Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently broke off the tip of the Stingray emblem on the fender of my 2016 Z51 while washing the car. I know....dumb! I've got the replacement emblem and would like to see if anyone can provide me with some expertise on removing the rest of the existing emblem and then installing the replacement? I've searched other threads and have found parts of info that I think will be helpful but nothing with complete guidance. Would appreciate any advice you've got out there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi. The only car I had to badge was a vintage muscle car, when replacement panels were installed. That technique won;t apply for you!

I assume the emblem uses the standard of using adhesive to hold the emblems.

What I'd do on a car like yours is clean that area of the panel really well. dry it completely and then frame the emblem (except where it is damaged) with 1/4" blue painters' tape.You just cut short little strips and apply them flat on the body panel, who cares if you need a dozen or more little 1" bits. Don't make curves. Then remove the emblem that's damaged. Now you have the exact perfect emblem location framed.

Removing the emblems on a modern car typically means softening the adhesive under the emblem- I've never done this myself but in a club I'm in, they do this with a hairdryer- and then fishing line behind the emblem is used to gently saw through the adhesive to free the emblem. Pressure from the line is carefully kept on the emblem to minimize the threat of any paint damage. Clean any stray adhesive off, being careful of your tape.

Now you just apply the new emblem into the framed area, and when that emblem is affixed solidly, remove the tape.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi. The only car I had to badge was a vintage muscle car, when replacement panels were installed. That technique won;t apply for you!

What I'd do on a car like yours is clean that area of the panel really well. dry it completely and then frame the emblem (except where it is damaged) with 1/4" blue painters' tape.You just cut short little strips and apply them flat on the body panel, who cares if you need a dozen or more little 1" bits. Don't make curves. Then remove the emblem that's damaged. Now you have the exact perfect emblem location framed.

Removing the emblems on a modern car typically means softening the adhesive under the emblem- I've never done this myself but in a club I'm in, they do this with a hairdryer- and then fishing line behind the emblem is used to gently saw through the adhesive to free the emblem. Pressure from the line is carefully kept on the emblem to minimize the threat of any paint damage. Clean any stray adhesive off, being careful of your tape.

Now you just apply the new emblem into the framed area, and when that emblem is affixed solidly, remove the tape.
Got it. Thanks for the reply Chris. Similar to what I've pieced together elsewhere, but great suggestion to frame with painters tape to ensure the new one goes back correctly! Appreciate it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I recently broke off the tip of the Stingray emblem on the fender of my 2016 Z51 while washing the car. I know....dumb! I've got the replacement emblem and would like to see if anyone can provide me with some expertise on removing the rest of the existing emblem and then installing the replacement? I've searched other threads and have found parts of info that I think will be helpful but nothing with complete guidance. Would appreciate any advice you've got out there.
just use some dental floss. put it under emblem and slowly wiggle till you reach the end. then use a tar remover to get rid of the glue that remains.

·
Registered
95 Posts

I covered the emblem with a wide piece of painters tape (to cover the entire Stingray emblem), and make it long enough to reach and go over the front door joint to the front quarter panel. Then, trace the logo on the tape, including a line down the back spine of the Stingray. Then, cut the tape at the door joint, leaving the tape on the quarter panel and peel back the emblem side of the tape, but leave stuck to the car behind the emblem. Remove the emblem. Stick the new emblem on the tape and line it to the trace you made. Then line up the tape to the part of the tape you left on the quarter panel, and your emblem will be 100% in the place that the old one was. There used to be a you tube video showing this, but I cannot find it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have replaced emblems on my C7. Great advice given - I used dental floss, hair dryer, and automotive Goo Gone to remove adhesive remaining - then cleaned with alcohol before applying new emblem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts