Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't really understand about the roof.

Is there a removable roof and a non-removable roof (fixed)?

If there are two options.... In the event the cart rolls, is the structural integrity if the removable option such that it would not collapse into the drivers/passengers space?

I haven't seen one in person and can't tell about the construction anterior and posterior to the occupants area.

Thank you for your time and help.

·
Super Moderator
3,300 Posts
Welcome to Stingrayforums TxDoc!

All C7 and C8 Corvettes are "convertibles" in the sense that none have a hard fixed top. Beginning with the design of the C7, the A pillars and the halo provide all the structural integrity needed for the safety of the occupants.

·
Super Moderator
3,300 Posts
https://www.corvette-mag.com/issues/88/articles/sweet-spot

Speaking of roll bars: The engineers considered fitting pop-up roll bars, like those used on the current Porsche 911 Cabriolet, but decided against it, for two reasons. “First of all, they’d increase mass,” says Juechter, who notes that the C7’s A-pillars have been beefed up to provide significantly more roll-over protection than Federal law requires. “Second of all, when we analyzed all the roll-over accidents of the C6, we realized they wouldn’t work. If you manage to roll a car like this, it’s going to be a high-speed, high-energy event, and you’re not going to roll over once; you’re going to flip up in the air and come down like an airplane crash.”

·
Administrator
15,095 Posts
Welcome to our forum TxDoc! As Vigilance247 noted, the C7 and presumably the C8 is roll over safe. There are currently two versions of the C7: a convertible (classic folding Vert roof) and a coupe with a removable single piece roof panel that stores securely in the back of the trunk (and still allows for ample storage of luggage or golf clubs under it). The removable panel on the C7 comes in three versions: solid carbon fiber painted the color of the body, exposed carbon fiber, and transparent 'plastic' panel. The only panel you can see through when it is on, is the transparent panel, however, it looks from a few feet away to be very similar to the exposed carbon fiber- that is black in color. Up close, the transparent has a blueish tint.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Welcome to the forum TxDoc.

From all of the vehicle rescues I've done and accidents I have responded to, I believe the structural integrity of the roof panel makes it as safe as any fixed roof as long as it is properly secured. Carbon fiber is a very strong material and should provide ample protection.

The strength of the A and B pillars is actually more important should the car ever be in the unfortunate situation of a roll over. You should feel as safe with the roof on or off as any other vehicle being properly belted in.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Great video - there's always something to learn! Thank you for posting it.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Another roof question sticking with the thread: Anyone seeing the price come down on the transparent roof for the C7 now that the C8 is a reality? I still can't understand why it is a $999 option when bought from the factory, but the aftermarket sellers I've seen all have prices way over this. With the way they are getting stolen, especially in the South, I am not confident in going to ebay to get one. Anyone have any ideas of getting one in the $500 range? I'd like to have it as an option when I don't want to have my color matched roof on, but just don't think they are worth $1,000 and up.

·
Registered
987 Posts
The $995 Transparent Roof option is the cost of the transparent roof above the cost of the standard roof (you're getting credit for the standard roof). If you order it aftermarket, there is no credit for your standard roof - you still have it.

·
Registered
10,219 Posts
Another roof question sticking with the thread: Anyone seeing the price come down on the transparent roof for the C7 now that the C8 is a reality? I still can't understand why it is a $999 option when bought from the factory, but the aftermarket sellers I've seen all have prices way over this. With the way they are getting stolen, especially in the South, I am not confident in going to ebay to get one. Anyone have any ideas of getting one in the $500 range? I'd like to have it as an option when I don't want to have my color matched roof on, but just don't think they are worth $1,000 and up.
The actual retail price is $1999. However, you can find it for less than that.

The $999 price is the $1999 price minus not getting your standard body-colored roof (which results in a $1000) discount.

·
Registered
451 Posts
There is a demand for the transparent roof! I had the transparent top and loved it because looking up at the sky while driving is very nice and serene. However, I switched most of the Carbon Flash on my car to Carbon Fiber and wanted a Carbon Fiber Top with the painted sides to complete my Carbon Fiber Edition C7. As a result, I sold my transparent top with storage bag for $1350 and bought Carbon Fiber top for $1200 so after $100 shipping I made $50.

To answer your question, a transparent top for $500 will never happen unless it is damaged or missing hardware because they are unique and in demand more so than the other tops but I have seen a few here and there for local pick up only for $800-$900. To ship a top is $150+ on average, I used a friend's shipping discount and shipped for $100.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts