Stingray Corvette Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

Vendor
I live in central Florida and it gets real hot amount here. Today it was 95,97. Just wondering if any others who live in these hot places ,use or know of products that work best in protecting the finish on the cars. There are so many on the market that it can be confusing. :cool:
Adams's Polishes makes Patriot wax...great in all climates.

Registered
..and once again many solutions and many opinions..it has been a long run of 95+ here ..going on about 15 days and all Vettes are shiny here! The new "in" thing is a clay-bar-like MITT which the pro's use..like a big wash rag but is basically a giant clay bar..about $40 I am told and is re-usable many times, but you won't need it if you keep your car clean. About every 3 days I foam mine and blow it dry then microfiber it off to finish...works great (on top of CQuartz of course)..what's with this weather????

Registered
..and once again many solutions and many opinions..it has been a long run of 95+ here ..going on about 15 days and all Vettes are shiny here! The new "in" thing is a clay-bar-like MITT which the pro's use..like a big wash rag but is basically a giant clay bar..about $40 I am told and is re-usable many times, but you won't need it if you keep your car clean. About every 3 days I foam mine and blow it dry then microfiber it off to finish...works great (on top of CQuartz of course)..what's with this weather????
This is called a nanoskin mitt and is indeed for detailers doing many cars. A weekend detailer can get the same with the "nanoskin fine sponge" for 12 bucks for the detailing sites. Clay is indeed a dead procedure.

Doc here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/acxkaf44ctxbsgb/AACIMr-qZl7vdwVcVlC5djtQa?dl=0

Registered
Clay is indeed a dead procedure.
I disagree. The Nanoskin-type mitts, towels, sponges, and pads are great for a lot of things, but there are some situations where they simply aren't ideal. Clay is more conformable to odd curves and areas on a car where other alternatives can't effectively reach, and the more mild nature of clay means that it is possible to have very little (if any) marring left behind on cars without a lot of contaminants to dislodge. With Nanoskin, it's almost universal that you'll have to polish the car after use, which is fine for those of us who do so regularly or are just prepping for paint correction, but for others that can be a detrimental side effect.

Each tool serves its purpose, and can/should be an important part of any arsenal. Just my $0.02

Registered
Sorry I disagree, I have used both and a fine nanoskin has worked in every situation and induced no marring. It's all about the procedure...l

Let's put it this way: for a new vette, clay is dead to me....

Registered
Sorry I disagree, I have used both and a fine nanoskin has worked in every situation and induced no marring. It's all about the procedure...l

Let's put it this way: for a new vette, clay is dead to me....
I'm glad you have found something that works well for you.

From my perspective as a working professional, it would be a bit irresponsible to speak in absolutes about any one procedure or product working in every situation, given the number of outside variables that can still affect outcome (in this case, the hardness of the paint on a given car -- and I have observed variance on C7s in that regard -- as well as climate, types of contaminants, lubricant used, etc.).

Even if you think you've seen it all, there will always be those cases where it's useful to be open to other tools and techniques in one's arsenal, and to be aware of the potential trade-offs with each choice. I know how tempting it is to constantly jump to the latest and greatest, especially when there are demonstrable advantages in a great many ways, but sometimes they simply aren't the best choice for a given task.

Registered
Funny, was thinking about waxing the other day as the temps started to drop here in New England.

I have too many toys to keep clean and waxed, and don't have the ambition to make waxing a full time thing, so the last few years I've been using a product that I'm sure Glen is aware of having been involved with boats for so many years.

The product is Collinite Fleetwax that I was put onto by a fellow boat owner.
I use the one wax on my sailboat, plane and cars. Can't remember when I used it on the C7, but sure it was at least 5000 miles ago, a month or two before I drove it to Florida. Car looks as good as the day I put it on.

I buy it online from Defender Marine. It's available in either paste or liquid. Collinite has some other interesting products too.

I believe a shiny car is only as good as the base under the wax.

But, I may be wrong!!

Jack

Registered
Yes, I know a good product to protect your car from the hot sun. It's called a garage or carport and it does wonders protecting your paint from the burning sun. It even helps to preserve your dashboard(just kidding of course.... or perhaps not.... ) I just sold a 1996 corvette (I have a 2015 as well) and the paint and interior were in immaculate shape... I did replace the seat upholstery, but I think that had more to do with a big butt than the sun...

I live in central Florida and it gets real hot amount here. Today it was 95,97. Just wondering if any others who live in these hot places ,use or know of products that work best in protecting the finish on the cars. There are so many on the market that it can be confusing. :cool:

Registered
I have been using Pinnacle Natural Brilliance for some time now. It spreads like warm butter and you wipe it off immediately. No residue, or buffing. says you a lot of time. Very deep wet look.

Administrator
CQuartz Finest has held up incredibly well on RedHot in the desert aka Las Vegas for 2 years now:

Flag reflections.jpg

Registered
I live in Louisiana-similar weather. I have had spectacular results with Zaino-takes all day but worth it. Can't wait to get it on my new Vette!

Registered
I've used Zaino on my Vipers, Camaro ZL575, 350Z, my Charger SRT8 Superbee, and now on my C7. IMO, it is the best product out there. As mentioned previously, it takes some time but the results are very well worth it.

Registered
Take all day? no thanks, you just dont have to do that anymore, if you like zaino, use their z-cs wipe on walk away.The gloss in the polish, not the last step product (LSP)

Registered
I live in Louisiana-similar weather. I have had spectacular results with Zaino-takes all day but worth it. Can't wait to get it on my new Vette!
All day ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

:nightmare:

Mebbe once every 1-2 years

Otherwise, wash n' go !!!!!!!!!!!

It doesn't even take me 2 hours to get ready for a fully judged show......

This is after a 20 min wash

Registered
I only use Garage One products (Speed Wax, Leather Conditioner, Tire Gel, etc. ) made right here in Tampa, Fl.
I have A LRG M7 NPP coupe and win Best - In - Class alot.
The Speed Wax can be applied to a hot (clean of course) car in direct sunlight. It doesn't leave a white chalk around seams.
I can wax the car in about 40 minutes.

Registered
I only use Garage One products (Speed Wax, Leather Conditioner, Tire Gel, etc. ) made right here in Tampa, Fl.
I have A LRG M7 NPP coupe and win Best - In - Class alot.
The Speed Wax can be applied to a hot (clean of course) car in direct sunlight. It doesn't leave a white chalk around seams.
I can wax the car in about 40 minutes.
you got a green vette?

Registered
Yes. Lime Rock Green was only available in 2014 then discontinued. Only 4% were produced in this color (probably ) making it the rarest color car. Very heavy metallic making it sparkle in the sun. Big hit at car shows.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts
About this Discussion
52 Replies
27 Participants
hessguy1
Stingray Corvette Forum
We鈥檙e a forum community dedicated to the 7th Gen Corvette Stingray. Come join the discussion on performance modifications, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing