Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have above captioned--at least i think thats what they are. as you look into the wheel, the entire flat metal surface is rusty, where the brake caliper compresses on the brake, and it denigrates the cool look of the car, to say the least. is there a trick to stop that? i would have thought that the rust would rub off when the brakes were applied, but it doesnt. i know, totally newbee question.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Assume you are talking about the area of the brake rotor which is not touched by the pads. You can paint that with some high temp paint

·
Registered
32 Posts
I do believe he is talking about the wear surface of the rotors.

My answer to you is drive the car more, that rust will immediately be knocked off by the brake pads. After a run around the bloke they will be nice and shiny again.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
There are products available like Rustopper, but I don't use them.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do believe he is talking about the wear surface of the rotors.

My answer to you is drive the car more, that rust will immediately be knocked off by the brake pads. After a run around the bloke they will be nice and shiny again.
yea, its the rotor (or looks like they call it disc, as well). should have done more research before bothering you guys. so, i just need to drive around the block a few times and it should come off? i ll give it a try, but although i dont drive a lot, i should drive enough to keep that off....thanks.

·
Registered
755 Posts
The answer is in what all the others have told you and you will see that the issue is very repetitive and will reappear each time you wash the car. Just drag the brakes by resting your foot on the brake pedal for a block or two after a wash and it will all dissappear. This will heat up and dry out the rotors and make them look all pretty. You do wash inside the wheels right? The calipers and wheels need your loving attention as well as the outside of the car. Minimum washing to avoid warrantee issues is twice a week, or more if needed. Don't forget.

STUNG:cool:

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
i have above captioned--at least i think thats what they are. as you look into the wheel, the entire flat metal surface is rusty, where the brake caliper compresses on the brake, and it denigrates the cool look of the car, to say the least. is there a trick to stop that? i would have thought that the rust would rub off when the brakes were applied, but it doesnt. i know, totally newbee question.
theofuss, also your brakes may squeal a little when you drive it in the morning. When I back out of my driveway in the morning heading to work they squeal a little, this is also normal it goes away when I drive down the road. What you have on your rotor surface is a light coat of rust that forms after they get hot and you park your C7, moisture on the rotor will rust in a heartbeat. Don't worry about asking questions, we all ask questions!

SF
Rick

·
Registered
94 Posts
yea, its the rotor (or looks like they call it disc, as well). should have done more research before bothering you guys. so, i just need to drive around the block a few times and it should come off? i ll give it a try, but although i dont drive a lot, i should drive enough to keep that off....thanks.
That should do the trick. Mine look rusty after we've washed it, but rust is gone as soon as we take it around the block.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:confused: And what do you base this part of your response on? The advice was good before this statement.
i took that part of the response as a joke (and it actually made me laugh-- not rotfl level but slight lol level). clearly, if there were a requirement it would have been once per day, whether driven on not, minimum.

personal note: i have washed my car 3-4 times since i took delivery--end of february. thats probably of a record of some type, but i have the CG, and it looks clean to me. (did run the hose over it a few times, when it got dusty)

·
Registered
2020 C8 Z51
1,435 Posts
See you kept the same moniker from another Vette forum! That was many months ago. Doubt if anyone else would use it!
Have to speculate this may be the first time you washed your own car or washed it and parked it as I often do.
That surface rust has occurred on disk brake rotors since they were introduced many years ago! If you use a car wash you’ll not see it as you drive the car away before it rusts! It is wiped clean in a few blocks when driving.
No worry.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Your question made me laugh. Is this your first car?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts