Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi Jake,
They look great, where did you get them from? How easy were they to install?
Thanks for the info!
Bill

·
Registered
144 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Second on drilling holes. Did you drill holes for the skirts or use 3M tape? I'm thinking of getting a set for myself as well.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I will never drill holes when tape will work. The common myth is tape is weak, INSTALLED RIGHT, nothing could be further from the truth. A full length piece if 3M very high bond trim tape will hold for years , and if not taken off the right way, will damage the parts if you try to pry it off. Rather than having just 3 screw points that can loosen, rust and gather dirt, tape seals the joint as well as holds it.

Choose the right procedure for the job.....my skirt is full length tape.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Glen which type of tape would you recommend for the skirts? 3M VHB?

I will never drill holes when tape will work. The common myth is tape is weak, INSTALLED RIGHT, nothing could be further from the truth. A full length piece if 3M very high bond trim tape will hold for years , and if not taken off the right way, will damage the parts if you try to pry it off. Rather than having just 3 screw points that can loosen, rust and gather dirt, tape seals the joint as well as holds it.

Choose the right procedure for the job.....my skirt is full length tape.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
It's why I wrote this

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/stingray-build-section/4185-6-things-make-modding-easier.html

The trick with tape is the surfaces have to be absolutely 100 % clean and the protective pull off not pulled until you are going to join the surfaces, pull slowly as you stick- dawn dish wash the underside of the car, then alcohol scrub the surface again, alcohol wash the skirt, join screws at both end then start sticking and work down the side pulling the red tape....

·
Registered
419 Posts
Thanks glen, my only concern is how long the tape will last but I guess it doesn't hurt to give it a try. How long have you been using 3M VHB tape if you don't mind me asking?

It's why I wrote this

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/stingray-build-section/4185-6-things-make-modding-easier.html

The trick with tape is the surfaces have to be absolutely 100 % clean and the protective pull off not pulled until you are going to join the surfaces, pull slowly as you stick- dawn dish wash the underside of the car, then alcohol scrub the surface again, alcohol wash the skirt, join screws at both end then start sticking and work down the side pulling the red tape....

·
Registered
419 Posts
Sounds good. How much tape did you need for the skirts?

About 10 years in auto and marine applications.....this is not something new, how long do badges stay on cars?

·
Registered
5,453 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ok thanks. Just wasn't sure if the 450 in. kit was enough for both skirts.
450" is 37.50', that should be enough, I would think. Do we adhere 2 lengths on each skirt?

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
one complete long strip is enuf to hang off of if you want...if the connection is good...

you have to remember with a skirt you are not asking for the tape to hold up the weight of the skirt - 5 screws that are already there in the front and two in the back hold it there. You are just asking the tape to control the "SAG: in the middle - a weight much smaller than the whole skirt...

HOWEVER, there is one disadvantage to tape, screws are gonna allow the skirt to come off easier if it's damaged.....or needs a repaint.

5 years ago we hung a 40lb ship to shore SSB radio on the inner roof of a 57 Viking flybridge....it is still there today....

·
Registered
144 Posts
one complete long strip is enuf to hang off of if you want...if the connection is good...

you have to remember with a skirt you are not asking for the tape to hold up the weight of the skirt - 5 screws that are already there in the front and two in the back hold it there. You are just asking the tape to control the "SAG: in the middle - a weight much smaller than the whole skirt...

HOWEVER, there is one disadvantage to tape, screws are gonna allow the skirt to come off easier if it's damaged.....or needs a repaint.

5 years ago we hung a 40lb ship to shore SSB radio on the inner roof of a 57 Viking flybridge....it is still there today....
Hey Glen,
Doesn't it need to be attached on both the horizontal & vertical surface? They suggest drilling on both surfaces, if I remember right. (Let me go ck..................) OK, it may not be vertical, but it is at another angle, if I see it right?

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Dunno, I'm talking in the middle long section is where my Lashway installed....it's all tape in the middle...where ever it mates two surfaces, use common sense....

·
Registered
144 Posts
Dunno, I'm talking in the middle long section is where my Lashway installed....it's all tape in the middle...where ever it mates two surfaces, use common sense....
of course, I just forgot my common sense and I'm 3 hrs. later than you here in NC.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sorry, got you mixed up with Rodney and we have been going back and forth. :eek:

btw Lived it Ft Laud in my Wilder days and then settled in Delray Beach for 35 yrs..........................

and 4 in So Cal in even my more Wilder days! (-1 for Nam)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts