Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon everyone. New Corvette owner 2016 Z51 2LT. Need to replace the air filter as the dealer did not. Is the standard one good enough or is it worth a little more to upgrade? Again just looking for recommendations on the air filter only with any brands that you use. Thank you.

·
Administrator
15,891 Posts
Welcome to our forum and congrats on your Z51.. The standard filter will do just fine. Replaceable ones that require oiling can be highly problematic, with the oil getting sucked onto the oxygen sensor if too much is used. HP gains from 'freer flowing' filters are unsubstantiated. Enjoy your C7!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perfect,
Welcome to our forum and congrats on your Z51.. The standard filter will do just fine. Replaceable ones that require oiling can be highly problematic, with the oil getting sucked onto the oxygen sensor if too much is used. HP gains from 'freer flowing' filters are unsubstantiated. Enjoy your C7!
that is what I was looking for. Not really interested in additional HP, just wasn’t sure if the factory one is great quality or not. Is there a particular brand from the auto parts stores or should I just get one from our local Cheverolet dealer?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Good afternoon everyone. New Corvette owner 2016 Z51 2LT. Need to replace the air filter as the dealer did not. Is the standard one good enough or is it worth a little more to upgrade? Again just looking for recommendations on the air filter only with any brands that you use. Thank you.
Check out BM Motor Sports. A much better air filter for $89.00 . I have the same car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The Chevrolet/Corvette manual shows a 4 year or 30K mile change. Most Corvettes are not driven on dirt/dusty roads.
I always inspect an air filter. Most often they don't need to be changed unless the car was driven close to Mt. St. Helens after it blew it's top.

Reactions: steve2jenny

·
Registered
401 Posts
Check out BM Motor Sports. A much better air filter for $89.00 . I have the same car.
Did the speed limits go up? Better how? Provable improvements? 10% here 10% there - thats what they say. Well if you have money to burn why not? These cars are rock solid off the floor. If you track it for money go for it..

We love these cars for their looks and performance out of the gate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Attack Blue air filter is what you want! Don't waste your money on a CAI. They provide zero benefit on the LT1 motor over stock and anyone that says differently is either trying to sell you one or trying to justify to themselves the waste of money.

·
Registered
401 Posts
My C7 has the LT 2 motor with stock air filter she hits & exceeds speed limits everywhere... Stock air filter are all ya need but if you got money to burn, I bet they say you’ll get 10% more horsepower. Never seen any “data” to back the claim up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve done very well using the OEM filters across all my vehicles for years. Unless you are going to track it, what’s the point? Now that’s never stopped me either LOL

·
Registered
318 Posts
If you haven’t driven a vette with a new K&N air intake system you’re really missing out!
The guy who sells my used cars won't touch a one that has had a K&N oiled filter installed. "Biggest scam ever perpetrated. All the oil does is foul things up". K&N and Amsoil have been suckering us for years. Have you ever heard of any car that has used the manufacturers recommendations having an associated problem. In my opinion, that is the real test.

Reactions: Biker 911

·
Registered
2020 C8 Z51
1,429 Posts
My solution for my 2014 Z51 was an aFe low restriction system with a larger cleanable air filter. When I sold the car after 3 1/2 years removed it, cleaned the filter and it's now in my Grand Sport.

This is a PDF, How To: http://netwelding.com/Cold_Air_Intake.pdf

This is a pic of the aFe (left) vs OEM filter:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts