Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Road and Track selected the Hyundai Veloster N as their 2020 PERFORMANCE CAR OF THE YEAR.

Ok fine, they did not select the C8 because they said it fell from grace because of the DCT, “sinking the C8, was the transmission. A twin-clutch automatic, Corvette’s first. In automatic mode, on track or the street, it is perfectly adept, handing out shifts quicker than thought. But manual mode is a half step behind the competition, denying downshifts or letting the engine bash the limiter, unsure of how much intervention to provide.” So you pick the 275 HP Hyundai Veloster N as the Top Performance Car of the Year over
  • Corvette C8
  • Toyota Supra
  • Lexus RC F Track Pack
  • Lotus Evora GT
  • McLaren 600LT Spider
  • Lamborghini Huracan EVO
  • BMW M2 Competition
  • Mazda MX-5 Miata Club
  • Porsche 911 Carrera S
  • Nissan GT-R Nismo
In a word, PATHETIC.

I will never take this rag magazine seriously again, EVER!

For those that can stomach the article here is the link; https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-comparison-tests/a29640493/2020-performance-car-of-the-year/

As an aside, IMO, it’s the worst rambling performance car of the year article they have ever written.

·
Administrator
15,316 Posts
Funny thing, I seem to remember that Road & Track was going out of business last year.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I tried to read through the entire story but couldn't so I stopped reading. I just find it hard to believe that a 30k 275 HP Hyundai Veloster N no matter how good it is out performed all of the other 9 lists of entrants in all aspects to win the title.

I do know that Hyundai/Kia/Genesis brands are making some very good cars on par in the other car/suv segments and give them Kudos but this trophy just seems hard to believe objectively.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Our BMW/Mercedes/Land Rover dealership also had Hyundai.They guys scratched their heads when the weird little Veloster came out a few years ago. And they have not sold many of the three door specials since then. But as you can imagine, Kia and Hyundai spend A LOT of money on advertising.... Bob

·
Registered
996 Posts
From Matt Farah:

The whole point of PCOTY is for us to pick the car we think best represents the direction we want the industry to go. In this case, affordable, light, fast, fun, manual gearboxes, and with technology that serves engagement over outright speed.
Snowflakes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts