Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Were going to the IMSA races @ LS & want a short couple hour exploratory fun drive. Looking at internet maps I have a possible one picked out & would like opinions. Leaving the track take Laurel Grade Rd. to E. Carmel Valley Rd. left. Take Carmel Valley Rd. to Salinas & Hwy 68 back to Monterey. Any clue as to miles, time, radar traps on race weekends, or a better route?

·
Registered
10,542 Posts
Do you mean the following?

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Lag...ed38fee74e!2m2!1d-121.755504!2d36.5835713!3e0

I would not do that. I would drive the following instead:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Lag...ed38fee74e!2m2!1d-121.755504!2d36.5835713!3e0

I love the Monterey Bay area, and, although I have spent a lot of time there, I can never get enough of it. Also, do yourself a favor and go to the Monterey Bay Aquarium (even if you have never liked aquariums). Visit Cannery Row. Plan to just spend some relaxing time there taking the town, the bay, the air, the sights, the friendly people, all in.

Reactions: jsvette

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Great area and also spend as much time there as possible. The Laurel Grade Roads is scenic but a short drive . The Carmel Valley drive ( G16) is a wonderful drive but one lane , narrow roadway not allowing for speed ( great on a motorcycle). Also that will take you South ending up in Greenfield. You would then have to go North on 101 to Salinas and back through the 68 to Monterey. Not really a scenic drive.

Perhaps more enjoyable would be to take Laurel Grade over to Carmel Valley and turn right and go back to Highway 1. You will be in Carmel which is a nice little town for food and shopping ( if the wife is going). At Highway 1 do not turn left and go South. Highway 1 washed out several miles South around Big Sur and you will not be able to get through. Head North on 1 and take the 17 mile drive from Carmel to Pacific Grove. When in PG head to the water (couple of blocks west) and take the short scenic drive along the water to Monterrey. Check out the Aquarium the shops along Cannery Row etc. You can also take 1 North to Santa Cruz for more sight seeing along the coast.
I should add nether of these drives are really set up for speed. They are beautiful scenic drives that are meant to be enjoyed at a slower pace so you can take in the scenery rather than concentrating on eating up roadway.

For a great meal after 1600 check out the Mission Ranch Inn in Carmel. Recommend reservations for a nice dinner. Owned by a gentleman named Clint Eastwood . Used to be able to see him at the piano bar on some nights but i don't think he is getting out as much lately.

I'm jealous . Have a fun trip.

Reactions: jsvette
1 - 3 of 3 Posts