Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have suffered 2 bent rims with 6000 miles on car. Amyone else having issues driving around town bending their rims?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I have not had any wheel
Issues.

Are you hitting potholes or is this regular driving on smooth roads?

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
it goes with saying it's not from driving on smooth roads.....before paranoia takes over, this is not a huge, design or production problem....

I had a person call me yesterday with two bent front rims, he said he "hit a couple potholes hard" and the dealer showed him the out of round situation. Yup it'll happen, more so with the base car as the wheel is cast, not like the z51 forged (stronger)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yes, how are they getting bent.
I am debating whether or not to get the tire and rim insurance when my car arrives.
Thanks.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Sooooooooooooooo.
I have ordered the ZF1 wheels, 19 and 20's.
Are they the stronger ones?
The ZF1 are the Z51 wheels so you should be good if I understand things correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
The point is it should not be implied that the base wheels are "weak" - you smack a New York/New Jersey deep pothole the right way and no wheel is gonna stand up to that...

·
Administrator
16,311 Posts
No wheel issues in 6k+ miles on RedHot. :cool:

Reactions: MYKZDRM

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Sooooooooooooooo.
I have ordered the ZF1 wheels, 19 and 20's.
Are they the stronger ones?
Yep, but they also come with lower profile tires, which will transmit more "focused" or "localized" force into the wheel on impact.

The bottom line? Well, as Captain Obvious says, "Avoid potholes when possible".

"While taller profile tires can be damaged by the more severe impacts with deeper potholes and sharper curbs, low profile tires mounted on large diameter wheels are the most susceptible to this type of damage. The driver of vehicles equipped with low profile tires should make special efforts to avoid potholes, curbs or other road hazards." Tire Rack- Tire Tech

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
131 Posts
I got the rim/tire insurance so I'm almost hoping I'll get one bent :)

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
The point is it should not be implied that the base wheels are "weak" - you smack a New York/New Jersey deep pothole the right way and no wheel is gonna stand up to that...
glen, not true, after 911 we drove two LAV's through NJ up to NY and hit every pothole around not one bent rim!!:cool:
No bent rims or curb rash on my C7 yet, but we will be heading to Ohio soon they have some big ones.:(

SF
Rick

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was warned not to drive around in Track mode because the suspension is so stiff that hitting a pot hole could bend a rim (Z51). That said, I have yet to put the car in track mode.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I was warned not to drive around in Track mode because the suspension is so stiff that hitting a pot hole could bend a rim (Z51). That said, I have yet to put the car in track mode.

Wow, I'm speechless.

The crap dealers spew never ceases to amaze me. Hopefully you have MRSC so at least something actually changes when you switch modes.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

Reactions: elegant and johnu

·
Registered
1,204 Posts

Toss it in track mode and go hit the streets. It's not going to hurt you. Your car is not going to change that much. Your right foot will be the only thing that makes a big difference.

Reactions: Dennis

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've hit a few bad potholes that I didn't see in time because of the car in front plus the other day hit a rock bigger than a softball in the dark at 45mph. I held my breath EVERYTIME but so far so good. Only thing I can think is you are hitting bad ones at high speed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2015 Z06 with 9500 miles and have insurance at 900 per tire and 1100 for rear wheels. On a sunday drive started getting a vibration ,very lite but after changing Pavement and still their,took in to my dealer and have got 3 Bent wheels.I was at the dealership and saw them,note: jack up and look at the inside wheel while spinning and its without a doubt Bent, the support is on the outside not the inside also low profiles and such wide tires thei ya go. I am very careful when driving sure I have hit a chughole unexpected,but not bad. Monday the adjuster will be their and we will see what happens its probley going to be hard to cover the tires since still holding air, but the dealership will go to bat for me and try we will see.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Srayz06, welcome aboard. Three bent rims all at once, or did it happen during separate incidents? It's great that you have the insurance to replace them and get back to wheeling around TX.

SF
Rick

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
it goes with saying it's not from driving on smooth roads.....before paranoia takes over, this is not a huge, design or production problem....

I had a person call me yesterday with two bent front rims, he said he "hit a couple potholes hard" and the dealer showed him the out of round situation. Yup it'll happen, more so with the base car as the wheel is cast, not like the z51 forged (stronger)
OTOH, the base tires have taller sidewalls, so the rim has more protection. I've been driving my C7 with the base wheels and tires on Northern Virginia's poorly maintained roads for a year and a half with no issues.

·
Registered
5,070 Posts

Wow, I'm speechless.

The crap dealers spew never ceases to amaze me. Hopefully you have MRSC so at least something actually changes when you switch modes.
This isn't **** from dealers. The instructors at Spring Mountain say the same thing. And yes, it only apples to cars with MSRC. In track mode the MSRC equipped cars are STIFF. There's a reason it's called "Track' mode.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts