Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with only 19500 miles on my 2917 corvette I’m either the unlucky person alive or someone doesn’t like corvettes. I got two nails on the pasenger side tires of which I replaced with Michelin SS pilots. That was in May. Now I have a puncture in the drivers side rear. So I’m considering switching to Michelin SS a/s 3 +. Will the ride be all that different with the switch from Michelin SS pilots

thank tou

pickle

·
Administrator
16,228 Posts
This May I replaced RedHot’s original tires with Michelin Ultra-high performance all season Pilot Sport AS 3+ ZP tires, and have been very pleased with them. No noticible difference in ride, handling or noise. I anticipate that they will be somewhat better in situations when temps are in the 40s, where the original Michelin Summer tires started to perform poorly.

Reactions: warp ten

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
This May I replaced RedHot’s original tires with Michelin Ultra-high performance all season Pilot Sport AS 3+ ZP tires, and have been very pleased with them. No noticible difference in ride, handling or noise. I anticipate that they will be somewhat better in situations when temps are in the 40s, where the original Michelin Summer tires started to perform poorly.
I echo Jeff comments. Replaced my Pilot Sports with A/S3+ZPs in April at 21,000 miles and like them a lot. they drive fine ( I don't track my car) and I am hoping to get some more time out of the car before I put it up for the winter.--Bob

Reactions: jsvette

·
Registered
79 one owner, 2001 coupe, 2015 Z06
881 Posts
I definitely plan to put the a/s 3+ on our Z06 when I need tires again.

Reactions: jsvette

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,471 Posts
Decided to sans the Michelins after wearing out 10 tires in 4 years, mostly due to 3 times at VIR plus 50 K miles. Went with a non run flat tire this time, opted for a set of Pirellis, smoother and quieter ride (IMO). So far, wearing very well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So with only 19500 miles on my 2917 corvette I’m either the unlucky person alive or someone doesn’t like corvettes. I got two nails on the pasenger side tires of which I replaced with Michelin SS pilots. That was in May. Now I have a puncture in the drivers side rear. So I’m considering switching to Michelin SS a/s 3 +. Will the ride be all that different with the switch from Michelin SS pilots

thank tou

pickle
I replaced the front tires on C7 with AS 3+ after 20,000 miles. Noticeable reduction in noise on concrete roads. Handling is very good. The tire skip on slow speed turning is GONE. Anxious to replace rear tires. I do not track the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts

thank tou

pickle
Hi !!
You're not alone. I just lost BOTH of my rear tires (2016 Z06) to nails ! 16K miles. The right one had already been replaced at 11K.(roofing screw.... we've had many roofs replaced here in Naples from Irma.)
I'm doing the same Michelin A/S 3+.
They're on back order, so the car sits while I wait for them to arrive.:(

·
Registered
63 Posts
I put A/S 3+ at 15400 on my 2015 Corvette stingray last May. So I’ve had them for a year and I love them. 16400 on the car now. These new tires replaced the original run flats. Did not like those at all. Bought the car with 7404 on the odometer.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I replaced the front tires on C7 with AS 3+ after 20,000 miles. Noticeable reduction in noise on concrete roads. Handling is very good. The tire skip on slow speed turning is GONE. Anxious to replace rear tires. I do not track the car.
Texas: Is it ok to miss and match tires? As3+s in the front and supersports in the rear. Any issues to worry about?

·
Registered
10,374 Posts
Texas: Is it ok to miss and match tires? As3+s in the front and supersports in the rear. Any issues to worry about?
Depending on the temperature, the mixed tires can more readily understeer/oversteer than the non-mixed case. However, you probably wouldn't notice this unless you were pushing the car harder than you should.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I didn’t see your reply sorry forghe delay, i am very happy with the handling. I have no reason to change the rear until they are worn out, will replace with A3+ zp at that time.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I didn’t see your reply sorry forghe delay, i am very happy with the handling. I have no reason to change the rear until they are worn out, will replace with A3+ zp at that time.
Usually it is a good idea to replace all four at once, especially if you are going to change the tires' handling characteristics, as you would by adding A/S3s at the front with Pilot Sports at the rear. And while few here lease their Corvettes, on a lease you have to return it with four matching tires with good read or you will get dinged. If you are going to leave the original rears in place and change the front, before you do anything, take a real close look at the very inside edges of the rear tires all around. I always carefully measure tread depth on all four tires with a gauge every six months of so in three spots across the tire. My OEM Pilot Sports at about a 20k miles were all showing very good wear across the entire tread, probably about 4-5/32 in most spots, all fairly even. However, when I went to take it down off the lift last spring I just happened to notice that on the very inside edge of the right rear I was showing a significant amount tire cord, plus a little on the inside of the left rear. It is a place that is somewhat hard to see and you can't really measure depth there but if the rubber wears away you can see it. It is the result of either a poor alignment or a stock alignment meant more for track than street. Lots discussed about that here and on other forums. If are showing any cords it is time for new rears. Also I recommend a 4-wheel alignment when you replace all your tires, using street (tire saving) specs. --Bob

Reactions: stevec

·
Registered
31 Posts
Usually it is a good idea to replace all four at once, especially if you are going to change the tires' handling characteristics, as you would by adding A/S3s at the front with Pilot Sports at the rear. And while few here lease their Corvettes, on a lease you have to return it with four matching tires with good read or you will get dinged. If you are going to leave the original rears in place and change the front, before you do anything, take a real close look at the very inside edges of the rear tires all around. I always carefully measure tread depth on all four tires with a gauge every six months of so in three spots across the tire. My OEM Pilot Sports at about a 20k miles were all showing very good wear across the entire tread, probably about 4-5/32 in most spots, all fairly even. However, when I went to take it down off the lift last spring I just happened to notice that on the very inside edge of the right rear I was showing a significant amount tire cord, plus a little on the inside of the left rear. It is a place that is somewhat hard to see and you can't really measure depth there but if the rubber wears away you can see it. It is the result of either a poor alignment or a stock alignment meant more for track than street. Lots discussed about that here and on other forums. If are showing any cords it is time for new rears. Also I recommend a 4-wheel alignment when you replace all your tires, using street (tire saving) specs. --Bob
I agree that you should replace all four tires at once. I would advocate to replace all four tires on all cars every time, especially on the Corvette . You should ALWAYS have the tires with the deepest tread on the rear of the car.

The reason for the deepest tread in the back is wet weather driving. Watch this video from Michelin.
. I have driven literally hundreds of cars and trucks and dozens of test tracks. I have driven on this exact track doing this exact test. No matter how good of a driver you think you this will happen. I was EXPECTING it and still lost control. Remember this is a front wheel drive car with less than half of the horsepower of the Vette.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
The video is a great demonstration of why four new tires are a good idea when you think you only need two. --Bob

1 - 15 of 15 Posts