Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
16,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if one could turn off your own Stingray if it were stolen and you used your Remote App button to shut it off? This would prove to be a real value added plus to the otherwise somewhat anemic free remote app we get for 5 years.

·
1,400 Posts
I wonder if one could turn off your own Stingray if it were stolen and you used your Remote App button to shut it off? This would prove to be a real value added plus to the otherwise somewhat anemic free remote app we get for 5 years.
On Star does not allow you to do that on your own.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Bummer ... that would be cool!

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Are you looking for volunteers to take RedHot for a spin? :)

Reactions: jsvette

·
Administrator
16,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On Star does not allow you to do that on your own.
Let's simplify the question. If somehow your Stingray was started away from you, I believe you can use your free (for 5 years) remote app to stop the engine. I know you can do that if it is stationary.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
If you car is stoen, the police can get onstar to locate the car if a police report is filed. Once located, onstar can slow the car down, but not turn it off...

·
Administrator
16,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is not an option on the on star app I have.
My OnStar Remote app looks a bit different, it has an additional row below the Lock Unlock symbols and above the Horn & Lights Stop Horn & Lights row, saying "Remote Start Cancel Start"

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
That is not an option on the on star app I have.
Only available with remote start which is only available on the automatics.

·
Administrator
16,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you car is stoen, the police can get onstar to locate the car if a police report is filed. Once located, onstar can slow the car down, but not turn it off...
that is my understanding as well Glen even if you do not have an active subscription.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Is it possible to shut off the car with the remote if there is a person in the car with a second key? I hope not.

·
1,400 Posts
That is correct. I work in law enforcement and deal with On Star frequently. If your car is equipped but subscription is not active they will not assist you or law enforcement.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
That is correct. I work in law enforcement and deal with On Star frequently. If your car is equipped but subscription is not active they will not assist you or law enforcement.
I'd pay On Star a per use fee if they'd help recover my car.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Not my experience...... with bmw assist, if the system is working, even if not subscribed, bmw assist will located the car for law enforcemnt only, i called onstar last year and they told me same...

·
Administrator
16,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Interesting, I would think that might make for a nice challenge of their having knowledge (from the police contact) of a crime in progress and the ability to pin point the stolen vehicle and then not assisting.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
While there are lots of laws that make it illegal to interfere with law enforcement's efforts to combat crime, I know of no law that requires the real time affirmative cooperation of a third party with law enforcement to thwart a crime in progress.

·
Administrator
16,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lets stop going back and forth, somebody hit the blue button and ask....i did last year, now its somebody else's turn.
I also asked and was informed that they will not help the individual but would if the police asked them.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I also asked and was informed that they will not help the individual but would if the police asked them.
Yup, i was told the reason they would not tell me as an owner but would tell the police with a filled police report was people early on were using it to track down spouses, others, etc....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts