Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a 2,000 mile road trip, including Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, Alabama, and Florida. During the entire time, only saw three C-7s; two in Destin, Florida and one in Birmingham, Alabama. I was really surprised at not seeing more.
I drove the "Tail of the Dragon" in Tennessee/North Carolina and thought it was pretty anti-climactic, but still fun.
Averaged 28 mpg for the entire trip, including a lot of lower-gear mountain driving. Never used 7th gear.
:cool:

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,558 Posts
Sounds like a nice trip. Fuel consumption is impressive with these cars, out of all the vehicles I own now, the C7 gets the best.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Got any photos?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Ha, I was in Destin FL and Birmingham AL from 9-29 to 10-8. We stayed at Tops'l in Destin. I love that place!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ha, I was in Destin FL and Birmingham AL from 9-29 to 10-8. We stayed at Tops'l in Destin. I love that place!
We've been going to Destin for about twenty years. It's really grown since then. Maybe a little too much. Still a great town. Great restaurants.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Take the drive to Key West. The road between Key Largo and Key West is amazing, bridge to bridge as you island hop. Car is useless once you get there, but the restaurants and bars make up for it!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Take the drive to Key West. The road between Key Largo and Key West is amazing, bridge to bridge as you island hop. Car is useless once you get there, but the restaurants and bars make up for it!
Amen !

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Yep, park the car, rent a scooter, life is good :)

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,558 Posts
Going down the Keys in Jan, will do a stop over at Mecum Kissimmee and the Corvette regional meet in Lakeland (was at Old Town before). Then slide up to the NCM.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You guys please keep coming to Destin; after paying off the "gentlemen's club" that took the city to court a few years back, the city needs the income--Payoff was $1.2mil. I recommend Back Porch and AJ's for fresh seafood--their food isn't as "touristy" as some other restaurants, although the atmosphere may be.... Also, the fishing tournament is going on at AJs for another week. Great fun at the afternoon weigh-ins. For those of you interested, you'll have to go to Fort Walton Beach, Mary Ester, Panama City, Pensacola or Valparaiso for that type of "adult entertainment" because Destin won't allow it!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There's a relatively new place called "Boshamps" that's good for seafood--great oyster bar.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
For those of you interested, you'll have to go to Fort Walton Beach, Mary Ester, Panama City, Pensacola or Valparaiso for that type of "adult entertainment" because Destin won't allow it!
Good for Destin, we will be back for sure, it is the best part of our trip to visit my Sister in Birmingham

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Just got back from a 2,000 mile road trip, including Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, Alabama, and Florida. During the entire time, only saw three C-7s; two in Destin, Florida and one in Birmingham, Alabama. I was really surprised at not seeing more.
I drove the "Tail of the Dragon" in Tennessee/North Carolina and thought it was pretty anti-climactic, but still fun.
Averaged 28 mpg for the entire trip, including a lot of lower-gear mountain driving. Never used 7th gear.
Curahee, it reads like you had a blast on your road trip and your did great on your mpg. Somebody mentioned pictures, don't they have cameras set up along the "Tail of the Dragon" and you can go to a website to find a picture of your Vette driving on it? I cant recall the website. maybe a fellow member would know.

SF
Rick

1 - 14 of 14 Posts