Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2017 Stingray.

Had same issue with my 15, but no where near as bad.
Every time I try to refill tank the pump handle kicks off after about 5 seconds. Directions on gas cap/lid are useless. Tried every position possible including holding pump nozzle upside down and I'm pushing it in as far as possible.

·
Administrator
17,298 Posts
Are you having the issue primarily at the same gas station? On my 1300 mile drive in WhiteHot, I had no issue fueling at all stations along the way except one where the pump kept kicking off every few seconds. I'm pretty sure it was defective and had nothing to do with the C7 fuel filler set up.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
I found that if I only squeezed the handle part way ,rather than full blast, it worked much more reliably. Generally the middle of the three latching positions worked.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I am glad you posted this. I thought I was crazy. I may be but...

If I can get mine take fuel at flow of 1/3 of the handle compression I am doing well. Any gas station, any weather, any level in the car's tank. Qualitative data says it is worse when I am in a hurry. 🤬 I thought I had it figured out the other day because I got 7gal at nearly full flow. A week later, I couldn't reproduce the results.

·
Administrator
17,298 Posts
I am glad you posted this. I thought I was crazy. I may be but...

If I can get mine take fuel at flow of 1/3 of the handle compression I am doing well. Any gas station, any weather, any level in the car's tank. Qualitative data says it is worse when I am in a hurry. 🤬 I thought I had it figured out the other day because I got 7gal at nearly full flow. A week later, I couldn't reproduce the results.
That's not good. When you insert the nozzle in are you easily clearing the flap? There was at least one TSB I recall related to the filler tube:
Service Bulletin No.: RB-14689
Component(s): FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE
NHTSA ID Number: 10057648
SUMMARY:
CHEVROLET: TSB CONTAINS AN OWNER NOTIFICATION LETTER. SELECT DOCUMENT SEARCH BUTTON BELOW. THE GRID WILL MOVE OVER TIME AND BE LOCATED SLIGHTLY DEEPER IN FUEL FILL PIPE DUE TO OUT OF POSITION ANTI SIPHON GRID, LOCATED WITHIN FUEL FILL PIPE, AND TOTALLY DISLODGING FROM PIPE AND GOING TO BOTTOM OF FUEL TANK. MODEL 2014 CORVETTE. *PE

·
Registered
397 Posts
this thread prompted me to do a search. Doesn't look like any resolution just a few more people with same issue and then down a few rabbet holes. Yes I clear the flap. Not going to my dealer because it is not worth it to me to have the dealer poke around for $200 to have them tell me it is the station or the way me, my wife, and son are holding the nozzle on only this car of our five.

(16) Fuel nozzle issues on my new C7 | Stingray Corvette Forum (stingrayforums.com)

·
Registered
10,669 Posts
Sometimes I have the problem, and sometimes I don't, even at the same gas station and pump. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I don't recall ever having this problem, but one time at Costco when I was fueling from the opposite side of the car's filler, one of the attendants admonished me to hold the handle right side up (I was holding it upside down because the hose had to go across and above the car). He said that often the pump handle won't work if upside down. I told him I never had such a problem but I have since followed his directions. --Bob

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
^^^
Sometimes the auto shutoff won't work properly if the nozzle is upside down, which results in gas spewing out of the filler neck. It seems to depend on the particular car, and maybe nozzle. I've seen it happen once (not to me!).

·
Registered
20 Posts
2017 Stingray.

Every time I try to refill tank the pump handle kicks off after about 5 seconds. Directions on gas cap/lid are useless. Tried every position possible including holding pump nozzle upside down and I'm pushing it in as far as possible.
I drive my 2015 very seldom so like to keep the tank "full". No problems as shared here, but. at the cost of gas these days I purposely put in slowly in order to give myself the impression that it took me longer to put in, say, $25 worth of gas than I was accuromed to putting in $50 worth of gas.

BTW, I've been advised you should not fill it to the very top because you need to retain some air in with the fuel in order to prevent whatever it was I read somewhere.

Don't forget; the longer you remain at the pumps the more admiration and questions about your Corvette. 😎

·
Registered
7 Posts
2017 Stingray.

On my 2016, I routinely turn the nozzle upside down. I NEVER have an issue, even at wide open setting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had an issue with check valve on capless filler on another vehicle. Pump would click off 5 gallons before full. Was fixed under warranty. You do not want to completely fill the tank to the brim on any vehicle - extra volume for some compression in a crash is built in. On capless fillers, if you click the pump several times you run the risk of filling the vapor recovery cannister, which will not be covered under warranty and isn't cheap.

·
Registered
80 Posts
2017 Stingray.

2017 Stingray.

I was told that putting nozzle too far in tank...worked.

·
Registered
101 Posts
2017 Stingray.

Mine came with some sort of "funnel" for certain gas pumps. I've never needed to use mine. Did you buy yours new?

·
Administrator
17,298 Posts
The funnel (usually found in the trunk either in the small storage bin on the left side of the trunk or in the foam cover over the battery) is OEM and provided for the use of emergency fuel fill from a gas can. It is designed to be long enough to open the flap part way down the filler tube. With out it, if you tried to fill from a gas can the gas would end up being pretty much blocked by the flap and spill out of the filler tube.

Reactions: stevec

·
Registered
80 Posts
2017 Stingray.

Mine came with some sort of "funnel" for certain gas pumps. I've never needed to use mine. Did you buy yours new?
Yes...been a GREAT car! Want to trade but don't like new body!!! Do you?

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
244 Posts
lesliecavotti,

This thread is about re-fueling. You may want to start a new thread regarding the c8 vs c7 body style. But do a search on it first.... I'd be shocked if there isn't already one about it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts