Stingray Corvette Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I put a little over 30,000 miles on my first set of AS/3 ZPs, and they still had probably another 10k left in them. However, a pothole did severe damage to one of them and the TireRack warranty had expired, so I decided to replace all of them....with another set of AS/3 ZPs. These are fantastic tires.

I don't track my car, I daily drive it. IMO, by itself, the wet stopping distance versus the summer tires is worth whatever absolute traction I'm giving up in exchange.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Did the traction remain good for the life of the tires? My past experience with Michelin (including the factory tires) is that the performance (traction) severely degrades after just a few thousand miles. The summer tires were worthless in the rain, or temps under 50 degrees F.

I'm running the Contis now, and they're holding up and wearing great so far.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
without flinging stones at the rocker panels.
This is a major benefit of the A/S for me. Also the reduced noise. This is the tire I'll again purchase. All 4 tires OTD was less than $900 after all the rebates from Discount Tire

·
18,667 Posts
While I would have preferred that the A/S 3+ were they had been available when I need new tires for my Z06 (and had to get a replace method set of PSS’s, I respectfully disagree with the above comment about the factory tires being worthless in the rain. I find that they are excellent in the rain. Drove six hours in driving rain, water flowing across I-70 all day and in weather mode, neither the front nor the rear slid an 1/8” once. True, I reduced my speed from 75 to between 50 and 60, but I have accolades for the PSS’s for how they performed. BTW, the temperature was consistently in the 60-70 degree range all day.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I think "weather mode", temps 60-70, freeway driving at reduced speeds, and perhaps the age/wear of the tires might have contributed to your acceptable traction on factory rubber.

With 5k miles on the tires, 47 degree temps, stop and go traffic involving hills and turns, and tour mode engaged, your opinion might change.

Either way, I'm glad you found the factory tires acceptable. They weren't tolerable for me outside of summer/dry use...just my opinion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
While I would have preferred that the A/S 3+ were they had been available when I need new tires for my Z06 (and had to get a replace method set of PSS’s, I respectfully disagree with the above comment about the factory tires being worthless in the rain. I find that they are excellent in the rain. Drove six hours in driving rain, water flowing across I-70 all day and in weather mode, neither the front nor the rear slid an 1/8” once. True, I reduced my speed from 75 to between 50 and 60, but I have accolades for the PSS’s for how they performed. BTW, the temperature was consistently in the 60-70 degree range all day.
Try (if possible) doing some back-to-back wet braking tests. I did the Spring Hill school after driving on my AS3s for a year and was SHOCKED at how awful the wet braking was with the SuperSports, because of how good I got used to it being on the AS3s. Damn near took out a cone. I can only imagine how bad they are in the cold.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Did the traction remain good for the life of the tires? My past experience with Michelin (including the factory tires) is that the performance (traction) severely degrades after just a few thousand miles. The summer tires were worthless in the rain, or temps under 50 degrees F.

I'm running the Contis now, and they're holding up and wearing great so far.
Can't say I've noticed any serious performance degradation, nor did I notice any huge improvement when I put the new set on, other than being squirmy for the first 40-50 miles. The do get louder as they get older though.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Friend of mine bought the A/S 3+ for his C6 and he's so happy with them that he said it feels like he is driving a different car.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts