Stingray Corvette Forum banner

Received my "new " tires

7K views 40 replies 20 participants last post by  Stoan 
#1 ·
Ordered and received my "new" tires from Discount tires. Michelin AS4 in oem z51 sizes . To my disappointment they are almost 2 years old by mfg date . Anyone else notice this and seems like a lot of time taken off the clock if you believe in the tires get old and must be replaced after 5 or 6 years.
Now i don't rush right out after 5 or 6 years myself but was hoping for a bit closer mfg date . Dealer said they get what they get and nothing they can do about it. For my use not likely i will wear them out before they are swapped out due to time as my Corvette is not my daily driver but wondering if anyone else sees this as an issue.
Also surprised to hear the dealer tell me that they don't work on tires over about 6 years old which means I'm giving up 20% of the tire life on purchase. Seemed odd to me.

Reactions: Racer_X
#5 ·
I didn't push him on what he meant regarding "work " on tires as I was still digesting the 22 month old date of mfg.

I did call Michelin customer service and the woman told me that shouldn't be an issue and they have a 60 day return policy on any new Michelin tire if your unhappy with them. 60 return wasn't return wasn't my concern as I'm thinking a few years down the road. Was tempted to send them back put in todays world it feels like you better take when you can get or you will do without or pay a lot more next month for them.

I've been waiting over 4 months for engine parts for another project I've been working on and everyone in the automotive business tells me the same thing , no parts , no cars, no materials and when it arrives it will be more expensive. .. It's a new day in America.

Reactions: stevec
#11 ·
Congratulations . You got lucky according to the manager of my local Discount Tire store. He says it's very unusual to see anything newer than about 90 to 120 days . My goal has always been 6 months old or newer . Anything over gets my attention..

#9 ·
Did that. He was friendly and agreeable but repeated they do everything by computer . No one answers phones anymore and they have no control on what they get . He offered to reach out to another supplier and bring in two more tires to see if the dates are any better than 22 months old and if not he can't do any better.
I did check with at least two other tire suppliers and one the Chevrolet dealer told me they couldn't get the front tires, "the computer told them they are not available". The other tire store was over $500. more for the same tire and had no idea what the mfg dates would be until they get there.
And I should add these were not small mom and pop wholesalers. Discount Tires/Americas Tire is one of the biggest. Along with my local Chevrolet dealer and a third larger supplier in my part of the country.

It's a new world and nothing is the same as it was just 2 years ago.. and getting worse by the day. I sorta foresaw this coming and that is why i am replacing my original tires with only 16K miles on them and no issues early. I suspect next year it will, be worse and more expensive so figured I'd start the process early...

Reactions: Henry427
#7 ·
Oh and in checking the date codes the rears were reasonable at 6 months old but the fronts were 22 months old..

#8 ·
Getting off the post here but neighbor wanted to trade his 2020 Toyota truck in for a 2022 model. Dealer offered him a great trade value today on his 2020 model , almost what he paid for it but said it will be April or May before he sees a 2022, In dealer speak April or May really means next summer , maybe......

Some of the biggest names in aftermarket hot rod stuff are waiting many months for raw materials as well as parts really hurting the industry . Repair shop near me has so many cars waiting on parts you can't get into their parking lot any longer.

#10 · (Edited)
What a coincidence. I had the same tires installed yesterday at Discount Tire. I assume the mfg. date is on the sidewall but I can't seem to find it. I had to replace my Michelin AS 3+'s because two of them developed these splits (20k miles).
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood

• Angry
Reactions: Ateupjoe
#15 ·
Yikes, Paul, that really looks bad. I think I better take a close look at my AS/3+ZPs I got them in April of 2020 but I have not driven very much on them, maybe 2,000 miles at most. Just walking around the car I haven't noticed anything obvious but I will check more closely now. Any idea what caused the splits? --Bob

#12 ·
I appreciate the headsup on this, as i will be replacing mine soon as well. Unfortunately like you said this is the "new world".... I will definately tell the installer i won't accept anything older than 6 mos old. If that means i wait its fine.

#13 ·
Supply chains seems to likely continues to worsen before it gets better. I personally over 40 years have never used code dates as my parameter on when I changed my tires and have been without incident for going pass the code date.

I have always relied on wear and tear and visual conditions of the tires to determine if it was time to change the tires but I also understand some people are by the letter which is ok as well.

I tend to stretch the envelop because when my Tylenol of Advil bottles expire, my throw them in the garbage and I remove them and tell her if I take them and they clear my headaches or pains then they are still good but that's just me. Many of the expiration dates on products are to protect against any types of liability for a manufacturer and not necessarily that they aren't any good after that date. Do anything deteriorate effectiveness over time, yes but its not like it's immediately after an expiration date.

To the main point, I don't want to receive a product like new tires that have a code date from 2 years prior just out of principle and if not available then I would propone purchase.

#16 ·
AS a follow up my local Discount Tire has ordered me two new fronts from a different warehouse in hopes they will be newer than 22 months. First two came from Colorado and the replacements coming from Texas..

#18 ·
When I purchased from Discount, I asked to see the tires before they installed them. The tires were dated about 4 months before the install date, so I went with them. For the price and for the car, I would not to gamble that the Discount tire people would be looking out for my best interests. I started doing that for my other cars as well and they don't seem to mind me asking.

#19 ·
I’d get with discount on these tires being 2 years old recently bought and tell them to order you another set preferably newer.
If they decline contact corporate.
I work with discount (not for) they even make big deals on tires being 4-5 years old.
Even if you’ve already installed them, complain and return them.

#20 ·
I’ve been dealing with Discount Tires for over 20 years and have bought numerous tires for all the Corvettes I’ve owned and, my family as well.
I also tell them I don’t want any tires with a date code over a year. I get pushback from them saying they can’t guarantee what date code they’ll get. I tell them to go ahead and order the tires and if they come in with a date code well over a year to send them back and I’ll go elsewhere. Like I said in the beginning, I’ve been dealing with Discount Tires for over 20 years and they never had to send any back. I’m sure the manager can tell the warehouse not sent anything over a year.
chris

#23 ·
I’ve been dealing with Discount Tires for over 20 years and have bought numerous tires for all the Corvettes I’ve owned and, my family as well.
I also tell them I don’t want any tires with a date code over a year. I get pushback from them saying they can’t guarantee what date code they’ll get. I tell them to go ahead and order the tires and if they come in with a date code well over a year to send them back and I’ll go elsewhere. Like I said in the beginning, I’ve been dealing with Discount Tires for over 20 years and they never had to send any back. I’m sure the manager can tell the warehouse not sent anything over a year.
chris
Appreciate your experience and I as well have been using Discount/Americas Tire for decades. And I have never been provided a tire at 22 months from date of mfg. While I am not convinced for my use it matters safety wise I do have a problem with any company selling me a "new" tire that is 22 months old while telling me it has a "expiration" date either from the mfg or the installer. Matter of principal I guess.

And also agree you used to be able to expect the seller to reach out to the supplier and say send something within 6 or 8 months however that was the good old days. Today they insist they can't expect to speak with anyone . Companies are working through the computer with minimal staffing . In this case the manager is ordering a second set of tires from another State in hopes they will be newer . But with no guarantees as they could be older. In many cases there are no tires to be had for whatever reason. We are navigating new and very different times today and it appears it is getting worse by the week..

#21 ·
I thought I'd check my tires on my 2016 C7 Z51 coupe, which was built on September 12, 2015, delivered to the NCM on September 16, 2015, and I picked up at the NCM on October 5, 2015. It still has the original tires - the fronts have 3415 (August 17-23, 2015) on them and the rears have 3215 (August 3-9, 2015). So, at least in my case, it seems the factory gets freshly made tires.

#22 ·
Ordered and received my "new" tires from Discount tires. Michelin AS4 in oem z51 sizes . To my disappointment they are almost 2 years old by mfg date . Anyone else notice this and seems like a lot of time taken off the clock if you believe in the tires get old and must be replaced after 5 or 6 years.
Now i don't rush right out after 5 or 6 years myself but was hoping for a bit closer mfg date . Dealer said they get what they get and nothing they can do about it. For my use not likely i will wear them out before they are swapped out due to time as my Corvette is not my daily driver but wondering if anyone else sees this as an issue.
Also surprised to hear the dealer tell me that they don't work on tires over about 6 years old which means I'm giving up 20% of the tire life on purchase. Seemed odd to me.

This tire has never been easily acquired due to low demand, and therefore, rarely manufactured. Just the fact that a two year old pair was not sold at all until now reveals the issue. When I got mine years ago, even then they had to scrounge around to find a full set for my Z51. Call it 'low supply and low demand'. Lol.

#26 ·
I have a 2015 Z-51. I went to Costco in May to order new Michelin AS4 tires. At that time they said they didn't have them. The tech called his distributor and was told around July. I called Michelin and was told that they were going to start production of the rear tires in late June, should be available in late July. I checked Tire Rack and Discount tires, they had the front tires (like you new/old tires) but didn't have the rears. So it looks like demanding fresh front tire should be made when ordering.
As a side story. about 10 years ago I dropped off my diesel pusher for new tires, they had plenty of tread but 8 years old, When I went to pick up my coach, i checked the DOT date, and they were 2 years old. I told the tire dealer I wouldn't accept that, get me tires that are 6 months old or newer or put my old ones back on and i would shop somewhere else. Next day i got a call that my coach was ready with fresh 2 month old tires.

#25 ·
So to wrap this up the 2nd set of front A/S 4Pilot Sport Michelin tires for the front of my Z51 came in. These two came from a different supplier in Texas. First set came from Colorado with a mfg date 22 months ago. The second set have a mfg date 3 weeks later also in 2020.
So if I want those specific tires those are my choices . As another post mentioned the manager at Discount Tires believes there has not been a lot of them sold so they are older than most tires.
I will have them installed next week.. Oh and no further discount available according to the manager. The cost for the 4 tires including "life of tire" maintenance came out to $1415.00
Still believe for Michelin to put a 6 year date on life of the tire and then sit on a shelf for almost 2 years is an issue for the end user.
Thanks to all that shared their expertise and or opinions..

#27 ·
Just have a base Corvette ( 18" Front & 19" Rear) I see no need for Michelin Run Flats as the are way over priced. If I have a tire problem I call AAA. Don't track the Corvette put a set of Kumho Esta PA51 on it with 2 year road hazard included for a grand total of $796.21 Mounted, Balanced, Nitrogen out the door. The handle an ride very nice.

#30 ·
I'm going to need new tires next spring. I'll prep my local Discount Tire Manager to be on the look out for "New" tires for me. I'm not accepting old new tires unless they want to knock off $100 bucks a tire. If they have old stock, they need to run a sale and discount the old ones to get them cleared out. That's what most companies do with old inventory.

Reactions: Racer_X
#33 · (Edited)
One final observation regarding run flats vs. non. I have an extra set of wheels and tires which I ran while waiting for the new ones to arrive. The tires are Continental Extreme all season non run flats. I could not feel any difference between the Michelin run flats and the Continentals. For peace of mind, I'll stick with the Michelins.

#34 ·
Just purchased a full set of Continental Extreme Contact Sport, 19'' & 20'' at Discount Tire. All four were made on 13th week of 2021. These replaced the Michelin run flats that came on my 2015. Finall got a chance to do a mini road trip Sunday to test them out. Much quieter, much smoother ride. Doesn't feel like I'm driving on 4 flat tires. I'll never go back to run flats.

#35 ·
I'm sure your Continentals are an improvement over your 6 year old OEM tires. However, those Michelins were summer only tires, which were noisy and had a harsh ride; characteristics which only got worse with age. The new Michelin All Season tires are a huge improvement over OEM.

My comparison was based on driving on both sets of tires (within an hour) on the same roads.

#38 ·
Like we always say on SRF: "To each their own." 🤗

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.