Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Black 2019 Z51 ... built a wee bit?
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, after many years of waiting, I'm finally the proud owner of a new Black 2019 Stingray. I'm a 55 year old retired firefighter. I've wanted a Corvette since well before I could drive. I've read that a lot of folks don't care for the run flats that come stock on the Vette. I plan on doing some engine/horsepower upgrades soon. Not intending for it to ever be a race car. I live in Georgia so I'll drive it year round but never in the rain..on purpose.
1. What's a good replacement tire?
2. For y'all that take off the run flats what do you do incase of a flat?
Thanks for the help. I'll post pics and engine build progress once I get started.

·
Administrator
15,882 Posts
You can find a number of recommendations for what members have used as tire replacements by using our Search Community function. I suggest you drive your new Stingray for a while before switching out the OEM run flats (just ensure that they are properly inflated per your door label- often they are delivered with incorrect pressure). Many of us actually like the OEM run flats- they are vastly improved over the older type run flat tires manufacturers used to use. These OEM tires were specifically designed for our Stingray and its suspension. You may find you like them.

Reactions: white_out

·
Registered
653 Posts
A small 12V compressor and TPMS safe sealant can fit in the rear cubby if you decide to go non runflat. I don't even bother with that. I have AAA for the winter months when I have the all season non runflat tires on the car. Then again, I'm not planning any big trips in the winter, and I could always uber home, put the summer wheels/tires in the truck and a jack, and go swap the wheels if I got a flat. Or, pick up the slime, and compressor from the garage, and go deal with it.

But I agree with Jeff, modern runflat tires are really good. They do get noisy, (are noisier in general). Everyone will caution you to use reasonable judgement when the temps drop below about 45F. The OE tires will not stick like it's a summer day. Yes, you can drive with them, and arrive safely, but if you act like a hoon, it could very well bite you.

Enjoy the car....

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
As Jsvette stated, there are a ton of recommendations for replacements of the original run flats. Personally I will stay with run flats and Michelin has an all season run flat that fits our C7's. I have had mine since 2016 and am in no rush to replace them until they have run down enough to need replacement at which time I will go to the all seasons. There is really nothing wrong with the OEM tires, especially since you are in GA and don't get the severe cold weather conditions we get here in PA. That is when you really need to be careful driving on the OEM's.

29 years and still going in the fire service for me.

Reactions: jsvette

·
Registered
227 Posts
28 years in the Fire Service. Congratulations on your retirement, your waited for purchase, and for sure your color choice.?. In keeping with most of the other responses to you question, I too would suggest sticking with the OEM run flats until it is time to replace them. Then there are a bunch of choices out there, depending on what it is you primarily do with the car. If you only street drive and are looking for ride, noise and price improvements, even Michelin makes non-run flat tires for your car. However, with non-run flats in direct size replacements, you give up some handling benefits, you loose with less sidewall rigidity, and certainly the “run flat” peace of mind. JMHO.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I replaced mine with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 run-flats. No more tire chatter when cold and turning, good all weather, and year round driving here in SC. Hope this helps with your decision.
chris

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Most poor run flat comments are from earlier generations. The Goodyear run flats on the C5 and C6 were terrible. The Michelin C7 run flats are much better. If you drive in any cold weather (sub 50 degree), you'll like the Michelin A/S 3 ZP+ run flats. On my C5 and C6 I went with non run flats when I needed new tires. With the Michelins, I felt no need to go with non run flats.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome to the Corvette family and the retirement club, 1 year last month for me 27 years. Like everyone is saying this generation of run flats is pretty good. I've had C5 and C6 and I moved up to a 2019 Grandsport in August and they are much better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
FF for 37yrs in Cali. Now retired. I have had 11 vets and stayed with stock tires. Now driving a 16 Z06 on second set of tires. C 8 on order?

·
Administrator
15,882 Posts
Welcome to our forum Fireguy with your first post, and congrats on your Vette collection.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
FF for 37yrs in Cali. Now retired. I have had 11 vets and stayed with stock tires. Now driving a 16 Z06 on second set of tires. C 8 on order?
Welcome to the forum Fireguy. 29yrs for me and still going. You have had many more vettes since I've only had and still have 2. What are your specs for the C8? I thought many of the Z06 owners would wait until that variant is out for the C8.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thank you I find this forum very interesting
Welcome to the forum Fireguy. 29yrs for me and still going. You have had many more vettes since I've only had and still have 2. What are your specs for the C8? I thought many of the Z06 owners would wait until that variant is out for the C8.
I had a 14 before my 16 ZO6 I'm going to get this new one and as soon as the ZO6 comes out I'll get another one

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hi everyone, after many years of waiting, I'm finally the proud owner of a new Black 2019 Stingray. I'm a 55 year old retired firefighter. I've wanted a Corvette since well before I could drive. I've read that a lot of folks don't care for the run flats that come stock on the Vette. I plan on doing some engine/horsepower upgrades soon. Not intending for it to ever be a race car. I live in Georgia so I'll drive it year round but never in the rain..on purpose.
My previous car had zero pressure (ZP) tires, and twice I had complete tire failures due to road hazards. The first was a hunk of iron through the center of the tread as I was driving on a freeway through an industrial area. The ability to continue on and not have to pull over to the shoulder probably increased my life expectancy. My most recent application was with my 2017 GS driving through AZ at night. Ran out of air pressure about 20 miles from my hotel. Got there just fine and was able to drive the interstate 60 miles to the closest Discount Tire store. Never once had to park on the side of the road. By the way, not all roads have full-width shoulders.

The Michelin Pilot Super Sports that came on my car are fine on the street, but give up some in cooler weather. (In this part of Texas, we call 40° cold). They can also be chancy in heavy rain, if water puddles exceed the depth of your tread. However, on the track, they are amazing! If you never put your car on a race track, all season tires would probably do fine for you, but for me, I will always pay the premium for ZP tires.

·
Registered
30 Posts
1. What's a good replacement tire?
2. For y'all that take off the run flats what do you do incase of a flat?
Thanks for the help. I'll post pics and engine build progress once I get started.
Congratulations!
Run flats are definitely louder, harder, and the summer tires are dangerous under 40 degrees. I will be changing my Z51 tires to the Michelin A/S3 Plus. Great reviews from owners.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts