Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many Roadsters and how many Coupes are represented by members of this forum? It seems that Roadsters are in the vast minority and it would be nice to find out the reasons for your choices as well. As for myself, you can 't beat the wind in your hair feeling you don't get in a coupe and your visibility is much better when the top is down AND I love the profile of a roadster better than a Coupe...

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
As for myself, you can 't beat the wind in your hair feeling you don't get in a coupe and your visibility is much better when the top is down AND I love the profile of a roadster better than a Coupe...
All the same reasons I prefer convertibles - I've never owned a Corvette Coupe - to "confining" for me. I grew up on dirtbikes, then streetbikes, then convertibles. Maybe someday I'll progress to coupes... On second thought, nope!

Reactions: Kawika

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Need a coupe for the track.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I plan on ordering a roadster, for several reasons. First, the Corvette I owned in the 60s and 70s was a roadster, so I want to turn back the clock with a C7 in place of my C2. The second reason is that this car will be a totally frivolous personal toy, not a daily driver, so why not?

In the old days, Chevy sold a "2 tops" option where you got, in addition to your soft top, a removable hard top with a plexiglass rear window, painted the same color as your body. It worked pretty well, though I have no idea how you could design something like that for a C7.

·
Administrator
16,309 Posts
I ordered RedHot as a coupe, especially a base (non-Z51) model, because I felt it was truest to the lines exemplifying the Sting Ray heritage. To me, the lines coming down the back RedHot backside.jpg
are stunning. I went from a Porsche convertible to this as the best of all worlds- with the transparent top panel on it still provides a great feeling of openness and when I want the wind blowing through what hair I have left :rolleyes: I remove the panel (which is most of the time). Each to their own! :cool:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Personally I don't understand why anyone would get a stingray convertible. The coupe is lighter, cheaper and has a targa top, so it can be made into essentially a convertible anyway with none of the drawbacks.

Not hating on convertible owners at all, it's still a stingray, I just don't get it :)

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Personally I don't understand why anyone would get a stingray convertible. The coupe is lighter, cheaper and has a targa top, so it can be made into essentially a convertible anyway with none of the drawbacks.

Not hating on convertible owners at all, it's still a stingray, I just don't get it :)
josh; Interesting, I would never own a coupe. Out of curiosity have you ever ridden motorcycles?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
josh; Interesting, I would never own a coupe. Out of curiosity have you ever ridden motorcycles?
I have....200,000 miles of highway riding, which contributes to my preference for a convertible. And as for the price difference, if you deal with a competitive dealer, now that the early adopters have ordered their cars, you can usually get a better deal off MSRP on a convertible. And I suspect availability is better too.

Reactions: mjaybat2002

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
When you want to post a thread asking a question like "How Many" please use the poll feature. I doubt anyone is going to read through and tabulate the answers so a bare thread will never provide the info you are looking for.

For the record, if you are tabulating, we sold a convertible Porsche to buy a C7 coupe. And yes, we also ride motorcycles, have for decades. We both just like the lines of the coupe better and with the targa roof it provides all the open air we want or need when not on our bikes. Additionally, here in FL a convertible is a night time or winter car. Once it gets above 85 the top stayed up on the Porsche.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have a 14 coupe love it , also have a 13 427 vert I'm a very luckey guy!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Coup for me. I have had several convertibles and coups. I like the lines of the C7 Coup....nothing wrong with the convertible though.

·
Registered
922 Posts
The convertible offers an open freedom the coupe doesn't match. AND I hate the wind buffeting in the coupe with the top popped. My 94 did the same thing. It was pitiful you had to put a hook on the latch of the fast back to keep it slightly open to get rid of the buffeting. I see they still sell the hooks for the newer, not 07, models. One company used to sell a plastic accessory that looked like it was off a sun roof that fastened to the windshield latches. And I also like riding motorcycles with no helmet, swimming in the buff, and other feelings of freedom.

This convertible is number 8..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ordered a coupe. I initially wanted a convertible because I also like the lines top down better. Top up doesn't look as good as the coupe to me. I also never owned a convertible and figured that I might not enjoy having the top down as much as I imagined.

In the end what really did it for me is the lower price and the bigger trunk space.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Interesting question and some very interesting posts above.

I purchased the coupe for several reasons. The first being and this is just me personal opinion, I love the look of he convertible with the top down do not care for the look with the top up.

The coupe I just love the lines with the top on and well I just think the targa top off just is beyond anything I can say, it's just the best looking car I have ever owned.

I also own a Honda S2000 roadster for the past 5 years, great car and lots of fun, very rarely do I drive it with the top up, so I have some time in a roadster. For me driving in the coupe with the top off is no different than driving in a vert with the top down.

I get the best of both worlds a top off car with plenty of space for a long road trip, security of a hard top with the pleasure of a convertible.

This car hit all of my personal check boxes.

I still have the S2000, but it has become my second favorite car!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I purchased the coupe for several reasons. The first being and this is just me personal opinion, I love the look of he convertible with the top down do not care for the look with the top up. The coupe I just love the lines with the top on and well I just think the targa top off just is beyond anything I can say, it's just the best looking car I have ever owned. For me driving in the coupe with the top off is no different than driving in a vert with the top down. I get the best of both worlds a top off car with plenty of space for a long road trip, security of a hard top with the pleasure of a convertible.
This pretty much sums it up for me. I had a Toyota Spyder convertible a few years ago and found it stayed hot enough here in Eastern NC that I drove top up and AC on more than I did top down. Also for me, with the Targa top off, it seems just like a convertible unless I look back over my shoulder. Best of both worlds. Yes I did ride a Harley and a few other bikes over the years as well.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts