Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed about 4 or 5 drips of red oil, always mixed with water, on the garage floor over the past 6 weeks. Not much as far as drips go, but I can't find a leak. I have 4900 miles. the drips have happened over the course of the past 6 weeks. Anyone experience red oil-like fluid from the front?

·
Registered
147 Posts
No issue with my Stingray after 2,000 miles. Based on the color of what is leaking it might be power steering fluid. The power steering unit is mounted just to the rear of the radiator so the location seems right. Let us know how the issue is resolved.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No issue with my Stingray after 2,000 miles. Based on the color of what is leaking it might be power steering fluid. The power steering unit is mounted just to the rear of the radiator so the location seems right. Let us know how the issue is resolved.
Thanks. But I think the steering is electric with the C7.

Michael

·
Registered
3,362 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Auto trans? If so sounds like the trans cooler line connection. Dealer visit time.
Yes, auto trans. I just received a set of Race Ramps yesterday. I think, if others haven't had this issue, I will put the car on the ramps and take a closer look.

Michael

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, it ain't good. Took Star to the dealer and they found the radiator cracked. It appears the fittings were over torqued at the assembly plant. The upside is we caught it before catastrophic failure of transmission or engine overheating.

Michael

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Well, it ain't good. Took Star to the dealer and they found the radiator cracked. It appears the fittings were over torqued at the assembly plant. The upside is we caught it before catastrophic failure of transmission or engine overheating.

Michael
Yes, it's good you caught it early.

It should also be a simple fix, and you'll be back on the road quickly.

Seems like there have been quite a few premature radiator failures - it would be good if we all proactively keep an eye out for this possibility on our own vehicles.

Reactions: Raydor and MYKZDRM

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like I'll get her back Monday. They have to get a radiator from another dealer.

Michael

·
Banned
631 Posts

Michael
Not uncommon, that and oil leaks from the oil cooler fittings at the engine block. So, I was correct? Advice was sound and accurate?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not uncommon, that and oil leaks from the oil cooler fittings at the engine block. So, I was correct? Advice was sound and accurate?
The dealer is suspecting over torqued fittings but will know for sure when they tear it down. Yep you are on or mighty close.

Michael

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I must have the record for having posts removed!

Reactions: PoconoG

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I feel sorry for you Michael, knock on wood so far I only had 2 issues since owning it, garage button on visor and paint chiping issue, 1,336 miles on it today so far. I hope I do not experience when I get more miles, maybe I will stop driving it and just leave it parked in the garage?:confused:

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I feel sorry for you Michael, knock on wood so far I only had 2 issues since owning it, garage button on visor and paint chiping issue, 1,336 miles on it today so far. I hope I do not experience when I get more miles, maybe I will stop driving it and just leave it parked in the garage?:confused:
Thanks Steve. The bright side is catching it now, not on a road trip. I am a little puzzled why this issue is getting more common.

Michael

·
Registered
429 Posts
I first thought about that and checked and looked around the belt tensioner. It looked dry. It seems the description others described was black oil. This oil is very red mixed with water. The challenge I'm having is so few drips over 6 weeks.

Michael
Correct. The hydraulic fluid is black... very black.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Auto trans? If so sounds like the trans cooler line connection. Dealer visit time.
Auto Trans? That cooler and the transmission is in the rear of the car.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
DEX Cool is orange (close enough to red to be confused). It's probably a leak from a loose hose fitting or the drain valve in the radiator. There have been a couple reports of radiator leaks from the drain fitting.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One thing I'm absolutely sure of, it was red and it was oil. More will be revealed.

Michael

·
Banned
631 Posts
Auto Trans? That cooler and the transmission is in the rear of the car.
The radiator has an integrated cooler for the auto trans in it, the lines run from the trans up to the radiator and back. The sides of the radiator that these fittings attach to are plastic, and over torquing cases the area to crack and leak. Common on the Gen5 Camaros as well as the C5. C6, and C7's. Good thing is he caught it and they are taking care of it. Shows the importance of walking around and inspecting the car.

as mjw points out, dex cool is orange. Power steering a darker clear, trans fluid is red, diff fluid is also pretty clear to dark, same as oil is. And where you find the spots are a good clue as to what the fluid is coming from.

They are not prefect, but still the most awesome Big 3 sports car overall to date (and I include the Viper...as I owned one of them as well, and the C7 has the luxury and comfort along with all the performance).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts