Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sold here by RPI and other vendors, I received it today. I wanted it as I make a few trips a year out of town, don't want XPEL and don't like how the GM one mounts. So here's the good and bad:

the good:

I think it looks great. It mounts simply by replacing front wheel inner fender torx bolts and snapping it on. Stretch it across and pull it down over the front. Literally it has enuf stretch that it looks like it does not need bolt snaps underneath but comes with two that will do the job in place of the stock 7MM's there. Plenty of stretch even over the splitter. Then open the hood and loop it on the edges of the frame and you're done. All of a 20 min install and about a 60 sec on and off and off.

The bad: pretty minor, as suspected a curb alert will not work thru it, and the two snap bolts they supply for underneath are not long enuf to go thru the splitter and undercladding. Also the loops that go on the frame are rubbing under stress against a raw sheet metal edge so long term it could tear there, a little duct tape or some other cladding on the edge should keep it from abrading.

enjoy - I'm keeping it..Please no questions on if a rock will get thru, will it scratch the front or others as I don't know....

·
Registered
582 Posts
Thanks for posting install! ;)

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I saw the C6 version on a Z06 at the Museum. A group came in from Nevada and 2 had them. One of them had torn and come off partially at 80 mph so make sure you get that exposed edge covered. The one that was intact looked great and had eaten a lot of bugs.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
2020 C8 Z51
1,435 Posts
Thanks for the info. Had one for my C6 and it was great on longer trips. Looks like this fits as well.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Glen, thanks for the review!

·
Registered
320 Posts
I just got back in town last night and found it waiting for me. I'm getting this installed in time to drive to Bloomington Gold!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just put mine on this morning. It was a really easy install and it looks and works great. Put this on at my sons. He drove it home and I followed in his C6. We took it to speed, 90, and saw no flutter. I was afraid that at speed, if it fluttered, it would rub the paint finish. It looks like a great bug catcher. Look out love bugs here I come.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
black - but the unique real advantage of this bra is a narrow one; it's the only way to get protection for a splitter -even better than xpel which right now, is much more expensive and dubious if it's a perfect long lasting solution, as there is no xpel pattern yet for installers...

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I recently completed a 2000 mile trip using this product, and it worked great. Some observations:

- It gathers a lot of crap that would otherwise get into the condenser/radiator. Large bugs, feathers, and cotton wood (or something very similar) were the most common items caught.
- Even with significant gathered debris, there was still sufficient airflow to keep the engine at normal temperature, in 50 minutes of stop and go traffic, with ambient temps in excess of 90F and AC blasting.
- Washing the cover is easy, and was done at the end of both legs of the trip.
- No paint chips, scratches or abrasion (due to the cover) were detectable after two thorough washes (done at the end of both legs of the trip).

The cover held up well, offered good apparent protection, and has no visible damage after the trip.

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I recently completed a 2000 mile trip using this product, and it worked great. Some observation:

- It gathers alot of crap that would otherwise get into the condenser/radiator. Large bugs, feathers, and cotton wood were the most common items caught.
And this one is one advantage the xpel does not even have.....I hate picking crap out of my radiator and grill.

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,660 Posts
Fought with the bra on my '10 GS, just went with the Xpel on the C7 this time. Quite happy with it so far.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
200 mile thru the Everglades today, more stuff that the bra caught instead of clogging the radiator/grill:

at home, bra dusted off with microfiber and thrown in washer - hung dry, like new all ready for next time - front of car , including splitter, looks perfect....

·
Registered
392 Posts
I had these for my Camaro SS and ZL1.

I like them so much that I ordered them for my c7.

I just haven't had the time to install it yet.

·
Registered
320 Posts
These things are great! I bought mine from RPI Designs. I made a 6 hour (each way) 430 mile (each way) trip from Kansas City to Bloomington Gold. Mine looked like Glen's. It's amazing what this thing will keep from going into your radiator!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Footnote to my experience. I agree with Glen E.'s observations after a trip to Daytona beach and back I noticed a tear at the lower edge of the splitter. Unlike Glen I opted not to modify the lower screws as I had no time to do so prior to the trip and based on his suggestion (and my observation)pulling it over the Lashway splitter seemed to work just fine. This hole will spread if given the chance with the present tension coupled with wind impacts so......I will be taking it to an upholstery shop to sew in about an inch high border across the bottom as well as some material for where it mounts on bare metal under the hood. I will shoot pics for those interested. The challenge is that this is essentially a web and getting something sewn in might be too much of a challenge. Beyond that it performed well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Like OP- my curb alert does not work- I also tore a small hole under the splitter- Went to a camping store and purchased tent repair and some netting- will try a repair soon- It looks great and catches lots of stuff!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts