Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else experiencing this?

My satellite radio doesn't work when first using the car from an enclosed garage. I switch to regular radio, and that works fine, but no sound from XM. The screen shows what song is playing, and when I turn the volume knob, the display shows the sound volume bar increasing; just no sound. When I turn the channel selector to channel 0, and then back to the desired channel, sound comes on.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Does it work when you're outside? If so I would venture a guess that the enclosed garage is attenuating the Satellite signal such that it won't work in your garage. If you have a smartphone with a Nav program on it try it and see if it works. The GPS is satellite based. You'll probably find it won't work either. Satellite comm works well when the ground based devices have a clear view of the sky.

·
Registered
62 Posts

My satellite radio doesn't work when first using the car from an enclosed garage. I switch to regular radio, and that works fine, but no sound from XM. The screen shows what song is playing, and when I turn the volume knob, the display shows the sound volume bar increasing; just no sound. When I turn the channel selector to channel 0, and then back to the desired channel, sound comes on.
Same thing happens to me. It's happened with any vehicle I've had with XM/Satellite radio. There's nothing wrong with your radio, it's just the signal being blocked while in your garage.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To clarify, it's happening outside the garage, in the open, with no blocking buildings, trees, or other obstructions.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have the same issue. The XM/Satellite radio comes on after four or five minutes of leaving the garage. In the garage it also has a red X on the GPS when I start the car. However, when I drive into the garage it works fine. It does not make any since.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
However, when I drive into the garage it works fine. It does not make any since.
I believe XM buffers the music and will play for a short time after the antenna is blocked.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

Reactions: Jims-c7

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yep! Both my Caddi and C-7 have had this happen. The screen on the Caddi says "blocked signal". I think I will do some research on this issue. Maybe someone has the right answer. Might be the buffering system as well.

Cyber Grey, Born Oct. 29, 2LT, Nav, Auto, Z51 Spoiler. Used Xpel Bra.

·
Registered
59 Posts
On way home I pass a large stand of tall trees, signal is lost until I clear trees.

This is standard as antenna has to have a direct line of sight to satellite.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

·
Registered
132 Posts
I remember years ago when I had XM radio. You would be driving along and then hit an underpass and would have to wait till you exited.
Talk about a brief intermission of a great song playing or even a comedy skit. Lol

·
Registered
34 Posts
Satellite communication can be blocked by being inside a structure, an overpass, large trees, etc. It requires a clear view of the sky to work reliably. If you have dish or direct they mount your antenna with a clear view of the sky so you can pick up signal. Everything works fine until you have a thunderstorm and there goes your tv reception. That's also why your gps is out of service. Much different transmission medium than ground based FM transmitters.

·
Registered
37 Posts
FYI if you rember back in the day the Sat dishes were 10-12 feet in diameter this is because the signals from the "birds" were low power and it needed to have tat big of dish to Maximize the signal to the LNA (low noise amp) in the middle of the dish....then came direct TV, signals got much more stronger and the dishes got smaller, XM/Sirius uses the same principal with a stronger signal but do to it's high power it needs a constant signal or exposure to the sky. These systems use terrestrial repeaters on cell towers to hit tunnels ect fot brief periods only

·
Registered
37 Posts

If I have satellite radio on when I drive into the garage, the next time that I take the car out , the volume will not work for sat radio.
The regular radio is fine. After I cut off the engine and start it up, the sat radio works fine. I have learned to switch to regular radio before driving into the garage and changing to sat radio after pulling out of the garage. Weird, I know.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
273 Posts
I am not seeing this issue with my Satellite Radio. Signal does drop in garage, but resumes without a problem when out of garage. I have had Sirius for 9-10 years and all my vehicles do this, some less than others depending on antenna placement on vehicle. Satellites are generally in Southern sky, but even a South facing window will usually be sufficient for signal access.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

1 - 14 of 14 Posts