Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I just installed the Rev Xtreme dual valve catch can and Clean side separator tonight and found out the hard way that the separator doesn't clear the hood. I'm thinking mine is out of spec, but did any other separator installers have this issue? I have some scratches under my hood and on the separator now and have uninstalled it. I've shot out an email to RevX, but I'm curious to see if anyone else ran into this.

We even raised the hood latch to try and give it some extra room but to no avail. I figured I'd reach out to see if there's anything I'm missing.

This is the part I'm referring to. It replaces the oil fill cap.

unnamed.jpg

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey All,

I just installed the Rev Xtreme dual valve catch can and Clean side separator tonight and found out the hard way that the separator doesn't clear the hood. I'm thinking mine is out of spec, but did any other separator installers have this issue? I have some scratches under my hood and on the separator now and have uninstalled it. I've shot out an email to RevX, but I'm curious to see if anyone else ran into this.

We even raised the hood latch to try and give it some extra room but to no avail. I figured I'd reach out to see if there's anything I'm missing.

This is the part I'm referring to. It replaces the oil fill cap.

View attachment 10984
In have the elite engineering clean side separator, which is exactly the same as this and mine fits just fine.

The barb that the hose hooks to screws off, so take that off and make sure you've screwed the separator all the way down. Afterwards turn the separator clockwise until you can put the barb back on and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Mine fits fine but yours looks a little taller than I remember. You might want to check the part number with RX to be sure you received the correct cap.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In have the elite engineering clean side separator, which is exactly the same as this and mine fits just fine.

The barb that the hose hooks to screws off, so take that off and make sure you've screwed the separator all the way down. Afterwards turn the separator clockwise until you can put the barb back on and you should be good to go.
It's definitely screw down. We tried it about 25 times between 2 people.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If it's verified to be the right part, I'd get out the dremel and make it work.....
I would not do this!

I have the exact same RX separator, except mine is black and mine fits fine. This is the new design separator from RX, so I would call them (941-721-1826) and talk to either Tracy or Mike about the issue. I installed mine about two weeks ago and it was easier than I thought. But, by all means, do not modify this part. Return it for a replacement or get installation guidance from them. These guys are not difficult to work with.

Just my opinion!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would not do this!

I have the exact same RX separator, except mine is black and mine fits fine. This is the new design separator from RX, so I would call them (941-721-1826) and talk to either Tracy or Mike about the issue. I installed mine about two weeks ago and it was easier than I thought. But, by all means, do not modify this part. Return it for a replacement or get installation guidance from them. These guys are not difficult to work with.

Just my opinion!
Thanks - I currently have an email and call out to them. I'm just frustrated that it scratched up my under hood (albeit where no one will ever see it)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks - I currently have an email and call out to them. I'm just frustrated that it scratched up my under hood (albeit where no one will ever see it)
Joshg, something just occurred to me. This separator functions a little different than I thought when I ordered it. I thought the whole separator unscrewed from the sump to service the tank. But it doesn't. On the bottom of the separator there is a black plastic piece that screws into the opening on the dry sump. Once installed the top portion of the separator pulls out (straight up) of the plastic piece for adding oil to the tank. When I first got mine, the top part of the separator was very difficult to remove from the plastic piece. The top part of the separator has a tube that comes out of the bottom with an O ring that seals the top with the center opening of the plastic piece that you screw into the sump tank. Could it be possible that your separator is not fully inserted into the plastic piece and therefore a little taller than it should be? Just trying to eliminate this as a possible problem.

Rich

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone. I've communicated with Tracy at Rev Xtreme and he's sending me one that's 1/4" lower in profile. Really great customer support. Will update when I can receive it and get it installed. I can probably take some measurements to share with the group as well.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I've always wondered why my separator wouldn't seat properly and the hose contacted the bracket on the reservoir. So I just went down and pulled the black screw bottom piece off. Screwed it into the oil reservoir and pushed the separator back on and now it all fits correctly. It does now sit lower on the reservoir.
RX2.JPG
RX1.JPG

Reactions: CK_Bladesmith

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've always wondered why my separator wouldn't seat properly and the hose contacted the bracket on the reservoir. So I just went down and pulled the black screw bottom piece off. Screwed it into the oil reservoir and pushed the separator back on and now it all fits correctly. It does now sit lower on the reservoir.
View attachment 11001
View attachment 11000
I can't say for sure until I get home and look again, but yours definitely looks lower. My cap was definitely secure, as it only needs a half turn to be maxed out, like the original fill cap. I never too the top off though.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I can't say for sure until I get home and look again, but yours definitely looks lower. My cap was definitely secure, as it only needs a half turn to be maxed out, like the original fill cap. I never too the top off though.
I also noticed that it the separator was just touching the hood. There was a 1/4" mark on the separator and the hood.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I also noticed that it the separator was just touching the hood. There was a 1/4" mark on the separator and the hood.
Yeah, with our attempts it did marr up the cap and under the hood a bit, though it's not super noticeable. how hard is it to close your hood? using considerable force I was able to get it to latch once, but it's far more than you normally would or should use for normal operation. I'm thinking any contact shouldn't happen, especially for a $100 dollar cap.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Yeah, with our attempts it did marr up the cap and under the hood a bit, though it's not super noticeable. how hard is it to close your hood? using considerable force I was able to get it to latch once, but it's far more than you normally would or should use for normal operation. I'm thinking any contact shouldn't happen, especially for a $100 dollar cap.
I just give the hood a slight downward motion and it closes itself easily.

·
Banned
631 Posts
We had a batch of O rings come in (the large one that seals the man billet portion to the lower billet portion) and after the email we found when we inspected these that was the issue. It does no allow the top portion to screw all they way to the end of the threads and holds it up app. 1/8" plus. Corrected now. But the clearance is still tight. We do not want to make them any smaller or effectiveness will suffer. Thanks!!!

Alnd still FREE installation if you can come to us, and FREE S&H for StingrayForum members!!

Also, WeaponX carry's these as well if they are your favorite vendor contact them as well.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We had a batch of O rings come in (the large one that seals the man billet portion to the lower billet portion) and after the email we found when we inspected these that was the issue. It does no allow the top portion to screw all they way to the end of the threads and holds it up app. 1/8" plus. Corrected now. But the clearance is still tight. We do not want to make them any smaller or effectiveness will suffer. Thanks!!!

Alnd still FREE installation if you can come to us, and FREE S&H for StingrayForum members!!

Also, WeaponX carry's these as well if they are your favorite vendor contact them as well.

Tracy over-nighted me the replacement part which now fits great. Great customer service on behalf of Rev Xtreme. Car is now running great! the new part does sit about 1/8" lower than the previous cap.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts