Stingray Corvette Forum banner

Recommending a wax or polish to use in hot climates

13K views 52 replies 27 participants last post by  hessguy1 
#1 ·
I live in central Florida and it gets real hot amount here. Today it was 95,97. Just wondering if any others who live in these hot places ,use or know of products that work best in protecting the finish on the cars. There are so many on the market that it can be confusing. :cool:

#3 · (Edited)
All sealants and coatings work in all temperatures.

carnubas and waxes fade quicker in hot temps but are better for "pop" and shows.

And polishes have nothing to do with temp, they are a prep item.

I'll let others put up specific brands......I preach more procedure and product type. A good procedure using blackfire, but could be Adams, Zaino or any other hi class mfr of detailing products:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/acxkaf44ctxbsgb/AACIMr-qZl7vdwVcVlC5djtQa?dl=0

#4 ·
Check out CQuartz Finest (a number of threads on it here). I live in Vegas (110 degrees today) and RedHot looks as spectacular as the day she was built in October 2013.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have been using Liquid Glass for 35 years. Incredible stuff. It is ideal for hot sunny climate like we have here in FL. . LG hardens much more quickly in high temperatures. The hotter it gets, the harder LG becomes. The harder it gets, the shinier it gets and provides better protection. Other car polishes and waxes break down in the heat. This is a major difference that makes LG Polish so much better than other products. If you are interested in more information from my experience let me know and I will PM you.

#8 ·
Glen E, when should clay bars be used? Is it for older paint for when cars have been sitting in the elements? Just curious, thank you.

#9 ·
Clean a section of finish, then wrap your hand in a single layer of plastic wrap and run it over the surface. If it feels smooth, no clay bar type product is needed. If you feel bumps, guess what?

Clay bars are supposedly "old school" now and people recommend "nano skin" products.

#18 ·
You should use Poorboys products they work extremely well in sun and shade. :cool:

Poorboysworld.com

CLEARCOATS, LACQUER, ENAMEL, IMRON, PEARL, FIBERGLASS,
and GEL COATS
Our products are EASY ON/EASY OFF, SUN or SHADE, and have the right amount of cleaners and protectants to leave an easy-to-maintain vehicle. Even though today's clearcoats are great protectors of the paint beneath them, most people do not have the time or experience to properly maintain them. To keep that "NEW LOOK" you must polish the vehicle's surface to regain a silky-smooth finish. This process will remove contaminates, surface dirt, some fine surface scratches, bird droppings, and water stains (acid rain).

:cool:

Reactions: ronkh
#24 ·
..and once again many solutions and many opinions..it has been a long run of 95+ here ..going on about 15 days and all Vettes are shiny here! The new "in" thing is a clay-bar-like MITT which the pro's use..like a big wash rag but is basically a giant clay bar..about $40 I am told and is re-usable many times, but you won't need it if you keep your car clean. About every 3 days I foam mine and blow it dry then microfiber it off to finish...works great (on top of CQuartz of course)..what's with this weather????

#28 ·
I'm glad you have found something that works well for you.

From my perspective as a working professional, it would be a bit irresponsible to speak in absolutes about any one procedure or product working in every situation, given the number of outside variables that can still affect outcome (in this case, the hardness of the paint on a given car -- and I have observed variance on C7s in that regard -- as well as climate, types of contaminants, lubricant used, etc.).

Even if you think you've seen it all, there will always be those cases where it's useful to be open to other tools and techniques in one's arsenal, and to be aware of the potential trade-offs with each choice. I know how tempting it is to constantly jump to the latest and greatest, especially when there are demonstrable advantages in a great many ways, but sometimes they simply aren't the best choice for a given task.

#30 ·
Funny, was thinking about waxing the other day as the temps started to drop here in New England.

I have too many toys to keep clean and waxed, and don't have the ambition to make waxing a full time thing, so the last few years I've been using a product that I'm sure Glen is aware of having been involved with boats for so many years.

The product is Collinite Fleetwax that I was put onto by a fellow boat owner.
I use the one wax on my sailboat, plane and cars. Can't remember when I used it on the C7, but sure it was at least 5000 miles ago, a month or two before I drove it to Florida. Car looks as good as the day I put it on.

I buy it online from Defender Marine. It's available in either paste or liquid. Collinite has some other interesting products too.

I believe a shiny car is only as good as the base under the wax.

But, I may be wrong!!

Jack

#31 ·
Yes, I know a good product to protect your car from the hot sun. It's called a garage or carport and it does wonders protecting your paint from the burning sun. It even helps to preserve your dashboard(just kidding of course.... or perhaps not.... ) I just sold a 1996 corvette (I have a 2015 as well) and the paint and interior were in immaculate shape... I did replace the seat upholstery, but I think that had more to do with a big butt than the sun...

#33 · (Edited)
CQuartz Finest has held up incredibly well on RedHot in the desert aka Las Vegas for 2 years now:

Red Flag Material property Textile Magenta

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.