Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you replaced the tires on your C7 vette ,where did you go to get them done, a dealer , independent garage , franchise like tire rack? I understand a certain machine is needed to change these tires due to the type of rims on the car. Any bad experiences ?

·
Administrator
17,146 Posts
When you replaced the tires on your C7 vette ,where did you go to get them done, a dealer , independent garage , franchise like tire rack? I understand a certain machine is needed to change these tires due to the type of rims on the car. Any bad experiences ?
I used Costco to order and mount 4 Michelin Pilot Spt AS3. The process was flawless and no rim scratches etc.

Reactions: Steam

·
Registered
385 Posts
I used NTB, National Tire and Battery as I was traveling and that was the only place around Bowling Green with tires in stock the weekend of the anniversary Corvette Caravan. I was told by that manager that all the stores had the equipment needed.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Americas Tire or Discount Tire. Had the correct newer system for balancing and mounting..

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I have always had good experiences with Costco and Michelin tires but for my Z06 and its wide wheels and low profile run flats I researched what tire installers near me had both the Hunter Revolution tire changers and the Road Force Elite balancer (the Hunter website has a dealer locator on which you can indicate what equipment you are looking for). I found a Company-owned Firestone store fairly close by which had both. They did an excellent job.I replaced my OEM Pilot Sports (which lasted 20,000+ miles) with Michelin All Seasons (A/S3+ZPs). Since they were (obviously) not a Michelin dealer and could not offer the lowest price, they suggested I buy my tires from TireRack and have them shipped to them, as they are a TireRack approved installer. I did that and everything worked smoothly. They even let me watch how the Revolution worked--very impressive. One thing: the installer noticed that both my passenger side wheels were slightly bent. He was able to balance them out just fine and I have never felt any vibration, but like so many C7 Z06 owners I have been researching forged wheel options just in case they get worse or crack. --Bob

Reactions: Steam and jsvette

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
I ordered from Tire Rack, and had them shipped to and mounted at one of their authorized local installers.

One thing to keep in mind is that not all Michelin PS3s are the same. Michelin makes different constructions tailored to different cars and manufacturers, so the OEM Michelin on (for example) a BMW probably isn't the same as the one on your Corvette, even if they both say PS3 and are the same size.

Like BMW (in the video), GM worked very closely with Michelin during the C7's development to get exactly the handling, braking and wear charachteristices they wanted. The OEM Pilot Sport tires will have the code TPC molded into the sidewall. You can also get the "same" tire in the same size labeled as BMW Star, and possibly other manufacturer codes:

Of course, if you're going with something other than an OEM replacement tire (e.g. different brand, a newer Michelin, etc.) this won't be relevant. But if you want the OEM tires, make sure whoever you buy from is providing TPC spec tires.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Bought from Tire Rack who shipped them to my local mechanic. If you have someone you like for service, talk to them first. Tire Rack will pretty much ship them wherever you want

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got my Michelin 4S non run flat from Tire Rack last summer. The 4S were new and not in their order book or C7 size yet. Otherwise I would have got from dealer for about same price. Take care of them they take care of you. Plus I would never have anyone but dealer do the install.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Most of the answers that you get, probably won't be much help just because your local store will be different than other local stores. I went to tire barn for years without any trouble then my wife bought me a tire machine and balancer for my birthday one year. Now I do them myself. The machine I have is a Ranger R80EX. It does run flats/low profile tires. I changed all four on my 19 Z06. Most professional tire store chains will be able to do it without any issues because they are set up for these tires. I hate to give you a short answer but the best thing is to ask around. Your local Corvette club on Facebook would be a good start. I'm probably not much help and I'm sorry. If you were close to me I would do it for free.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I purchased from Tire Rack and had a recommended shop do the install.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I went to my local Big O tire store. I wanted Michelin AS/4 ZP tires. They were not in stock. I was running other errands and was not even driving my Corvette that day. They got the tires from their warehouse and called me the following day to come in for installation. No problems at all. They took excellent care of my car and allowed me to hang out in the bay while they installed them. Car rides smoother now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got mine at Costco and was pleased with the price and availability compared to the dealer and local shops.

·
Registered
2014 C7 Z51 LT3 Convertible
27 Posts
Find a quality independent shop with the latest tire removal and installation equipment which does not use clamping jaws, which will leave marks on in the inside of your rims. Very important if your rims are painted. Make sure they use the latest technology in computerized balancing machinery! Preferably look for a shop which is also an certified seller of a known tire brands such as Continental, Michelin, etc. Tires I just recently installed are Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus! They are superb tires, excellent grip, less noise than the factory Michelins and no more chatter or ripple effect when making a tight slow turn.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Only because you asked if there were any bad experiences, I’ll share mine. Had tires replaced once on my C7 and it wasn’t good.

Ordered A/S 3 plus through America’s Tire and had them installed there. Got home and noticed my rear passenger side rim black paint was chipped when the employee used a pry bar.

I left an online review after getting an email asking for a feedback review. The manager called me to discuss my review the next day. He swore they were powder coated and was shocked when I told him they weren’t. He told me to bring it in to see if it was his employee who caused the damage. Went there and he said yes it was definitely from their pry bar. He asked how could he make it right. I said a new rim or have it repaired. He said a new rim was not possible, and we both were going to try and locate a repair place as his rim guy no longer does work with them.

I called many places: dealer, collision, AWRS, etc. No one repaired these painted rims as most said they just buy new ones and black was too difficult to match. I did a lot of the leg work calling around without success and the manager appeared to not have done anything or definitely not much. I got a quote for powder coating. The manager said he would cover the cost of the damage rim to being powder coated. So, if I went that route he would cover $200 and I would pay $600 extra for the others to be done. I wasn’t happy and he said that’s all he could do. Anything more and it’s out of his control. I would have to deal with corporate.

Throughout the process I wasn’t a jerk or anything. I just wanted the rim to appear the way it was before the install or all 4 to match if powder coating was the only option. However, without any paint repair places in a city of 500,000 people, I didn’t have many options. I opted to receive the $200 and still have the paint chipped edge. I was thankful to get something but me spending more than my already couple of hours searching and calling places wasn’t worth anymore of my time.

So, my recommendation is to ask a local car club or at the least go to your dealer before selecting a chain location. My experience with America’s Tire obviously is specific to this location and not company wide. Your experience could be totally different than mine. Wish you the best finding a good shop. What tires you getting?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I used ZOHR. They specialize in all cars including exotics and best of all they come to you whether it's your work place or home. They have experience in high end custom wheels and ceramic coated wheels. What I like is its completed in front of me. No one else drives your car like they do at shops.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had Discount Tire install PS A/S 3+ On my ‘18 GS last Spring. I checked them out and my local shop does a lot of Corvette tire work to glowing reviews. The install was flawless and the pricing was pretty solid as well. My only regret (stop me if you’ve heard this) was not getting the 3+ years ago.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts