got the engine oil and trans filter done while it was there. New part in.. Trunk works just fine. Total Cost? $0.00 Nice...

Funny I found the old faulty part in the trunk. I'd have thought that they'd have to return that to GM... Maybe the tech just forgot it... When I looked up the part number is was about $19 if I had to buy it.

·
Administrator
16,940 Posts
Nice end of the story! :giggle:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts