Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to see this in person a couple of days ago. It is spectacular in the sun. Thank you to Mike Furman for letting me know he had one coming off the truck. This one was purchased by the owner of Criswell for his personal use.

Note that the orange glow on the tail of this car is an artifact of the cell phone. Those spots overloaded the sensor. I didn't see that orange with the naked eye.

This is a very complex paint finish, showing lots of color variation with lighting:

Flop (AKA "travel"), noun: the change in the value, hue or chroma of a vehicle finish when it is viewed from different angles. when you move 45 or 60 degrees to the left or right, the color changes. Usually one or both of the side views is lighter or darker (value change), but any one of the three dimensions of color (hue, chroma, value) may change due to flop. ( https://www.axalta.com/content/dam/N...lor-Theory.pdf )

"Flop", or "flip-flop", refers to the difference between the amount or hue of light reflected at different angles from a metallic paint surface. The differences are caused by the size and reflectivity of the flakes in the paint, and also by their orientation and the degree to which they are all oriented in the same direction. ( Metallic paint - Wikipedia )

When Tadge revealed the new C8 colors for 2021 he described the new silver as having a lot of "travel." Maybe it does, but Red Mist has more travel, or flop, than any factory paint color I've seen. On my color calibrated desktop monitor, these images pretty accurately reflect what I saw with the naked eye, with the exception of the few that show some orange glow on the really bright spots. This is an artifact of overloading the sensor in my cell phone. And they show why this color looks so much different in some photos than in others. The degree of color change, not just between sun and shadow, but at different angles of sunlight, is huge. At some angles the metallic flake is extremely noticeable. At other angles, not as much. And in the shade, not at all.

If you're familiar with DSOM, this makes me think of a red version of that color in terms of travel / flop and metallic effect, but even more so. Enjoy. Speaking of orange, I saw no orange in this paint at all. If it looks orange on your computer, it's your monitor. My desktop shows the color as it looked to me - my chromebook makes it look kind of orange.

On the sunny side of life, it is bright red, but look at how different the color is on the hood, decklid, and the sides of the scoop:

You can get a feel for the metallic effect here, especially on the nacelle, but it's more pronounced in person:

Compare the color of the hood from this angle with the second photo in this post. You'd think it was a different car. This also shows you how red it is compared to the Torch Red car in the background.

Notice how it takes on a hint of purple on the decklid, and the step between the bottom and top of the nacelles. That's real: I saw it with the naked eye, too. It's probably due to reflecting the blue sky, but it shows how complex this color can be. You can get a bit of the metallic effect on the upper portion of the driver's side nacelle here, too, and see the travel in the area around the tail light and rear wheel arch.

And now for the shady side of life. Some will ask "Are you sure this is the same car?" It is, but compare how this side looks to the TR car behind it. This side looks almost like Long Beach Red.

Finally, a close up of the Edge Red caliper compared to the Red Mist paint. Close, but not quite the same color. I think I'm going to stick to black.

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,555 Posts
Bob, that's you man, will see you coming a mile away.............:cool:

·
Administrator
16,302 Posts
Thanks for taking and sharing Bob (y) (y) (y)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Nice pictures and explanation of the nuances of the color--thanks. And I do like the body colored vents. That's the way I would order a C8, like my C7.--Bob

·
Registered
697 Posts
Nice, make it a HTC, with black roof and mirrors, and black wheels, and it looks like the one I’m getting this week....

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm a big fan of the convertible. Even though both are basically a targa (The convertible being an electric removal of the top, and different lines) But, I think I prefer the lines of the convertible.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Getting mine at 9AM today... This thing cost more than the first house my wife and I bought when we first got married 36 years ago.. 😯 It's ok to be slightly nervous isn't it? I mean, I've never driven it, or seen the color in person... I'm actually more nervous than when I got married,

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,555 Posts
Waiting for the photos with you in it.............(y)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Nice pictures and explanation of the nuances of the color--thanks. And I do like the body colored vents. That's the way I would order a C8, like my C7.--Bob
Hi warp ten. I like the body colored vents too that you mentioned, Chevy calls them "Body-color exterior accents" on their customization page, and they are listed at $995. I think many Corvette options are listed at quite high prices, I did pass up on this option on my new 2022 C8 order. I just wish Chevy was more reasonable with their prices.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Hi warp ten. I like the body colored vents too that you mentioned, Chevy calls them "Body-color exterior accents" on their customization page, and they are listed at $995. I think many Corvette options are listed at quite high prices, I did pass up on this option on my new 2022 C8 order. I just wish Chevy was more reasonable with their prices.
You are right. On the C7s they were called Body Colored Vents. Quite a few years ago, after buying and selling many cars, I decided that I would nowadays order exactly what I wanted so I only focused on the total price of the car. If it was Ok I ordered that specific car that I wanted. On the C7 I really wanted the body colored vents. Love the more subtle look. Could't find them on a used car that I liked so ordered my Z06. If you ever decide you really do want body colored exterior accents, I suspect the total cost to achieve that would be much more that the $995. But it's your car and I applaud you for doing what you want. I am sure it will be a beautiful car. --Bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts