Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is a '15 Z51 the shudder has been fixed (?) but today I was told the sensation could be the rotors. Really never tracked ,raced or abused and warped? Anybody ever seen this at this mileage and why would they? CORVETTES why do we put up with this????

·
Administrator
15,226 Posts
My car is a '15 Z51 the shudder has been fixed (?) but today I was told the sensation could be the rotors.
Your post is a bit confusing. Is your "shudder fixed" or do you still have some form of shudder?

·
Registered
3 Posts
My car is a '15 Z51 the shudder has been fixed (?) but today I was told the sensation could be the rotors. Really never tracked ,raced or abused and warped? Anybody ever seen this at this mileage and why would they? CORVETTES why do we put up with this????
Entirely possible the rotors warped due to improper torque being applied or being applied unevenly.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The shudder is fixed no symptoms but as I brake the front has a pulsing feeling the shudder shook the whole car at times. That doesn't happen anymore it's just the front it only happens at a reasonable stopping after highway speeds you know slowing down

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like if they were broken in unevenly why show up this late in the game. When balancing the tires? Anyway we're looking next week

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Like if they were broken in unevenly why show up this late in the game. When balancing the tires? Anyway we're looking next week
If your wheels were recently removed and balanced, then the people doing it didn't know what they were doing...

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have never, ever seen a rotor actually warp. There’s a great white paper on the Stoptech web site. What you are describing is usually uneven pad deposits on the rotors. My advice is use your brakes harder but that’s just my w.a.g.

·
Registered
370 Posts
rsvettez51 has a point. If you apply the brakes harder than usual, is the shaking still there? Warped rotors would make the front of the car shake no matter how hard the brakes are applied.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Again, in 40 years of racing and race engineering, I’ve never seen a rotor warp. (A Pringle is warped). In my experience, this is caused by people not using the brakes hard enough in normal driving, or overheating them and then stopping the car, letting the super hot pads sit on the super hot rotor.

before you spend a lot of money on new parts. Try bedding the pads as explaned in the manual. (see burnishing brake pads)

·
Registered
873 Posts
I’ve had both warped and deposits. The service tech mixed the rotors and they were out of spec. Also have had the deposit problem and yes a burnishing procedure solved the problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I purchased my 2014 Z51 as a 3rd owner In April. Car is very clean. However I did have a pulsing from the brakes. I put another 4,000 miles on the car and the pulsing just continued to get worse. I finally replaced the pads and and rotors. I purchased non dusting CarboTech pads and OE rotors. Parts alone are VERY expensive. The pads were $350. My brother in law purchased the 4 rotors at his dealer cost and they were still $625. It looks like the car might have been tracked by the previous owners As there was a lip at the edge of the rotors. if you have the installed you can probably count on an additional $1000+ for labor. I am handy and replaced everything myself. The pads are the easiest I’ve ever done on a car. The rotors are a different story as the front slotted rotors are torqued to 162 foot pounds. The backs to 89.
F45CF967-A151-4BDB-A3D0-9BE580A03A63.jpeg

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you have the two piece rotors they are known to warp, but I think they stop using them mid way through the 2014 model.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine warped after a couple of track days. I took them off and got them turned for $50 cash.Regardless of the reason, a turn will clean up the pulsing. They are still well above the minimum thickness. They work fine now. I did get a 250 ft-lb torque wrench to put them back on. I now have a separate set of higher quality rotors for track days.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Do you have the Z51 package? My 2014 is a Z51 and I was told that they couldn’t turn the Z51 slotted rotors. Given the cost of OE rotors, $600+, that would have been my first choice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you have the Z51 package? My 2014 is a Z51 and I was told that they couldn’t turn the Z51 slotted rotors. Given the cost of OE rotors, $600+, that would have been my first choice.
Mine is a 2015 Z51. I took the rotors to a local auto repair shop (not a chevy dealer) and they had no problem turning them. If you have to get new ones, there are less expensive and better options for replacements. Rockauto.com has OE one piece for about $93 ea. I bought the Powerstop track day rotors they are listing for $142/pair.

·
Administrator
15,226 Posts
Mine is a 2015 Z51. I took the rotors to a local auto repair shop (not a chevy dealer) and they had no problem turning them. If you have to get new ones, there are less expensive and better options for replacements. Rockauto.com has OE one piece for about $93 ea. I bought the Powerstop track day rotors they are listing for $142/pair.
Rockauto is one of our supporting vendors RockAuto section

1 - 18 of 18 Posts