Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 (auto trans, Mag suspension, 10,000 miles, bought used in January 20) coupe has a braking problem: If I pull into my garage with a concrete floor and lock the brakes, the rear wheels will continue to turn and even dig into my gravel driveway. If I release the brake pedal, the rear wheels will push the car forward, a potentially dangerous situation. I talked by phone to the corvette mechanic at the dealership where I bought the car and he had never heard of this problem. Due to Covid concerns, I'm not ready to take the car to the dealer. Car stops well at speed but then again, the front wheels do most of that braking. Anyone had this problem?

·
Administrator
15,693 Posts
Welcome to our forum Skip K. Not sure I fully understand- are you saying that your rear brakes do not engage at all when you come to a stop, AND that with your foot fully off the gas, the rear wheels still turn as if you were feeding it gas?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 2016 (auto trans, Mag suspension, 10,000 miles, bought used in January 20) coupe has a braking problem: If I pull into my garage with a concrete floor and lock the brakes, the rear wheels will continue to turn and even dig into my gravel driveway. If I release the brake pedal, the rear wheels will push the car forward, a potentially dangerous situation. I talked by phone to the corvette mechanic at the dealership where I bought the car and he had never heard of this problem. Due to Covid concerns, I'm not ready to take the car to the dealer. Car stops well at speed but then again, the front wheels do most of that braking. Anyone had this problem?
Welcome to our forum Skip K. Not sure I fully understand- are you saying that your rear brakes do not engage at all when you come to a stop, AND that with your foot fully off the gas, the rear wheels still turn as if you were feeding it gas?
Yep, that's right, Jeff, they were turning slowly. My foot was off the gas pedal and on the brake. I checked fuses 3 and 7 (ABS) and they were intact. I still have things to check out: the Corvette mechanic asked me if any warning lights had illuminated on the dash (I was distracted listening to the rear tires digging holes in my driveway to look carefully, but I will repeat this as a test). I also didn't check if the car had a high idle speed, but a little research suggested that idle was controlled by the car's computer. Thank you for your interest!

·
Administrator
15,693 Posts
Hope you get it figured out & resolved quickly. I have not heard of this before.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, that's right, Jeff, they were turning slowly. My foot was off the gas pedal and on the brake. I checked fuses 3 and 7 (ABS) and they were intact. I still have things to check out: the Corvette mechanic asked me if any warning lights had illuminated on the dash (I was distracted listening to the rear tires digging holes in my driveway to look carefully, but I will repeat this as a test). I also didn't check if the car had a high idle speed, but a little research suggested that idle was controlled by the car's computer. Thank you for your interest!

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
How hard were you pushing the brake pedal while the rear wheels were turning?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
(that's why the rear wheels were digging a hole in my gravel driveway-the car was standing still)

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Front wheels were locked.
But that doesn't really answer the question of how hard the brake pedal was being pushed.

For example, if the car is on a slight incline, the rear wheels are on a low traction surface, and you ever so slightly touch the brake, I wouldn't be surprised if the car didn't move but the rear wheels turned. On the other hand, if you had the brake pushed down firmly and the rear wheels were still turning, then there is a problem.

Reactions: jsvette

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Because of your interest, I just took the car for a brief test ride. It idles fine @ 650rpm. The street around my house is dirt/gravel. I found some gravely patches and locked the brakes hard, then pushed the gas. The rear tires started spinning at about 1200rpm, pushing the locked front tires forward in the gravel. On a downhill test, the rears again spun and the car seemed to be going on its own so I put it in neutral and the car stopped abruptly. During this, the "service Stabiltrack" light flashed for a moment, but the car may have been slightly fishtailing. After the ride, I touched the rotors and all were warm but as you might expect, the fronts were warmer.

·
Administrator
15,693 Posts
It sounds like your car is fine. You can certainly override the brakes as you did,but giving it gas.

Reactions: autoxal

·
Registered
391 Posts
(that's why the rear wheels were digging a hole in my gravel driveway-the car was standing still)
But if you press harder on the brake, do they stop? I've had this happen frequently, but not in a Corvette, on snow covered roads (more pedal pressure would stop it).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After testing/thinking about this problem, it seems the rear brakes are locking slightly later than the fronts, especially when the engine is not at a complete idle (650rpm). I'll check out autoxal's remedy of pressing harder. Thanks, all, for your input.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I talked to the long-time service manager at my local Chev dealer this am. He said the (posi) plates in the rear end are so strong and the engine is so powerful that this can happen. So I guess I'd better learn to be a more aware driver in the future... Thanks for your comments and advice!

·
Administrator
15,693 Posts
I talked to the long-time service manager at my local Chev dealer this am. He said the (posi) plates in the rear end are so strong and the engine is so powerful that this can happen. So I guess I'd better learn to be a more aware driver in the future... Thanks for your comments and advice!
So, if I understand, the solution is to be sure to fully step on the brake pedal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have, as well as blacktop and concrete (from road speeds). Stops great. Also, it's not Z51 equipped.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts