Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Team,

I have two quick, very basic questions about the rear vision camera.

(1) I recently rented a Cadillac SRX and when backing up the screen would go red and an alert would sound when you were getting close to an object (i.e. the curb). Is this the same for the C7's camera system or do you just get the red line as the visual representation of the back of the car?
(2) While I was backing up slowly the screen actually dimmed (kind of like going into standby mode) and I was unable to figure out how to get the screen to return to full brightness. Is there a way to make sure this doesn't happen under settings? Not sure why anyone would want their screen to go dim while they're backing up!

·
1,400 Posts
Hey Team,

I have two quick, very basic questions about the rear vision camera.

(1) I recently rented a Cadillac SRX and when backing up the screen would go red and an alert would sound when you were getting close to an object (i.e. the curb). Is this the same for the C7's camera system or do you just get the red line as the visual representation of the back of the car?
(2) While I was backing up slowly the screen actually dimmed (kind of like going into standby mode) and I was unable to figure out how to get the screen to return to full brightness. Is there a way to make sure this doesn't happen under settings? Not sure why anyone would want their screen to go dim while they're backing up!
There are no alerts when backing because there are no proximity sensors in the bumper. I have never experienced or heard of dimming while using the camera.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
The only issue I have of the contrast of my screen is when I back into my garage. It's so dark inside, that it take a second or two to auto correct the exposure.

·
Administrator
16,497 Posts
JoshuaKM1 the Stingray does not have the same rear sensors that the Caddy has (they are extremely helpful on my XTS especially when backing out of nose in parking with cars on both sides of you). Is it possible that you put your Stingray into reverse, then back to drive and then back to reverse (like backing into a slot and then going forward to adjust)? Possibly under those circumstances you exceeded the systems matching the gear you were in. Otherwise, I would encourage you to take it back to your dealer to have them check it out.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the feedback - I think I'll just see if it happens again. I am definitely glad that I didn't wait to hear a beep (or see a red flash on the screen like the Cadillac SRX displays) when I was getting near the curb - otherwise my C7 would be getting a new rear bumper right now. :)

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Thanks everyone for the feedback - I think I'll just see if it happens again. I am definitely glad that I didn't wait to hear a beep (or see a red flash on the screen like the Cadillac SRX displays) when I was getting near the curb - otherwise my C7 would be getting a new rear bumper right now. :)
Just traded our SRX for a XTS Vsport. Agree the SRX proximity sensors/displays are great.

The XTS has a twin tubocharged 3.6 410HP AWD. Its proximity info is amazing; lane deviation, adaptive cruise control, blind spot reporting and on and on..its got two HD video cameras under the car for the lane departure feature. It works great. Change lanes without signaling and the seat vibrates. It will even apply the brakes in some situations (like your near rear bumper incident).

Have to remember I don't have most of those things when driving the C7.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Yeah, I think the rear vision camera is very basic and as the option improves with age I am sure that it will become better. It needs sensors and warning sounds for sure, just like my CTS... For some reason I can not back the vette up straight even with the tilting passenger mirrior (park assist). Geees... I think I am losing it. I park between lines at about 10 to 15 Degree angles sometimes, thinking I am right on the money and then have a great laugh when I get out of the car and see my angled parking job in a non angled parking stall.

STUNG:(

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
For some reason I can not back the vette up straight even with the tilting passenger mirrior (park assist). Geees... I think I am losing it. I park between lines at about 10 to 15 Degree angles sometimes, thinking I am right on the money and then have a great laugh when I get out of the car and see my angled parking job in a non angled parking stall.
STUNG:(
This is me exactly, I thought that I was losing it too! Now I feel better about it. I look at the camera, the mirrors and just the view out the front for perspective and I am always crooked by about 10 - 15 degrees toward the left for some reason. Glad to hear it's not just me!

·
Registered
305 Posts
This is me exactly, I thought that I was losing it too! Now I feel better about it. I look at the camera, the mirrors and just the view out the front for perspective and I am always crooked by about 10 - 15 degrees toward the left for some reason. Glad to hear it's not just me!
I was like this at first and I found the camera was making me think I was straight with it's guide lines, but I'd get out and look and be off kilter. Now I'm pretty much bang on, and the key I've found is to make sure the last 6 feet of movement is straight and only rely on the camera for watching the proximity to the wall/curb/etc.

@JoshuaKM1 on your second question, I've experienced something similar and have found that the screen dims/brightens when the light levels hitting the camera change. Example backing into a spot and rear end moves into a shadowed area from bright sunlight or into/out of the garage. Just check and see if the ambient surrounding light levels are different at all ( including reflecting off surfaces ). I've also experienced my head lights going from DRL to on and then back to DRL when entering the garage, always happened when I approached my parking limiter a 1x3 on ground for front wheels ( only way wife feels comfortable parking in garage ) wife thought the car MUST have a proximity sensor in the front, took a while to convince her it didn't.

·
Registered
170 Posts
On this road trip I backed into a few parking spaces....and until I got a feel for where the car was vs. where the camera said it was I did have to get back in and finish backing up a couple of times.
The camera's 'red zone' is pretty spot on now that I've had a chance to use it and trust it. I've only had one vehicle with proximity sensors - and while handy, I never depend on them.
If I can't see back there, I don't try to back in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts