Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Were still about 6 months from release for the C5/C6 and the C7 to follow, then the mustang and Viper after that....but the Vette gets it first. This is our Partner in Italy that has design this, and we will begin distribution hopefully by Dec.

Watch the videos, and ask any questions and I will answer best I can.

This so you all understand means zero missed shifts, and shifting in milliseconds....so far quicker than the human is able to. Clutch is also controlled for launch, stops, etc.

If you road race, we want a few of you for the initial installs so you can eval and report back.

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Is there a link for the video?

·
Administrator
16,496 Posts
I am sure I am missing something here, but it seems like in essence you are now paying to convert your manual to an automatic. In fact the reasons for going with the system per the video echo the reasons many members chose an automatic in the first place.:confused:

·
Registered
221 Posts
I am sure I am missing something here, but it seems like in essence you are now paying to convert your manual to an automatic. In fact the reasons for going with the system per the video echo the reasons many members chose an automatic in the first place.:confused:
It's more targeted for racing. The shifts will be quicker and the drive train loses lower (the clutch doesn't slip while the torque converter in the automatic does).

That said, manual shifting is more fun ;) and I'm having a hard time imagining a scenario where the cost of this system and the complexity it adds is worth the gains.

·
Administrator
16,496 Posts
It's more targeted for racing. The shifts will be quicker and the drive train loses lower (the clutch doesn't slip while the torque converter in the automatic does).

That said, manual shifting is more fun ;) and I'm having a hard time imagining a scenario where the cost of this system and the complexity it adds is worth the gains.
If the target is primarily for racing, I seem to recall that GM's testing already found the C7 automatic shifts faster in a track situation than the manual.

·
Banned
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If anyone has ever watched a Formula1 race, or an Indy cars, listen to the up and down shifting. There is no way to make the auto trans as efficient as far as parasitic loss form the torque converter and the internal clutch paks. etc. This is taking the efficiency of the manual trans and taking shit times to the quickest possible with no RPM drop recovery time. Listen to how a F1 car shifts......this converts the manual trans to the absolute fastest, no throttle lift shifts possible as well as precise clutch control. In effect turning your manual trans car into as close to an all out F1 car as possible in regards to the shifting and clutch operation. I would imagine depending on the track, reducing lap times 5-10% plus. No auto can do this, and no human can come close to such gear changes. So I think your misunderstanding what this does.....and it can be driven on the street with a choice of settings making it comfortable for the owner that drives on the street during the week, and then runs events on the weekends. For the 1/4 miles drivers, should reduce 1/4 mile times .5-1 second for the same power.

This is NOT a "comfort product" to turn a manual to auto, it is the ability to emulate the same technology that goes into $million$ plus cars and several modern supercars (Ferrari uses similar, as does Lamborghini, etc.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts