Stingray Corvette Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have past experience with repairing the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tire after picking up a flat head screw in the tread? Called several tire dealers as well as two Chevrolet dealers and got 50% saying couldn't plug it and needed to replace the tire and 50% saying it can be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Me personally, I would plug it. Worst case you still have to replace it, best case it works fine. That said, if you plan to do any high speed or track driving then I would replace it. For normal around town driving I would try plugging it first.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Dealers are told usually to tell the public they need a new tire. Not because it's a scam but the safe answer is a new tire. That being said, most experts will tell you for DD driving, run flats can be plugged no problem.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Plugs are a huge no no, they do more harm than good. If the puncture hasn't broken the steel belts or caused a deformation of the inside of the carcass it can be safely patched form the inside. No dealer or store can tell you over the phone whether it's reparable, they need to see the damage first hand.

Find a local Discount Tire store, they have a lot of experience in high performance tires and the right equipment to safely patch your tire if the carcass isn't damaged.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I've already had a local tire shop patch one tire due to picking up a nail in my travels. No discussion, no problem..

Reactions: The Rock

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Let's define our terms here. There is an external plug that can be applied with the tire mounted. There is a "mushroom plug" which requires the tire to be removed from the wheel and the "mushroom's stem" acts as a plug and the "mushroom's head" acts as a patch. Also there is the traditional interior patch. I believe it is typical for the "speed" rating of the tire to be reduced one level following an interior patch of any sort.

·
Registered
2020 C8 Z51
1,432 Posts
Let's define our terms here. There is an external plug that can be applied with the tire mounted. There is a "mushroom plug" which requires the tire to be removed from the wheel and the "mushroom's stem" acts as a plug and the "mushroom's head" acts as a patch. Also there is the traditional interior patch. I believe it is typical for the "speed" rating of the tire to be reduced one level following an interior patch of any sort.
I agree.
I had “mushroom plugs” as you called them installed in my Goodyear’s in my ’08. That was by the Goodyear dealer who was authorized to repair run flats. As mentioned, these are a combo thin plug with an inside patch. The Goodyear rule was the puncture could not be in the outer tread block (that is a rather large area.) The Goodyear dealer went out of business when I had the next flat caused by a nail. The local Firestone dealer(where a friend had tires mounted on his Vette) said they were not allowed to repair run flats. They did tell me to try a small local tire shop. That shop did not want to mess with demounting the run flats. After I saw their equipment, I would not have used them if they said they would! Bought all new tires, was about due.
The key, in my opinion, is to be sure they can mount a low profile run flat tires on a large diameter rim. They should have equipment that does not damage the rim. At best it is not easy. Then the “mushroom patch” should work fine. I believe they reduce the top speed rating so if you plan to go 150 mph-buy new tires!

·
Registered
126 Posts
ok to add to this here are my two sense. Take it to discount tires and get the warranty on your tires for $190 which will cover all your tires and if you need your tires replaced it won't cost you anything more sense you have all your tires covered. As soon as i get my car in the next 3 days im going straight there and doing this because if my tire gets a nail in it or something goes through the side wall im not wanting to have to pay a bunch of money for a tire.

·
Registered
810 Posts
or something goes through the side wall im not wanting to have to pay a bunch of money for a tire.
Had a roofing nail go through just past the tread portion and into the sidewall. New tire junked. Not a high perf. tire luckily. I'm thinking about getting the warranty too. Covers road hazards?

·
Registered
147 Posts
A puncture to the sidewall means you need a new tire. Sidewalls can't be plugged or patched from inside.
Run flats should be patched from inside. Most shops charge $25 to $75 for this kind of repair. I called around just to get prices and found my local Goodyear dealer charged the most, $75. The $25 charge was from a local tire shop that has the equipment to handle run flats and a tech who knows how to use it. If I should ever get a puncture I'll be having the tire patched from inside. :)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
FYI, Michelin's website has information on repairing run flats. It can be done in certain circumstances but not, as noted above, if the puncture in in or very near a sidewall. --Bob

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just be sure if you replace a tire that the dealer puts the right replacement on. Had a Chevy dealer replace a front tire due to nail to close to edge. Replacement tire was same series and size but not same load rating and not marked ZP. Michelin tech said not recommended for 2014 Corvette. On quick look was same but the details , 97y vs 93y, and lack of zero pressure designation were the difference.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Tire Rack - Tire Tech - Run Flat Tire Repair

Tire Manufacturer’s Policies for Run-Flat Tire Repair

The following list summarizes tire manufacturers’ repair policies, however it should be noted that every tire manufacturer that consents to repair, does so only after the punctured tire has passed a thorough exterior and interior examination.

Manufacturer/Brand .....Repair Policy.......Additional Provisions
BFGoodrich...................Permitted............1 repair maximum
Bridgestone..................Permitted.........Only if 15 psi maintained
Continental.........Does not recommend...Mfg. Road Hazard Program*
Dunlop.........................Permitted
Firestone.....................Permitted...........Only if 15 psi maintained
Goodyear.....................Permitted
Kumho.........................Permitted
Michelin.......................Permitted..............1 repair maximum
Pirelli........................Not endorsed........Mfg. Road Hazard Program**
Yokohama..............Not to be repaired....Mfg. Road Hazard Program***

*Replaced free of charge first year or first 2/32” of wear (whichever comes first). Continental advises that a repair to one of its tires invalidates all other manufacturer’s warranties.
**Replaced free of charge first year or first 2/32” of wear (whichever comes first), then prorated until worn to 2/32” of remaining tread depth
***5-year prorated replacement until worn to 2/32” of remaining tread depth if punctured in RMA defined repairable area

Most run-flat tires make a promise of temporary extended mobility at up to 50 miles per hour speeds for up to 50-mile distances in the event a puncture allows complete air pressure loss. However even if driven within their speed and distance limitations, driving on run-flat tires with low or no air pressure can permanently damage their internal structure, surrendering strength and durability.

Tire Rack will not repair any run-flat tires that have been driven in a severely underinflated or zero pressure condition because the service conditions they experienced and integrity of their internal structural cannot be confirmed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Today GM dealer informed me that he could not replace wrong tire because the proper tire is out of stock in GM system. Will get from another dealer in northeast Monday. I ask to get directly from corvette plant supplies and ship overnight with me paying for special handling. Apparently GM will not release plant supplies. More interested in building new cars than taking care of us? Sounds like government motors is alive and well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Picked up a nail in the tread of my PS2 run flat in the middle of a road trip. Took it to Discount and was in/out in 20 minutes with an internal repair. Have put 5k relatively hard miles on it since then with no ill effects. FWIW.

·
Registered
456 Posts
uuuggghhhh....got a nail in center of rear tire today. For some reason this pisses me off more than in the past since the car is SO new. :mad:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Plugs are a huge no no, they do more harm than good. If the puncture hasn't broken the steel belts or caused a deformation of the inside of the carcass it can be safely patched form the inside. No dealer or store can tell you over the phone whether it's reparable, they need to see the damage first hand.

Find a local Discount Tire store, they have a lot of experience in high performance tires and the right equipment to safely patch your tire if the carcass isn't damaged.
never did this myself, but have also seen other places that it needs to be done from the "inside"--whatever technique that implies, versus the "outside". mjw seems to make sense.

·
Registered
922 Posts
$65,000.00+ StingRay. $400.00 tire. You do the math risk.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
456 Posts
Michelin says you can fix their run flats once. I'm going to believe them. I've always plugged my runflats myself, say 5 times since my C5.....which was indeed a riskier cheap way out. This time I'm taking it in for the interior plug/patch so that it is done right. Doing it right now actually. Heading to a store with a "touchless" Hunter machine. We'll see how that goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
262 Posts
Owned a tire store. Avoid plugging your tire.
Break the tire down and patch the inside. While
tire is broken down wheel can be inspected
for corrosion. BTW C7 tires don't have air
they have nitrogen. Had a run flat patched on
my C6 no problem.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.