Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be moving cross country this winter and will be towing my C7 on a U-Haul vehicle trailer. What car cover do you recommend for this purpose?

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,547 Posts
Certainly not a lightweight or inexpensive one, it will take a beating. May I suggest you go to a car cover vendor on line and ask them what cover they would recommend for such a trip. Hope you find one.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Can't really recommend any particular brand however if your towing it in an open trailer you will get wind buffering that car cover against the surface of your vehicle so I recommend a good fresh wax coating to attempt to off set any fine scratches that will be caused. Don't know how particular you are about your car so it may not be of any concern.
I recently shipped mine in an enclosed trailer car carrier. It was on the road for only 3 days but I was surprised the amount of dirt and a film on the entire car from the diesel fumes from the tractor pulling the trailer I assume. And this was a professional auto transport company used by Corvette museum etc.

Good luck

Reactions: jsvette

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would not recommend you use a car cover at all. You will end up with scratches from buffeting no matter what you use. I would recommend you use a track wrap type temporary ppf on the front of the car and any areas susceptible to stone chips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
Here's a thought, just like the boat dealers and marinas winterize the boat with shrink wrap, and like the new Vettes are shipped from BG, get it shrink wrapped.

·
Administrator
16,282 Posts
Here's a thought, just like the boat dealers and marinas winterize the boat with shrink wrap, and like the new Vettes are shipped from BG, get it shrink wrapped.
Interesting idea Norm. However, unlike a boat, the Vette has to be driven up onto the trailer, so either the shrink wrap would need to be applied on the trailer, or a custom cover like those GM uses with Velcro fastened doors on the cover, permitting driving the Vette after it is covered. I think ctpj (post 4) has the safest suggestion combined with 15snow-ray (post 3) idea of a good waxing.

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
If there is a business locally that can shrink wrap, I'd trailer it there, have it wrapped and buttoned up tight, then removed upon destination.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
There is a wrap type material available on the open market similar to what mfg are wrapping new car cars in for transport. Not going to stop a direct hit by rocks and stones but will offer some protection from the light stuff. It's not for looks put you put it on and remove it your destination and throw it away. Bring extra in case it starts to peel back in spots.
Goes on much like window tint film but obviously a thicker material.

Reactions: jsvette

·
Registered
439 Posts
Wash her wax her & put her if its in a trailer just lock it up in the trailer & go - save the money for gas.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree don't put a cover on it! As my wife would say, "It's just a car.." Should be just fine riding outside, no worse than driving it...

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
This is what I was referring to about shrink wrapping, no flapping in the wind, stays dry, no scratches.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you can shrink wrap at the dealer while on the trailer no prob. If not just use a box cutter and cut the door opening and cut a square out of the winsheild just enough to see thru. Load it on the trailer and the just duct the windsheilds patch and door cracks. Thats what I did. Not a scratch on the car. If you have a bra put that on first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would not recommend you use a car cover at all. You will end up with scratches from buffeting no matter what you use. I would recommend you use a track wrap type temporary ppf on the front of the car and any areas susceptible to stone chips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Best advice here.

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
The way I see it, if you have to tow cross country this time of year, especially in the northern climes, mostly like one would travel the interstates or major routes. If a closed trailer is not an option, towing a classic or prized vehicle of a garage queen pedigree, I would want as much protection as possible vs. none at all.

Get caught behind a semi in bad weather, snow, ice, even heavy rain, and of course the towing vehicle spray, it will take it's toll from the cinders, salt and brine.

Of course not talking about a hooptee or just something to run around in, but your pride and joy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can't really recommend any particular brand however if your towing it in an open trailer you will get wind buffering that car cover against the surface of your vehicle so I recommend a good fresh wax coating to attempt to off set any fine scratches that will be caused. Don't know how particular you are about your car so it may not be of any concern.
I recently shipped mine in an enclosed trailer car carrier. It was on the road for only 3 days but I was surprised the amount of dirt and a film on the entire car from the diesel fumes from the tractor pulling the trailer I assume. And this was a professional auto transport company used by Corvette museum etc.

Good luck
Totally agree. I have seen the damage a car cover can do to a good paint job when towed in an open trailer. I would recommend an enclosed trailer or at least a trailer with a front metal wind and debris protection. Just the dirt and possible rocks off your tires both front and back can end up hitting your car. It can do a lot of damage as it did to mine when towing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Another option is paying someone with an enclosed trailer, depending on the distance the cost it may offset the damage that's possible. I know guys that tow for hire and charge $2 a mile.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts