Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had the Mich. 01925 installed on Front and Mich. 17759 on the rear last week. Took a 400 mile trip this week and I cannot believe the difference it makes on my C7. Now what you have to watch out for on any forum are those who - when they buy something - all of a sudden it's the greatest thing for mankind and you must jump on the bandwagon :smiley_simmons:. I'll try to keep my enthusiasm subdued :positive:. First off: the ride is significantly less noisy. Wish I had taken some DB readings on the same road with the old and new tires to give something other than my feelings. Glad I didn't spend more than the $30 I spent on trunk insulation hoping to reduce the old tire hum. There is NO road noise I can blame on the tires. Now it's just wind noise. Secondly: the OE tires pressure would would rise 6#'s each on any road trip. The new tires have no temp rise - none. Third: None of the "chunk-bump" over a road divot. My Mag Ride takes care of all of it. AND Mich give a 45,000 mile warranty on these tires. Fourth: I don't feel any difference in handling. Kept in cruise at 62mph around 40mph turns and the C7 just went around as usual. Well - that's my report and I'm sticking with it:mushroom:

·
18,667 Posts
Thank you tlippy for that excellent, precise, and detailed review.

Yours was eloquent, and echoes what my friend with a 2015 SR said about his feelings about hi sputting that tire on his Corvette.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
They are indeed great tires! I've had mine since just right it the first of the year and love them. I have several thousand miles on mine with no complaints. They great in the cold and rain as well. I highly recommend them for anyone who won't likely track their car.
Though one small observation, tlippy - the air pressures you've noted doubtfully are due to the tires. More likely the installer filled them with straight nitrogen instead of plain old air. The nitrogen is more stable in changing temps, as well as has less moisture, both if which will contribute to steadier long term tire pressures. Many dealers now use it regularly, even on low-end cars.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'm happy with the A/S3+ ZP's I had installed recently. To tell you the truth my fronts were down to the cords (35,000 miles on OEMs) so a set of dry rotted tires off a grandmother's Buick would have rode better. 50 feet from the tire store I was smiling. I did a weekend run up to RT 66 so I had a variety of roads to experience fresh "skins" on. The best test is when you forget you even have new tires on because of the lack of drama.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I purchased a set of the Micheline AS tires and ended up with a set of tires that were apparently "blems" that vibrated at highway speeds. I took it to the Chevy dealer and was told that my wheels were bent. I had purchased the wheels from a guy on this forum as "take offs" and sent him a nasty message... which he responded appropriately. I built a wheel jig to fix the wheels and found that the wheels were in fact, perfectly round and aligned. The dealer was wrong and it was the tires that were the culprit. I guess the moral to the story is.... don't buy your tires on-line - - you may get "blems" which are not round.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I purchased a set of the Micheline AS tires and ended up with a set of tires that were apparently "blems" that vibrated at highway speeds. I took it to the Chevy dealer and was told that my wheels were bent. I had purchased the wheels from a guy on this forum as "take offs" and sent him a nasty message... which he responded appropriately. I built a wheel jig to fix the wheels and found that the wheels were in fact, perfectly round and aligned. The dealer was wrong and it was the tires that were the culprit. I guess the moral to the story is.... don't buy your tires on-line - - you may get "blems" which are not round.
Funny that U'd post this. I experienced this same sequence. My new Mich tires have a pulsing vibration at speeds between 50 mph and 70 mph. Took them back to Discount tire and they told my 2 left rims were bent. Went to a wheel expert and indeed my rims are bent. Getting them fixed net week. $125 each rim.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Tlippy, what type of rims do you have? It usually doesn't take that much to put a slight bend in even the best rims. Just look at the balancing weights on some cars. Were your bends that bad that they needed to be fixed?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Michelin does not sell out of specification "blems"...…. Know this for a fact---way too much liability on a Especially on a tire with the speed rating as this car requires. :) Need to do some research and in fact, why not contact Michelin formally before spreading this type of baseless rumor. :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tlippy, what type of rims do you have? It usually doesn't take that much to put a slight bend in even the best rims. Just look at the balancing weights on some cars. Were your bends that bad that they needed to be fixed?
O.E. rims

·
Registered
653 Posts
What's the highest mileage that anyone has put on the A/S Michelins? I had a set of the non runflats that were fantastic for about 3k miles, at which time they became noisy and the wet traction was horrible.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Fact is the wheels are perfectly straight and round and that leaves the tires.... not baseless at all and not a "rumor". If you can't make a legitimate comment, maybe you should just shut up.

·
Administrator
15,017 Posts
Let's please keep all posts civil. Thank you.

·
Registered
253 Posts
thanks for the review! at 8300+ miles, my Sport Cup 2s need replacing...I think I will be going with the AS 3+'s. Local Chevy dealer actually has them installed for less than tire rack!

·
Registered
333 Posts
HELP PLEASE...

I’m doing research. At this point I will probably stay with the Michelin OE tire ZPs they seem stiffer, ive been told they are designed to enhance the suspension, they sure keep the car on the rails if you know what I mean, they are predictable but loud based on some pavement.

�� I’m tempted to consider the Michelin 4s? I don’t think they are ZP. Any experience with the Conti extreme contact, pretty sure they are not ZPs.

Prefer UTQG of 300+. I’m at 17,600 ish on OEs. Do you guys carry a pump and fix a flat for non ZP tires?

I get spirted once and a while, no track days.

Thanks. Merry Christmas get back to family time.

·
18,667 Posts
jagamajajaran has been running the Conti’s on Tribute, and we all know how many miles he is putting on. He was just telling me that loves them, and they are wearing extremely well. You might wish to PM him.

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
I've posted this before but I really like my Michelin AS3 ZP's. I ran the Continental EC's for awhile with a "Slime" repair kit in the rear cubby. The Continental is a great tire but I wanted the security of a run flat. IMHO the Michelins are the best all around tires for the C7; quiet, very little ride harshness and enough grip without flinging stones at the rocker panels.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I've posted this before but I really like my Michelin AS3 ZP's. I ran the Continental EC's for awhile with a "Slime" repair kit in the rear cubby. The Continental is a great tire but I wanted the security of a run flat. IMHO the Michelins are the best all around tires for the C7; quiet, very little ride harshness and enough grip without flinging stones at the rocker panels.
As far as grip they are terrific! I can floor it from a dead stop and they bite like a champ. Very little tire spin. Squeal a bit for a fraction of a second, but they just dig in and go!

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have 21,000 miles on my A/S 3+ on a StingRay and love them. When the time comes I'll purchase the same ones again.
They are not as sticky as the stock tires but they last longer and are more responsive in colder temps.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts