Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Curious to know how much does it cost to register a new 2022 C8 in your local area.
My new 2022 C8 will have an MSRP of $82K.
My local sales tax where I live in Colorado is 8.64%
So I have to pay about $7,100 in taxes.
Registering a new car to get plates in Colorado is very brutal, it will be about $2K for my new 2022 C8.
Colorado calculates their fees on the value, age and weight of the car.
Naturally the more expensive a car is the higher the registration fees
Remember that I have to pay this very high registration fee every year, this fee does go down very slightly each subsequent year though, still very brutal.
So just to put license plates on my new 2022 C8 is going to cost me an additional $9K.
Colorado might be the most expensive state to buy and register a new car.
What are your costs in your state?

Reactions: 1KUIKC7

·
Registered
710 Posts
I guess it depends. Yes you could have a high sales tax and registration, but you may have a low or no income tax.. pretty sure it all evens out, but in Maryland, we have 6% sales tax and about $300 for two years registration.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess it depends. Yes you could have a high sales tax and registration, but you may have a low or no income tax.. pretty sure it all evens out, but in Maryland, we have 6% sales tax and about $300 for two years registration.
Unfortunately Colorado also has state income tax.
It is one of the most expensive states to live.
We have a horrible state government and a horrible state legislature.
It reminds me on why we had the Boston Tea Party years ago......we were fighting unfair taxation.

·
Administrator
16,743 Posts
Please refrain from getting into politics on our forum. Thank you.

Reactions: Ed Wolfe

·
Registered
10,639 Posts
In North Carolina it is 3% use tax on new vehicles that is paid the first year. The yearly re-registration has a factor which depends on your local government, but here property tax on a vehicle is $10 + 0.8719% of the present year's value (yes, less than 1%).

The state income tax has been steadily decreasing for about a decade. Certain people screamed doom and gloom when certain other people took over all branches of the state government back then, and drastically slashed taxes. The doom and gloom people said that the state couldn't function without all the higher taxes.

After almost a decade of lower taxes, so many people have been attracted to move here (including my wife and me from high-tax California), that the state rakes in far more in tax revenue, and has not only paid off the outstanding debt, but also has banked up a "rainy-day" fund. Imagine that: make more tax revenue by decreasing the tax rate... Because it will attract a far larger tax base of more people and businesses to move there. What a concept.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am just fed up with the ridiculously high new car registration fees in unfair Colorado.
Just this past May I registered my new 2021 Mercedes AMG GLE 53 with a purchase of $89K and without any sales tax counted here my registration fee alone for the first year was $1,940.
Why so horribly high?
I think Colorado is gauging its citizens.

·
Registered
87 Posts
When I lived in Louisiana, our sales tax was about 8%. The tag was a paltry $50 for 2 years. But the insurance companies hit you good. Oh, they also have state income tax.
I'm now in Mississippi. Sales tax is about 7%, But the tag is based on the vehicle's book value, which of course goes down every year. IIRC, my first Mississippi tag was about $700 for one year. That was a shocker. But the insurance is about half what Louisiana gets. And yes, MS also has state income tax, but I'm retired now and retirement income is not taxed. Property taxes are about the same between the two.
Needless to say, I like it down here. But then I like to sweat.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Curious to know how much does it cost to register a new 2022 C8 in your local area.
Registering a new car to get plates in Colorado is very brutal, it will be about $2K for my new 2022 C8.
Remember that I have to pay this very high registration fee every year, this fee does go down very slightly each subsequent year though, still very brutal.
So just to put license plates on my new 2022 C8 is going to cost me an additional $9K.
I paid close to 10k in sunny California 🌞!

·
Registered
4 Posts
In Delaware, there is a 4.25% transfer fee which includes your registration. Registration for a new car is 3 or 4 years not requiring annual state inspection until the next registration cycle. Annual registration is $40 per year, or $80 for 2 years. State inspection is done by the DVM and included in the registration fee. I have a speciality plate as a Distinguished Flying Cross recipient which had a one time cost of $10.00. Other vanity plates are now $50.00.

·
Registered
2021 C8 2LT Corvette, Ceramic Matrix Gray Metallic, Black Interior, Z51 Package, Front Lift, Engine
21 Posts
In Az MSRP $83K out the door after dealer goodies $86,500 tax on that $7K, license $1200.
I was not concerned on what the tax % charge or license fee was, your stuck with it anyway, I just wanted the car before my wife puts me in a senior living facility.;)
My fully covered insurance 50K/100K costs me $62 monthly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sales tax in Texas is 6.25%. No state income tax either.

·
Registered
26 Posts
In Georgia, it's 6.6% tax, plus 18$ title fee, plus $20 tag fee. Every year after that, it's only a $20 tag fee.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In Florida in my county 6.5%, Licensing approximately $ 70.00.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts