Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Administrator
16,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, first apologies for a rambling post. It has been a looooong day or two.

Like WOW, OK, so I am a bit excited and tired but RedHot is now mine and I have put a couple of hundred miles on her. Here is a bit of not quite well organized thoughts and impressions from today. To back up a bit I came into Nashville a day early and went with my friend to the Lane auto museum.

If you ever get a chance you should do it. We spent from 10 in the morning to 5 at night with a break for lunch viewing all of the cars and stuff. Mostly European and mostly cars you rarely if ever see. Here I am inside of a motorized mono wheel bike. 25krn1d.jpg

Lots of interesting cars, but wait, this is about Corvettes, so here we go.

33n86yw.jpg vzki8o.jpg

We arrived at 7:45 a.m. for my delivery. My personal guide was Ron, who had 28 years (I think) with GM and was great. We first signed some releases; I gave copies of my insurance, driver’s license, actual license plate, and copy of the paid bill of sale. Then we started the factory tour. They take you in a van across to the factory. No phones or cameras allowed. The tour is absolutely fascinating. You see the C7 being assembled from all of the components. It is really interesting for example to see the dash and windshield assembly from its front and back and still not on the body, or the complete drivetrain including brakes and shocks and then get married with the body. Ron showed the differences between the base and the Z51, such as the beefed up cooling at the rear, the slotted rotors, etc. He pointed out tons of facts (which of course to some degree it is hard to take in since you are anticipating getting your car at the end of this :D ). One of the interesting things he pointed out that I did not know is we all get two saddle gas tanks, connected across the car and designed to fill and empty from them both equally. As you would expect you see tons of QC checks. Some of the more interesting were the final ones where they take each C7 onto a dyno, hook up a bunch of sensors and follow the machine’s commands such as to take it to such and such RPM. The machine and operator take the car up to 70+ mph and it runs about 800!!! checks on all the electronics while doing this. If it fails then they take it to another area and based on the info correct the problem. They also take every C7 into a heavy duty power wash for several minutes to check the water tightness out. They also take it out for a short test drive before giving it final approval or sending it back for correction. We also saw them going over each car to check the tolerance of the gaps everywhere with gauges and if one was out they would correct it. Oh, I saw two C7 convertibles being checked out. Apparently they are now in the uber low production stage of about 40 that they are putting through the paces. These were definitely not cars to be sold to the public.

So after the great tour you go to the Museum to go through its extensive exhibits and your guide stays with you answering questions and pointing out interesting info (seemingly based on your level of interest). Then you exit through the Museum store and finally to your car. Which has been on exhibit (but behind protective ribbons) since you came in. Your name is on the placard by the car. Your name is also on the Museum plaque on the dash, plus they put (with your approval) a special Museum delivery sticker on the door jam. They go over everything on the car with you and continue to ask if you have any questions. When that is done your guide drives you out with you in the passenger seat through the long Museum hall where everyone (a lot of staff) are thanking you for your purchase and clapping. While in the Museum lots of visitors are taking pictures and complimenting you on your car. Then when you are driven out of the Museum, you are given your keys and they take further pictures of you. Oh, you also get a nice physical plaque for the wall and they send you the insert with your name for it. The car is fully tanked up and of course shining gorgeously.
After I took some additional pics and let my friend take it for a spin I was about to leave when I was asked by Lori from the Museum if I would like to have RedHot be part of an ad they were shooting for the Museum Insurance. I said sure and so RedHot was famous and in the pictures right off the bat. :rolleyes: The ad is supposed to air sometime this coming week on the Speed channel I think. When they let me know I will post it.
iqj81e.jpg
28uk592.jpg

Ok, so to my initial impressions in no particular order. The car is stunning in person and really exceeded my expectations on all levels. Fit and finish is beautiful. The performance exhaust is astounding (I set it to be on all the time for now). Power was amazing, even being very careful to keep it under 4000 rpm, and vary the speed (I drove pretty much 70 mph + or – 7 mph most of the time today). I could notice sometimes it dropping into v4 or going back to v8, but nothing objectionable. The back up camera works superbly and is very clear, day or night. I would like to have proximity sensors front and back but will certainly be able to learn where what is. The mirrors when properly adjusted seemed to minimize or eliminate any blind spots. The interior dash lighting when it transitioned from day light to twilight seemed a bit dimmer than I would like (even with the rheostat set to max). The paddle shifters worked very smoothly and effectively. The Bose sounded quite good once I adjusted it, though I was much more intrigued by the performance exhaust symphony. I was able to remove the transparent top myself first try, but did get assistance putting it back—primarily since I was dealing with a bit of adrenaline and less sleep than norm (for some reason ;);) ). Lots and lots of cars passing me on the highway gave me a honk and thumbs up. Only one jerk came screaming up on my tail when I was doing slightly over the 70 limit in a truck that obviously had a souped up engine and pulled along side, dropping back a bit, revving his engine and trying to get me to take the bate. I just ignored him and after about 5 minutes he gave up. At the couple of rest stops I took, people came over and took pictures and said very nice things about her (a number were owners of older Corvettes).

You can probable tell (if you have gotten this far) I am totally excited and extremely happy with the C7. Really looking forward to the continued drive back to Vegas. More posting to come and pics...:cool:

·
18,670 Posts
Congratulations Jeff. Hello RedHot!!! She's very pretty. And she's going to be a TV star!

Got a few, but not so good web cam pictures of you while Ron was explaining how she operates. Your smile said it all.

Safe travels home!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Congratulations, Jeff. RedHot looks gorgeous. Looking at those exhaust tips, I think I now know what that sound was that I heard this morning. :)

Enjoy the drive home.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You definitely seemed like you had a lot of fun. I've been seeing ur posts about red hot I'm happy u finally get to drive her! You've almost convinced me to do a museum pickup/delivery. But I don't think I can take the time off of work but we shall see. Definitely seems worth it

·
Administrator
16,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. Appreciate it! Off soon for day two of that fantastic 4 tip symphony and some great driving:cool:

Reactions: SCR2014Vette

·
Registered
187 Posts
I really enjoyed that read! Congrats!!

·
Administrator
16,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Day two observations

Again, I really appreciate all of the comments. Thanks :cool: Day 2 was even better. I put on an additional 600 + miles including two extended runs in very heavy downpours and driving wind in Oklahoma. Today's observations:
-Having your actual speed showing in HUD is a great help since you really don't have a feel for how fast you are getting above any posted speed limit (you obviously have a feel for how fast you are accelerating but not the actual speed you are at);
-the car is 'dangerous': people pull up and drop back and then pull up on the opposite side to take cell phone pics ( which is somewhat OK, but sometimes it is the driver of the other car doing it rather than a passenger)- no other car I have owned including my 1975 Rolls Royce Corniche drop head coupe has ever garnered as much positive attention;
-I had no problem with the gas pump on my first fill attempt, it filled it right up on the first auto stop by the nozzle;
-the speedometer reading matches my independent GPS driven read out perfectly;
-the tac has a 'temporary' red line around 4000 rpm until you finish the initial 500 miles- you can see it here and in the heads up display
rcsr9j.jpg
2echdts.jpg

Here are a couple of shots after the 500 mile mark
:

2uj14p0.jpg
2hd7hpz.jpg

-The car handled superbly in the heavy rain and winds. I did set it to "Weather" and dropped my speed as appropriate.
-I tried some of the different setting after the storms, comparing the handling. I found you could really notice the difference in the steering. As you went up towards track, the steering required more effort at high speed than in the settings like Tour. Miles per gallon continues to be great, but it did seem to drop more than I expected when I was in the Weather setting in the storms- that could be the clear result of the headwinds though.
-I really like the transparent roof panel- it has a blue tint looking out from the inside (it appears almost black from the outside) but really gives the interior a very open feeling.

Lastly, I have a question for other C7 owners: is there a way to have the posted speed show up in the HUD? I can do that in my XTS but have not found a way to do it in the C7. I can get the posted speed to show up in the central dash display.
:cool:

·
Administrator
16,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
not that i have found...I'd also like the HUD to restart in the mode I left it.....
What do you mean re start in the mode you left it? Mine starts with the same setting I shut down in, but that is the settings I set up. When I get back I am going to contact GM to see regarding the posted speed display in the HUD-

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I like just the speed numbers up which are one click away after I start up in sport mode. I would like to start there. Instead every time I start I get the rpm circle/speed mode...

·
Administrator
16,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I like just the speed numbers up which are one click away after I start up in sport mode. I would like to start there. Instead every time I start I get the rpm circle/speed mode...
Oh, I missed that you were talking about the HUD and thought you were talking about the dash. Since I was very interested during the break in period in the RPM, that rpm circle/speed mode was fine for me. I will let you know if I find anything out from GM once I get back and get the chance to follow up. By the by, your work on your car is great and very informative for many of us!:cool:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Congratulations! Enjoy your road trip home....I know I did.

Here's to many miles of smiles.

Paul

·
Administrator
16,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Have you tried setting it up with preferences and then hitting the M plus your key (1) to set it?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts