Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question about the SD Memory Card that fits in the glove box. Is there something special I need to do to have the system recognize a SD Memory Card? Unless I'm missing something (and there's a good possibility of that), my system doesn't seem to see it, even though I can take that same card (full of MP3 music), insert the SD Card into a USB adapter, plug it into any of the 3 USB ports, and the card is immediately recognized and plays the music files with no problem.

·
Registered
10,542 Posts
Others found that it was because they did not have a recognized format on their card. Is your card FAT32?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, FAT32. Albums ripped in MP3 format (192khz). Like I say, this memory card works perfectly when inserted into a USB adapter and inserted into any of the USB ports.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Is the card actually a fat32 formatted SD card, or another type that is converted when you use the adapter? Maybe that port is dead also..have you tried other SD cards in it??

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
It may be an obvious statement, but the slot in the glove box is for the PDR, not for music...

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It may be an obvious statement, but the slot in the glove box is for the PDR, not for music...

That's what I thought initially too, but according to the Infotainment System booklet, on page 23 under SD Card Read it says, "The SD card reader is for audio and video playback and uses the same controls as the USB port."

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I totally missed that memory card slot in the center console! The SD card works fine there, as does the two USB ports. Does the USB port behind the radio screen have a special purpose?

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Thanks, I totally missed that memory card slot in the center console! The SD card works fine there, as does the two USB ports. Does the USB port behind the radio screen have a special purpose?
Any mp3 usb device (ipod) or phone

·
Administrator
16,490 Posts
You can use it the same as the other USB ports. Some like to plug their phone in their, however some have found that if you store the phone in there plugged in, it can interfere with the infotainment screen. I had that happen on my XTS and therefor do not use it for that.

·
Registered
283 Posts
How do you format it on a MAC?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Thanks but found a step by step, here for anyone else that might need it...

ImageUploadedByCorvette Stingray Forum1412522259.158504.jpg

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
197 Posts
in the center "cubby" USB I have no problem with a Flash drive, and actually use it in my Impala. In the Vette.. and also my Yukon I use the SDcard slot in the console. Its just "Flush"not stinking out. If I had a spare SDcard with 32GB I'd also have it in my Impala. I have so many USB Flashs that I had to use one at least

·
Registered
131 Posts
is there a max size for an SD card to hold music and have the infotainment system understand it?

·
Registered
61 Posts
docMonty, I don't think there is a max size, at least for the PDR SD card that is in the glove box as long as it is formatted correctly and the file type is correct.
I used a utility on the Internet to format a 64GB as FAT32 and it worked fine. I had a 32GB that I ripped into a folder called music and the infotainment system found the music folder without any problem. Don't know what size you need but if it is formatted as a FAT32 and contains MP3 files you should not have any problem. Others on the forums may have experience with other sizes and file types.

·
Registered
660 Posts
FYI I have found that WMA format works as well. Be careful using a long USB in the dash port as you can close the cubby holes door on it. Not that I am stupid enough to have done that! OK once!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Also it take mine a while to recognize the USB sticks. Don't know if it is time based or starts.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I currently and successfully have my 15,000+ music collection stored on a 128GB SD, installed in center console SD slot (I don't think '16s have this slot any longer). The key is that you need to format your card using NTFS or FAT32. Both work, but I've had more consistency with FAT32. The issue is that you'll probably need to download a program to format a larger (than 32GB, I think) card in FAT32, but it can be done.

My entire collection is properly tagged (using MP3Tag) and all artists, albums, songs, and playlists are properly recognized. With a collection this large, I can not use voice command to search for individual songs. but voice search still does work well for artists, albums and playlists.

Hope this info helps. Good Luck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts