Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at just under 10k miles now loving every minute of it, well, except for the tire's affinity for collecting screws. I'm now at 3 different tires (RF, LR, RR) with 1 screw each. Guess I can look forward to getting screwed again in the left front one day soon.

Just had to vent….

Reactions: Rocky

·
Registered
219 Posts
Bummer. I lost my virginity at about 1200 miles (LR). I'm now at about 3100 and still only been screwed once. :p

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Stop driving into construction zones :confused:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Were the tire a total loss or could they be repaired. Lucky enough to never have this issue on my prior C6 or the current C7 after 3000 miles. Geo

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,693 Posts
Drove the '01 for five years, had 5 or so "flats", had the '10 for four years, not one. Go figure.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Only one screw in 3200 miles (so far).
Given Houston's roads and construction
I may be lucky. These tires are sticky.
Remember this going to Discount they
will really want to sell you a replacement
tire and assume tire is not repairable
before really looking at it. Just beware.
Geo Vette

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Les Schwab did the repair for free. Screw was dead center in the tread. Ready to drive once again.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Bummer. I lost my virginity at about 1200 miles (LR). I'm now at about 3100 and still only been screwed once. :p
Got mine popped at around 7500 miles. Bolt in the rear!

·
Registered
677 Posts
I've been screwed at 1500 miles. Great :(

Nice Philips screw in Left front tire. Holding pressure perfectly so far though. Too much construction in Texas...

Any chance I should just pull this out and hope it didn't actually puncture the tire? :)

ImageUploadedByCorvette Stingray Forum1449097780.713425.jpg

·
Registered
155 Posts
Well I just had to spend 525.00 for a rear tire with a small wire in tire. Would not repair it and had to look all over town to find someone willing to try and change out rear tire on my Z06 then another 65.00 for just breaking tire down that took all day. What a wonderful day I had also so don't feel bad I got the screw also. Oh almost forgot only 700 miles on mine.

·
Registered
345 Posts
It wasn't good for me either. At 4500 miles, had a 1/4 inch bolt in the RR. FYI, if you own a Stingray in Hawaii, buy jacking pucks. Try getting one lifted here without them. Since we're on the subject, which pucks does anyone recommend?? Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
16,510 Posts
It wasn't good for me either. At 4500 miles, had a 1/4 inch bolt in the RR. FYI, if you own a Stingray in Hawaii, buy jacking pucks. Try getting one lifted here without them. Since we're on the subject, which pucks does anyone recommend?? Thanks in advance.
I have "Lock In Leave In Jacking Pads Pucks" designed for the C7. They are black and some form of plastic, once you snap them into the regular jack receiver holes, they stay in place. They are not really noticeable unless you get down and look for them. Mine have been in without issue for 2 years.

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
278 Posts
Guessing that is a puncture. Lucky for you, it appears in a location that can be repaired, if you don't already have a patch in that tire.

Since you have a Z51, problems with re-mounting the tire will be nil.

Go to Discount Tire and buy their certificates. It's a couple hundred dollars, but it will cover future roadhazard replacements if not repairable, subject to minimum tread depth.

A good investment in TX.

·
18,670 Posts
Like jsvette's option. Another option which I have is:

Corvette Jacking Pucks

They are not lock in place, but installable by hand in seconds. They "live" in my cargo cubby when not being used. Precision made by one of our vendors, in the USA. If you have side skirts, recommend you consider the extended height version.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Like jsvette's option. Another option which I have is:

Corvette Jacking Pucks

They are not lock in place, but installable by hand in seconds. They "live" in my cargo cubby when not being used. Precision made by one of our vendors, in the USA. If you have side skirts, recommend you consider the extended height version.
John, if these lock in place is there a reason that you need to remove these?

·
Administrator
16,510 Posts
John, if these lock in place is there a reason that you need to remove these?
The vendor does not recommend it: "Although this tool is not intended to be permanently installed, it can be temporarily secured in place when performing maintenance for an extended period or taking a quick trip to a service garage. In this mode, the spacer is removed and the T-nut is re-installed until there is about 1/8" to 3/16" space between the T-nut and the washer. The tool is then inserted into the chassis jack point and the puck is turned clockwise a couple of turns until the tool is snugged up against the chassis. The washer prevents the tool from scraping against the chassis while turning the puck to secure it in place. "

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
5 Posts
Got mine in the right rear after I got home from picking her up at the dealer. Did not hold air. Lost 2-3 pounds overnight twice. Took it to the local dealer and had a large nail in the tread. Thank God it was not in the sidewall. They fixed it quickly and rebalanced the tire for $20. Could not figure out where it could have picked up a nail, but she had 37 miles on her when I bought her, so she might have gotten it before I got her.

·
Administrator
16,510 Posts
Welcome to our forum BigMike5!:eek:nthego:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts