Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I received an email on my Caravan Captain email address a few days ago; it was from a lady name Jan Filley. She is looking for someone in the Albany area that has a yellow Corvette. She would like her step father to ride in one before he dies. He has severe stage 4 mesothelioma and is not well.

Here is her email:
"Hi, my step father is John Sandsted. He was a plumber for much of his life. He lost his eye, hearing in one ear and much of the bone on one side of his face in a plumbing explosion. John was a bachelor for most of his life and took care of his mother until she died. He married my mother 20 years ago and she passed away in May. Unfortunately, as a part of his plumbing job, he has contracted mesothelioma and is a stage 4 lung cancer. He has always loved nice cars, especially Corvettes. For many years he has told me that his dream is a "road stripe yellow" Corvette. He will not be able to drive again due to the lung cancer. I would love for him to be able to just have a ride in one. After living in Cannon Beach, I have brought him to live near us at Quail Run in Albany.
Thank you for considering my request!

Jan Filley
541-220-5629
3545 Sparks Ave NW
Albany, OR
[email protected]"

It would be great if one of our Corvette brothers could reach out and help with this wish. If someone can do this, please respond directly to Jan and post pictures of the event!

·
18,663 Posts
All is arraigned, and John Sansted is going for a ride in WRP SPD. I just talked with Jan, and I will be picking up her step dad on Friday morning at 9:00 AM. We are leaving on our BASH drive Saturday before the sun up, but I can not think of a better thing to do to help someone else before we head out. I remember my first Corvette 54 years ago, and time to “pass it on” to someone who will appreciate his ride. I am looking forward to our drive on what is supposed to be a nice sunny day.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
John, outstanding gesture!

SF
Rick

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
John, when you get to the BASH I would be honored to buy you a beer. What a wonderful act of kindness!

·
18,663 Posts
Thanks. I am so excited, for I just mapped out our adventure, with different routes depending on how strong he is, what he wants and is up for doing. I just figured out a large, very colorful present to give to John. Yes, it is of a bright yellow Corvette, but much better than of WRP SPD. It was a special present to me, but what better use for it than for him — to keep in his room, remind him of our drive.

I will post pictures of our time together this Friday after I return.

·
Registered
10,229 Posts
I am not surprised that you are doing this, John. When I saw this thread earlier in the day, it had only the original post and no replies. At the time I thought, "I bet John will do this." Sure enough, you have volunteered. Again, I am not at all surprised, because I knew you are the type of person who would wish to help him.

May you two have a fabulously great ride, and may you personally be blessed many times over for your willingness to help him.

·
Registered
32 Posts
John, looking forward to hearing all about your Heart Warming Act at the BASH. Wonderful Gesture !

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Great job John. Shows what a great person you are.

·
Registered
128 Posts
@elegant: Spectacular gesture.

I received an email on my Caravan Captain email address a few days ago...
@kenthomas4, what is "Caravan Captain"? If you received an email like that, you are doing something worthy of my respect. Thanks for explaining and making me feel even more humble.

·
Registered
177 Posts
This is John being John. Three years ago, without knowing each other from Adam, John volunteered to meet me at my father's nursing facility and along with a bunch of his Corvette buddies-on a rainy Saturday afternoon. They provided a 'joy ride' in WRP SPD for my dad and his wife (aged 99 and 94 at that time) that was truly memorable for them and for me.

Thanks again John for all you do.

·
18,663 Posts
Vetted53, that was a fun day, taking your Dad for a ride, along with our mini-parade with “Buzz” and “wcody111” and their Corvettes — and more nice folks from your family. Your Dad was such a wonderful, gentle and kind person, and did so much for his community (at its first Family Doctor).

Your Dad really liked the car’s power, though with very wet pavement, we took it fairly easily.

Attachments

·
18,663 Posts
@elegant: Spectacular gesture. @kenthomas4, what is "Caravan Captain"? If you received an email like that, you are doing something worthy of my respect. Thanks for explaining and making me feel even more humble.
To not side track this thread, here is a link to the 2019 National Corvette Caravan. They are regional Caravans which comes from the different parts of the country and all join together at the National Corvette Museum, roughly every five years — with around 5,000 Corvettes on the last one. Having been on four already, we are eagerly looking forward to the August, 2019 one. After reading the link, feel free to PM me any questions.

2019 National Corvette Caravan | All roads lead to Bowling Green, Kentucky for the 25th Anniversary of the National Corvette Museum

If in doubt as to whether one wishes to go, please watch this video done of a small part of the 2014 Caravan.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
John, this is who you are...thank you for being such a great example to us all.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts