Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 C7 has about 11,000 miles on it and is seldom out in wet weather. In spite of that, I just discovered that the nut that holds the left hand (door side) driver's seat track in place is severely corroded (see pic 1) The stud seems to be fine (i.e., rust free). The right side (see pic 2) and both of the passenger side nuts and studs also look fine.
Rusty seat mounting nut.jpg Drivers seat track mounting.jpg

It seems likely to me that GM may have gotten a bad batch of nuts. My dealer tells me he is not aware of any bulletin about a problem, and that he sees almost no demand for replacements.

Has anyone experienced or are aware of a problem with seat attachment mounting nuts rusting or is this a one of a kind occurrence??

·
Registered
834 Posts
Could you have possibly spilled some liquid in that area? If so, it would pool into that recessed area when the nut is.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I've never seen anyone else post this problem on two different Corvette related forums.

I agree with joemessman - it looks like at some point there was some liquid spilled there (ever put a wet umbrella behind the seat?).

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I bet we are all going to look. I am!
Yep, mine are rust free!

OP can use the same product I jut used on my 3 month old Grand Sport Exhaust! 10 minute job. All C7's have the issue.
This is a PDF of my simple DIY effort using Rust Reformer: http://netwelding.com/Muffler_Rust.pdf

Rusted_Muffler C7.jpg
Before Bottom: After Top

Attachments

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Eskimo, are you the original owner? If so you would know if anything had been spilled in that area.

SF
Rick

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies, and thoughts.

I got the car 3 years ago with about 3,000 miles on it, so I can't say for sure it was never exposed to moisture. However, I have thoroughly cleaned the car's interior several times over the last 3 years and this was the first time I noticed this corrosion. I KNOW it has not been exposed to water during the last 3 years. I also think it is odd that the stud that the bolt is mounted to appears to be rust-free. That is why I figured there MIGHT have been a problem with a bad batch of nuts (rather than water in the area, which if it was corrosive enough to attack the nut probably would have attacked the stud as well).

It looks like it isn't a common problem. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Thanks for the replies, and thoughts.

I got the car 3 years ago with about 3,000 miles on it, so I can't say for sure it was never exposed to moisture. However, I have thoroughly cleaned the car's interior several times over the last 3 years and this was the first time I noticed this corrosion. I KNOW it has not been exposed to water during the last 3 years. I also think it is odd that the stud that the bolt is mounted to appears to be rust-free. That is why I figured there MIGHT have been a problem with a bad batch of nuts (rather than water in the area, which if it was corrosive enough to attack the nut probably would have attacked the stud as well).

It looks like it isn't a common problem. Thanks again.
Could be right, whatever the protective coating was supposed to be on the nut may have been missing. Considering it's holding the seat it may been more than the often used zinc plating. The stud may be cadmium plated as that is sometimes used.

Agree one rusting when the other isn't points to the material or finish. Rust Reformer will work to turn the iron oxide a blue black!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just finished the conversion of my 2015 (purchased new) standard seats to the competition type. There was no rust on the nuts holding either seat.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Maybe it was exposed to water before you got it and the damage is just now showing up. Hope this is the only area you are seeing evidence of corrosion in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for keeping this in mind and for letting me know your findings. All clues seem to point to some moisture in the area in my car before I got it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep. This is the only area. It appears that you are probably correct. I have no way of knowing for sure.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Eskimo, did you replace the bolt?

SF
Rick

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No. I did replace the nut but the bolt looked fine, so I did not change it. The new nut is still good as new.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
10 Participants
Eskimo
Stingray Corvette Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to the 7th Gen Corvette Stingray. Come join the discussion on performance modifications, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing