Stingray Corvette Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Thank you for doing this John. It was a shot in the dark by her daughter and you came through. I am sure John and Jan appreciated everything you did. Do you still have her email address and/or did she get any of the pictures?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I found out from his daughter Jan that John (the plumber) passed away the following Tuesday; April 22nd. Sounds like John gave him the ride of his life!

·
18,667 Posts
Wow, I had no idea that his end was that close. Thanks for letting me know. Just four days later, he died.

Before the ride, when the daughter and I first talked, she told me getting a first Corvette ride was going to be so special for him that he had wanted one since 1958 when he first saw his first Corvette, a yellow one.

Yes, she got all the pictures I took (as well as those her grandson and her niece took).

·
18,667 Posts
I just got a text from John’s step daughter Jan. One never knows how a single act of kindness can have an effect. Here is what’s Jan’s text to me said.

As my son and his family were visiting John during his last clear moments, John whispered to my granddaughter not to tell her daddy (the cop) that he went 100 mph.

We will always treasure this wonderful memory. Thank you. Jan Filley”

That text brought tears to me eyes, and made me again realize, we never know how a single act of kindness can have such a positive effect on another person. I was the lucky person, at the right time, to be at the right place with the beautiful bright yellow Corvette that had been on his dream bucket list for 60 years. Thanks for looking closely into the car’s windshield, for this picture says it all.

A0E8654B-2BE8-4F1E-94CE-E79722A39D94.jpeg

·
Registered
633 Posts
We're here for just a cup of coffee... A saying I've heard abt life--how true it can be in the end...

What a gift you gave him & his family just before his passing, John--good on you & God Bless...

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
"We were right, we were giving. That's how we kept what we gave away."

from "Comes a Time" ... words and music by Neil Young 1978.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts