Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious about what to do about a couple small chips (not cracks) in the windshield from rocks while driving. Just leave them or have one of those windshield repair companies fill them in for fear of a crack developing? I hear the stingray windshields are very expensive.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Do you have Heads up display?

·
Administrator
16,914 Posts
Are the chips in your direct line of sight? If not I wouldn't do anything unless the chip is close to the edge of the windshield. Then I would look into the repair- your insurance co would probably pay for it independent of any deductible you have.

·
Registered
952 Posts
You are probably looking at around $3000 for new windshield, so find out how much your insurance will pay and then make your decision..might be cheaper to wait till the next big hit to do it rather than drive your insurance up...

·
Registered
346 Posts
Curious about what to do about a couple small chips (not cracks) in the windshield from rocks while driving. Just leave them or have one of those windshield repair companies fill them in for fear of a crack developing? I hear the stingray windshields are very expensive.
Just had one replaced in my 2010 Grand Sport. $1400

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Clear Plex, Clear Plex, Clear Plex.......google it or YouTube it.

Reactions: Vigilance247

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had a "bullseye" rock chip about the size of a nickel in my windshield right in the line of vision.

I had a mobile glass repair service fix it for $125 and it is 99% gone. The repair is invisible from the inside and can only be seen from an oblique angle from the outside.

The technician explained to me there are two types of glass repairs for rock chips. The cheap method that fills the crack but leaves a visible glob and smear and the more expensive type that blends with the glass.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have had 4 chips repaired so far and have a new one.
$35 each time. Don't want to do the insurance thing as it would affect my rates.
Checked on a new windshield here and was quoted $795 for a replace HUD Windshield.
Olympia, WA area.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Definitely check with your insurance company before you do anything. Some companies will pay in full to repair small chips rather than waiting and having to replace the windshield down the road because of cracking. In any event, IMO it would be a good idea to give your insurance company a heads up because of the cost of this windshield. Generally windshield repairs do not affect your rates.

·
Registered
186 Posts
You are probably looking at around $3000 for new windshield, so find out how much your insurance will pay and then make your decision..might be cheaper to wait till the next big hit to do it rather than drive your insurance up...
A bit high on that price, I paid about $920 to have mine replaced

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Wade; I am not sure where you live, but nicked windshields in cold climates have a nasty habit of spreading when hit with hot defrosting air. There may be nothing you can do about that, but it is possible a "repair" may prevent it from occurring.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ok I finally bring my baby out from the long winter hibernation and cruising down the interstate and POW rock into the windshield. I am disgusted because this is the second time this has happen to me in less than a year with a car that only has 5000 miles. Is it the design of these windshield"s that make them so easy to get chips or do I just have bad luck. I had the first chip repaired last year and it was on the passenger side and although I still see it I could deal with it, this time its a direct hit in the center of the drivers side. I know it can be fixed but think I might just get a replacement. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
281 Posts
I took a large rock about 2 months in requiring replacement. I'm 11 months in now and have a small chip. I've never had windshield issues like this with any other car I've owned.
I've had the opposite experience. No matter what I drive I get pelted. I don't think there's anything about the design of the car that contributes to your experience, just coincidence and a share of bad timing.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts