Stingray Corvette Forum banner

41 - 41 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I think you misunderstood #3...with any language, it happens. Let me try to clarify.

The LT4 dry sump improvements have tried to reduce or eliminate oil "burping". But, it's unproven at this point. So, it is recommended that users install the RX oil tank cap, just in case. Right?
Absolutely. The improvements will certainly have improved and reduced the burping IMHO, they did a great job, but these engines are direct injection now and unlike the port injection LS engines of the C5 & C6 that could tolerate a small amount of oil ingestion, no DI engine can without suffering the coking issues all DI engines experience. Elite Engineering also has a excellent cleanside separator. What you want to do is address any open route to the air intake assy that oil laden vapors my travel to when crankcase pressure builds, and that is any time your going to be over 2/3rds throttle or so. If you look at a aftermarket dry-sump system like used wirth many race applications, they consist of modules of both oil pumps and vacuum pumps that are belt driven off the crankshaft. These always pull vacuum on the crankcase so back-flow, or lack of evacuation never occurs no matter what operating level of the engine. This also helps ring seal as well as reduces the windage a piston fights on the down-stroke, adding to power and oil control as well as reducing blow-by. We use a low tension ring set in our race motors as all run vacuum pumps that are belt driven.

But, the dry sumps on production cars only circulate the engine oil and do not have a vacuum module.

41 - 41 of 41 Posts